• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Wutz Up Wit Da Spelinz???

Mean Green z28

I'm trying to figure out why most on here type as normal humanoids do, proper grammar/wording/punctuations/etc. and then there are some who think the forum is a cell phone and type in txt language and whatevet shorten form or number possible to replace a few letters. Not only is it annoying at times 'cos it' takes 3.5 times as long to read, but when the person isn't very adept with the rules of grammar/etc. it just becomes hell to try and understand. I feel like Mr. Frodo trying to get the ring into the fire! :alc:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm trying to figure out why most on here type as normal humanoids do, proper grammar/wording/punctuations/etc. and then there are some who think the forum is a cell phone and type in txt language and whatevet shorten form or number possible to replace a few letters. Not only is it annoying at times 'cos it' takes 3.5 times as long to read, but when the person isn't very adept with the rules of grammar/etc. it just becomes hell to try and understand. I feel like Mr. Frodo trying to get the ring into the fire! :alc:

Preaching to the choir as far as I'm concerned ;)

If u figure it out, lemme know too.

tru dat bro. itz bin pisn me off 4 a wyl nw n i nvr wntd 2 say n'e'tin bout it. crap ... I can't even type like that nomatter how hard I try. :alc: I see you guy's replies to some of the infamous 'posts' but nobody made a thread about it. So I thought I'd get it out there and also get a couple posts out of it ... lol, post whore!

ha ha there are quite a few fellows who cant spell straight! and they try to use the the whole 'sms' lingo to cover up!

Glad someone brought this up! Cause it very irritating at times..

lolz.. gues am 1 o dem boss.. hehe... wel in ma part frankly, it aint any spellin mistakez or nada.. simply cuz i find it far more easier tryin 2 get ma thoughtz out quicker rather dan havin prob like bout 4 linez o text for a simple 2 linez o shortened text .. lolz.. though it requirez some processin capabilities ;-)

Zz

lolz.. gues am 1 o dem boss.. hehe... wel in ma part frankly, it aint any spellin mistakez or nada.. simply cuz i find it far more easier tryin 2 get ma thoughtz out quicker rather dan havin prob like bout 4 linez o text for a simple 2 linez o shortened text .. lolz.. though it requirez some processin capabilities ;-)

Zz

yeah, but how hard is it to press the 'S' key and not the 'Z' key? I'm surprised you actually used 'S' in capabilities and not 'Z'!!! I was thinking for a bit that your Z key was stollen buy the SMS police. Sorry, not many people have installed 'Zz text 6.0' to understand it quick. we have to download it and translate in to 'whateveryoneelsespeaks 2.0' and then we go "AHA!"

I'm just playing dude, whatever makes it easier for you is fine ... just think of us for a change :alc:

Zz

Really.... it's very irritating to read this kind of posts. You might say "if it's irritating, don't read". Most of the time, I don't read. As Mean green said, it takes 3.5 times more than to read this type of a post. Also when finished reading with difficulty, you don't know what's the content, since your attention is on reading it, not understanding it. Some may be doing it because they're so used to it or simply to cover up the grammar or spelling mistakes (or may be to show off). Choice is yours.

yeah, but how hard is it to press the 'S' key and not the 'Z' key?

Damn, u beat me to it ;)

Really.... it's very irritating to read this kind of posts. You might say "if it's irritating, don't read". Most of the time, I don't read.

Lucky u. We mods have to read everything :alc:;)

yeah, but how hard is it to press the 'S' key and not the 'Z' key? I'm surprised you actually used 'S' in capabilities and not 'Z'!!! I was thinking for a bit that your Z key was stollen buy the SMS police. Sorry, not many people have installed 'Zz text 6.0' to understand it quick. we have to download it and translate in to 'whateveryoneelsespeaks 2.0' and then we go "AHA!"

I'm just playing dude, whatever makes it easier for you is fine ... just think of us for a change :alc:

hehe... I am so used to typing in shorten form and the letter Z is kinda like a good luck letter for me in a way.. lolz.. ok dokee brother.. if you find it so tough to decipher what i have been typing i will do a small change to my language pack so that every new post will be in 'whateveryoneelsespreaks 2.0' lolz.. but seriously, you have to get used to all forms of languages including the infamous SMS shortened type ;-)

and I need not type everything gramatically correct, it aint like you guys dont know english nah? common mistakes do arise when typing around... lolz..

Zz

Some may be doing it because they're so used to it or simply to cover up the grammar or spelling mistakes (or may be to show off). Choice is yours.

Exactly machan. It's kinda show off thing too I would say.

hehe... I am so used to typing in shorten form and the letter Z is kinda like a good luck letter for me in a way.. lolz.. ok dokee brother.. if you find it so tough to decipher what i have been typing i will do a small change to my language pack so that every new post will be in 'whateveryoneelsespreaks 2.0' lolz.. but seriously, you have to get used to all forms of languages including the infamous SMS shortened type ;-)

and I need not type everything gramatically correct, it aint like you guys dont know english nah? common mistakes do arise when typing around... lolz..

Zz

yeah good thought, personal preference/liberty should override any other. It should be up to the individuals to make the decision as to whether they make it easier for themselves to type or to make it easier for the readers to follow what's written.

This brings us to the necessity for a spell/grammar checker in our forum. (I mean attached to the interface we use to post)

yeah good thought, personal preference/liberty should override any other. It should be up to the individuals to make the decision as to whether they make it easier for themselves to type or to make it easier for the readers to follow what's written.

This brings us to the necessity for a spell/grammar checker in our forum. (I mean attached to the interface we use to post)

Can't agree. If ur objective is to offer useful info to others, then u have to present in a way said others can understand. Otherwise, u might as well be postwhoring.

Thats why PCs use standard protocols to communicate. U did IS at IIT, right? No need to elaborate, is there?

Exactly machan. It's kinda show off thing too I would say.

eh frankly bro.. typing in the shorthand form makes it seem as if a kiddo is typing. And from my point of view, aint nothing to be happy and proud about lolz.. i just typed in such format because i was under the impression that most of the people do know to decipher the words for the real meaning and also that it was far more easier putting ideas into paragraphs rather than typing it in whole.

lolz.. am showin off ;-) ya ppl cnt type lik dis nymore lmao.. strt lernin n join da clb heehe...

Zz

U mean an auto spell checker. U must be kidding.... have a heart for neXGen. If there's a spell checker he'll have to go through the spell checking each and every single word (Not in the dictionary....Ignore... Ignore... Ignore) :lol:

To be honest guys, I am glad somebody brought this up, its been a bit annoying for me too, actually, I don't think its a form of short hand or anything (nexGen don't mean to argue with you, I am not challenging your position, if you use it cos its short hand we believe you)

But its somewhat part of a wannabe phenomena atleast in some cases, like all these dudes who are trying to act and speak, and sometimes even sing like African Americans or West Londoners.

I mean don't get me wrong, I am all for personal liberties, people should have the right to dress, and speak like they want to as long as it doesnt interfere with civil liberties of other individuals.

But when people come and speak to you in Singhalese as if they only started learning the language 2 years back, and old mates suddenly start speaking as if they are rapping in a feeble voice, and people in public forums write articles (sometimes very good ones) that you cant make heads or tails of for sometime well .......... I dunno.

And Isuru bro yes diversity might be the essence of life, but following your argument further on people may post in french, spanish or even japanese and some members would be able to understand most wont.

I think if people wants to write in a particular way, thats fine I guess, we cant stop them, but dont think bad of us if we do not respond, not because we don't want to, but we just dont get it :lol:

The Don

Do keep in mind, dude, that this spelling thing doesn't only refer to u. There are a few other culprits.

Speaking of which, wonder where WCC has been lately. No sign of him.

who's this dude? :lol:

U mean an auto spell checker. U must be kidding.... have a heart for neXGen. If there's a spell checker he'll have to go through the spell checking each and every single word (Not in the dictionary....Ignore... Ignore... Ignore) :lol:

Hey there, that's an insult coupled with name calling. We don't want it here do we?

Well I agree with the concerns expressed here, I guess the message is to promote "legible writing" (than forsing in any sense)... okey! but have I been all that bad with my language, i mean i try to ellaborate most times, in doing so i tend to make the odd spelling mistake. but i must confess and concede that i do have a problem writing short sentences (long sentences invaribly kills legibility)

Can't agree. If ur objective is to offer useful info to others, then u have to present in a way said others can understand. Otherwise, u might as well be postwhoring.

Thats why PCs use standard protocols to communicate. U did IS at IIT, right? No need to elaborate, is there?

u have to agree becuase i am in your camp(promoting understandable standard language) albeit being a culprit before this thread was posted. :D

And yes I remember TCP/IP etc. etc. but I don't recall doing any IS at IIT ;)

U mean an auto spell checker. U must be kidding.... have a heart for neXGen. If there's a spell checker he'll have to go through the spell checking each and every single word (Not in the dictionary....Ignore... Ignore... Ignore) ;)

lolz.. how thoughful of you ash.. how about i keep a dictionary right next to me and then start my posting? Will that be far more easier for me and will it benefit the forum even more? ;-) Dont sweat about a dictionary.. I ve got all the words I need in my mind :-)

@ Don - hehe.. appreciate your thoughts bro.. believe me it aint for no style or taboo that most people type that way.. or maybe others do it for style.. who knows? As for me, it s more like I could keep on typing forever (if you know what i mean). But basically, a strict rule relating to the posting in an abbreviated manner would just be stripping a member of their basic rights but its common sense that you have to post in English in an English forum ;-)... totally agree with you Don! No worries because pointing out members' mistake is far more better than ignoring the members as a whole especially in this matter. Cheerz!! :-)

@ Pericles - Dude, you took away my fear of being the only one brought up to the table about this matter :-). Where are the rest? Probably could start another thread with shorthand activated with them nah? ;-)

@ Isuru - Diversity yeah!! Problem is.. culture not accepted sniff :-( .. lolz..

Zz

@ Isuru - Diversity yeah!! Problem is.. culture not accepted sniff :-( .. lolz..

Zz

Alas where did I mention the word diversity in my post albeit using the word personal liberties? However I need to make this clear again, I am for promoting more understandable writing, if the means are discriminatory language and name calling, then it's not very nice and is the incorrect approach. We can just emphasize the bright side of standard language and leave the individuals to make their own decisions! hope I offended no one.

Alas where did I mention the word diversity in my post albeit using the word personal liberties? However I need to make this clear again, I am for promoting more understandable writing, if the means are discriminatory language and name calling, then it's not very nice and is the incorrect approach. We can just emphasize the bright side of standard language and leave the individuals to make their own decisions! hope I offended no one.

Man.. wicked! I have never seen such selfless "intellectuals" in any forums!! ;-)

Zz