• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Need help in making a decision

AVANTE

Hi dear AL members. So that red Wingroad got sold and our plans to get an Alto RS went down the toilet. So now, for the sake of my mom, I just came back home after inspecting 2 Nissan K11s. Here are the cars:

1st Car is a red colored 2002 model, AK12 (I believe this is 1400cc and not 1300cc like the normal K12?)registered 2004. 135k km on the clock. Owned by a lady doctor. The bonnet needs some polishing and headlight covers need changing.Car drives alright except there is a soda-can shaking sound in the drivers side coming from the bonnet. I think its the timing belt and the owner said the same..this did me a frightening because 135k without a timing belt change is scary. Asking 1.68 mil last.

#2 car is a silver 2008 Bolero Autech registered in 2010. Mint car, has all the great gadgets & wood interior panels are nice too. Original Autech wheels & bolero shell. 45k km on the clock. Asking 2.2 mil final.

Questions:

#1) would the timing belt have caused any damage by now if the car was running normally? I heard that engines like the 4AGE can escape the valve-piston affair incase the belt snaps..has this happened to this K12 too? Cuz I'm satisfied with this car otherwise.

#2) Also since we are trying to save on cash, will this red K12 be a better buy?

#3) Are the asking prices too much on both cars? I get a feeling they are slightly above market prices but I'm no expert.

Hope this question doesn't sound silly.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by □AVANTE□

So are you set on one of these cars? Because for a 2.0 - 2.2 mil budget I wouldn't consider Japanese cars if I'm trying to save on cash because:

- High probability of needing major repairs

- Spare parts are hard to come by: have to wander around searching for recon spares

- Most Jap cars in this price range are abused to death by now

So if I were you I'd be looking at a Perodua Viva 2012+ one for 2.2mil. You'll be able to find one a 1st - 3rd owner car with service records and It still has the agent support too.

If you can extend your budget to 2.3-2.4 mil you can go for a 2015+ Axia.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, □AVANTE□ said:

Hi dear AL members. So that red Wingroad got sold and our plans to get an Alto RS went down the toilet. So now, for the sake of my mom, I just came back home after inspecting 2 Nissan K11s. Here are the cars:

1st Car is a red colored 2002 model, AK12 (I believe this is 1400cc and not 1300cc like the normal K12?)registered 2004. 135k km on the clock. Owned by a lady doctor. The bonnet needs some polishing and headlight covers need changing.Car drives alright except there is a soda-can shaking sound in the drivers side coming from the bonnet. I think its the timing belt and the owner said the same..this did me a frightening because 135k without a timing belt change is scary. Asking 1.68 mil last.

#2 car is a silver 2008 Bolero Autech registered in 2010. Mint car, has all the great gadgets & wood interior panels are nice too. Original Autech wheels & bolero shell. 45k km on the clock. Asking 2.2 mil final.

Questions:

#1) would the timing belt have caused any damage by now if the car was running normally? I heard that engines like the 4AGE can escape the valve-piston affair incase the belt snaps..has this happened to this K12 too? Cuz I'm satisfied with this car otherwise.

#2) Also since we are trying to save on cash, will this red K12 be a better buy?

#3) Are the asking prices too much on both cars? I get a feeling they are slightly above market prices but I'm no expert.

Hope this question doesn't sound silly.

Thanks in advance!

And a person knowing that the timing belt replacement is due and hearing a rattle probably from one of the cam bearings or adjusters, and yet failing to act 

you should not buy cars from people like that, imagine what else has been neglected

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

First things first...you need to do more research on the car !

K12 is the series....so a K12 March is a 3rd generation March.

All "1300cc" March are code named AK12 and came with the CR12DE engine which is 1240cc...so it actually is NOT 1300cc

1400cc March are all AWD variants and code named BNK12 and has 1386cc

1500cc March are FF and code named YK12 and came with the HR15DE engine with 1498cc

1. The CR12DE engine comes with a timing chain. The rattling could be that the tensioner is gone or the sprokets and the chain itself is worn out and causing a rattle...either way those need to be changed and everything lined up again....doubt any other major issues would be there. But the fact that the owner knowing the issue never fixed it (assuming it has been there for awhile) and never even got a diagnostic report or a quote for the fix shows that the owner did not care a rats ***. SO there might be other hidden gremlins...stay away from it.

2. Bolero...okay...looks funny...but sure...

either way..do not give in to shiny bits and pieces...it is still a 11 year old car....I don't see much point in worrying about resale value because when you sell it off it will be a 15 year old car atleast. Your main concern should be to get the car in the best possible condition for the money you can afford. Not get any car (in this case a car that seems ot be in the worst shape) thinking of ease of resale. Remember...a good 15 year old car with lesser appeal is a lot easier to sell than a POS car with mass appeal. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks to all of you guys for the info! I think I'm gonna pass on the red K12. Also thanks @iRage for the brief guide! By the way @Hyaenidae I considered the Perodua, But i read that it does 12kmpl. Otherwise its a nice car...I'm so confused on getting a car, every car has a major problem, price too high or is just crap. Plus it's made worse by the need for a strict hatchback.

Edited by □AVANTE□

57 minutes ago, □AVANTE□ said:

Thanks to all of you guys for the info! I think I'm gonna pass on the red K12. Also thanks @iRage for the brief guide! By the way @Hyaenidae I considered the Perodua, But i read that it does 12kmpl. Otherwise its a nice car...I'm so confused on getting a car, every car has a major problem, price too high or is just crap. Plus it's made worse by the need for a strict hatchback.

Can't expect more than that in the city limits. I've been told it does 14-16 under mixed conditions

Edited by Hyaenidae

1 hour ago, Hyaenidae said:

Can't expect more than that in the city limits. I've been told it does 14-16 under mixed conditions

I initially thought it was 12 for mixed conditions. If what you say is true then I'm searching for one starting from tomorrow morning!