• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Change from fan clutch to electric cooling fan

Niran gomes

Hi,

To kick things off, i am by no means a pro in automotive mods, nor do i totally understand the consequences from any modifications i do to my vehicle.

I own a Nissan Laurel c34 with the RB20E under the hood, this particular engine has a thermostatic fan clutch for the radiator, ive already replaced it once, but the problem is the annoying sound it makes. So my solution was to change to a electronic fan ( which again i do not know if itll solve the problem)

Now what i wanna know is, will this bring harm to the engine in terms of cooling which i doubt since all that matters is the amount of air flow. And are there any custom kits for this particular application, if so where can i find it? 

Again, im just a beginner and i dont know jack about cars. Take it easy on me

Thanks in advance.

theoretically, should be possible. Practical issues

1. How to ensure turning on/off at correct temperature. Otherwise need to keep running always-> reduce fan lifetime, brush wear, poor emission due to overcooling of engine 

2.if fan has no individual belt,  still need to keep the old pulley running or replace the belt with a shorter one

3.might need a more powerful battery,alternator 

7 hours ago, ajm said:

theoretically, should be possible. Practical issues

1. How to ensure turning on/off at correct temperature. Otherwise need to keep running always-> reduce fan lifetime, brush wear, poor emission due to overcooling of engine 

2.if fan has no individual belt,  still need to keep the old pulley running or replace the belt with a shorter one

3.might need a more powerful battery,alternator 

Hi ajm,

Thank you for your response, yes i thought of those issues, but there are fan controllers with the kits they sell do they? I've seen alot a diy's on YouTube and most of them come with a switch, and I've seen some with a temperature probe as well,

About the battery and alternator though im not too sure. But again it would be great help if you tell me where i can find these fan kits. Thanks.

36 minutes ago, kush said:

Some times the water pump is behind the fan driven by the same belt, check.

You may have to fix a thermostat switch to the radiator usual place to control the fan.

Yes you are correct, that switch will have to go to the coolant temperature sensor location, but doing so will cut the signal to the ECU, will that effect drastically?

The fan clutch is mounted onto the water pump pulley by four bolts. So you can just take the fan clutch out without having to worry about the water pump pulley, belt or anything. 

Apart from the things mentioned above, you will need to make sure that the direction of airflow is the same in the electric fan that you ware using. Also make sure that your fan is wired to run when the AC compressor is engaged. 

If your car is just a regular road car, I'd simply try and get hold of a good viscous fan clutch (DAYCO is a good brand) and install that in an effort to not mess with the car's electrics and to keep things original. But that's just me. :) 

On 7/24/2019 at 11:08 PM, Niran gomes said:

Hi,

To kick things off, i am by no means a pro in automotive mods, nor do i totally understand the consequences from any modifications i do to my vehicle.

I own a Nissan Laurel c34 with the RB20E under the hood, this particular engine has a thermostatic fan clutch for the radiator, ive already replaced it once, but the problem is the annoying sound it makes. So my solution was to change to a electronic fan ( which again i do not know if itll solve the problem)

Now what i wanna know is, will this bring harm to the engine in terms of cooling which i doubt since all that matters is the amount of air flow. And are there any custom kits for this particular application, if so where can i find it? 

Again, im just a beginner and i dont know jack about cars. Take it easy on me

Thanks in advance.

Hi, agreeing with Davy,ever thought of the strain on your cooling system and more importantly the charring system?

Edited by Twin Turbo