• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Mitsubishi Lancer CS3 or Yaris ?

Radar

Question

Dear All,

I have been reading lots of threads and almost all the things I have learned about cars because of your valuable and unbiased reviews.At the moment I'm ready to buy my very first car and have managed to fund maximum of 2.8 Mil.

Please give me your kind advice to select a car from below mentioned cars which I have selected with my knowledge.If you can suggest me any car otherthan them, highly appreciate it.

My main concerns are,

i). Reliability

ii). Fuel efficiency (I prefer go for a manual since I'm living in Badulla and less traffic )

iii).Im not think much about resale value since I don't have any idea about funding again for a apgrade in the future with my other plans (like construction of my own home etc..)

Here are the models I have selected with my knowledge.

1.Mitsubishi Lancer CS3 manual 2011/2012

2.Toyota 121 Manual 1500CC 2003

3.Toyota Yaris 1300CC 2008

4.Toyota Vios 2005

5.Mazda Axela 2003 

Think to go for a manual and looking for your kind advices I have no enough experience about cars and only expertised about motorcycles.

Thank you.

Radar

Edited by Radar
  • Like 2

Thank you all for sharing your valuable ideas and experiences on each and every vehicle which I was suggested.You all are very helpful and I have been lucky enough to have real expert advises here.

I don't have much experiences about vehicles but everything mentioned by @iRage are absolutely true with my company owned Mitsubishi L200 double cab (2000 manufacturured) which I have been driving for 3 yrs.Driving it feels like a car and not hard to handle like the 2009 Hilux.Back seat also more comfortable than the Hilux and not moving here and there all over the seat while taking bends in a road like Badulla-Nuwaraeliya.Both of them are manual but L200 was much fun to drive than the Hilux as I experienced.Only one bad thing about L200 is it was feeling bit under powered while travelling in hilly areas.I think its because 2500CC engine.Other than that nothing is wrong with its and most of the spares (for running repairs) also available in Badulla and Bandarawela.As everyone mentioned about handling of Mitsubishis are absolutely correct with that L200 too.

Now I have my heart set on Lancer and eagerly waiting to drive it and take care of it like john wick ☺️ .I prefer CS3 but its going little over 3 Mil for a 2011+ model as @Davy mentioned.I will try my best to expand my budget at leat up to 3 Mil while searching a well maintained one.

I'm not much experienced about gear boxes and please educate me if you have time.

1.How reliable is the trip-tronic gearbox ? Since most of the CS3s (2011+) I have seen were having trip-tronic.
Any guesses about fuel figures in Badulla area? I'm not much concern about fuel efficiency. But..less than 10 is beyond my affordability.

2.How is CS1 2007 with a manual gear box? If I could nor go for a 2011+ CS3 I will definitely go for
it.Quoted prices (2.6-2.8 Mil) also match with my budget.

As @trinityexperiences I think It will full fill my requirements.Please let me know that is it ok to go for a CS1 manual than a one with a auto box?
I think I'm skilled enough about clutch balancing etc.Since I have driven that manual L200 without any worries.

Thank you !

Edited by Radar

1. @Sampath Gunasekera 's CS1 has an INVECS-II Tiptronic  transmission, AFAIK no trouble after 100,000+ kms.

On 2/26/2012 at 8:38 PM, trinity said:

Hi mate..

I drive a CS1 for the last 2 & half years, im really happy about it... well it doesn't pull like other cars which are having 1500cc engines. But it does very well in its segment. The car is big and spacious.

I've driven it to Reverston with 4 people on. Did over 155 kmph on E1 with 4 people on. Was able to keep up with a Montero, Rexton and a L200 From vauniya to Kurunegala (Speed around 100-110) with 4 people on. And was able to keep up with a Pajero & a Corolla 121 from Kataragama to Marara with 5 people on, also i was able to go to hambantota from Kalutara in 5 hours with four people on (no E01 at that time) etc...

in all these tours the car had trunk full of baggage's. What i wanna say is that even though the car does not pull like 1.5 / 1.6 & 2 L cars, this give you enough power to do your day to day travelling without a hassle. Car does around 10 in the city and 13 - 14 in outstations (if you maintain the RPM @ 2000). Car did about 11-12 in the above trips which i have mentioned. Mainly because i kept a high speed through out.

On a side note, i've heard that CS3 with 1.6 engine does very well on fuel while giving a very good power,, Anyway, both cars are very good & reliable rides.. if you could spend extra buck go for the CS3 else, CS1 is a very good car for a lesser amount..

Hope this helps,,,

All the best mate... :)

Edited by Hyaenidae
  • Thanks 1

CS1 auto will not perform like the manual. And it will not give fuel figures like manual. @Sampath Gunasekera Please pitch in on this. 

I usually changed gears at 3000 rpm . And driving it in traffic was not an issue for me , in fact I enjoyed it most of the time. Even now I prefer my EX was a manual. 

Manual is reliable and cheap to maintain. I had the original pressure plate on when I sold the car with after driving it 225000kms. Changed the clutch only once. Aftermarket clutch plate (Aisin) cost me around Rs.5,000/- I think . The only expensive part was the release bearing. 

Anyways the only thing that worries me about the gearbox in an Auto CS car that has a CVT box is that finding a replacement in case the existing one goes kaput. 

Please call our preferred Mitsu parts seller Mr Mahinda and inquire about this if possible. @Davy and @The Don what’s your take on this? 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, trinity said:

Anyways the only thing that worries me about the gearbox in an Auto CS car that has a CVT box is that finding a replacement in case the existing one goes kaput. 

AFAIK the auto gearbox in CS series is what you call a "manumatic", not CVT.  There are two INVECS - II gearboxes, INVECS - II Automatic and Manumatic. We have the Automatics on our CY series, CVT was only available on INVECS - III series.

I could be wrong though... @Sampath Gunasekera can give a definitive answer I think

• Like 1

2 hours ago, trinity said:

CS1 auto will not perform like the manual. And it will not give fuel figures like manual. @Sampath Gunasekera Please pitch in on this. 

I usually changed gears at 3000 rpm . And driving it in traffic was not an issue for me , in fact I enjoyed it most of the time. Even now I prefer my EX was a manual. 

Manual is reliable and cheap to maintain. I had the original pressure plate on when I sold the car with after driving it 225000kms. Changed the clutch only once. Aftermarket clutch plate (Aisin) cost me around Rs.5,000/- I think . The only expensive part was the release bearing. 

Please call our preferred Mitsu parts seller Mr Mahinda and inquire about this if possible. @Davy and @The Don what’s your take on this? 

Thank you so much @trinity.I have read almost all your comments about your manual CS1 and I think its the most suitable one for me.

Quoted prices for 2007 manual  CS1 glx models are between 2.6-2.8 Mil and some are available with good condition+less mileages.

I will try to find a brand new imported one and with good condition.I think I will have to expand my budget at least to 3Mil if I go to a 2.8 Mil car as explained by @iRage (Timing belt replacement and other repairs etc..)

Few CS3 cars also have advertised and quoted prices are slightly above 3 Mil for 2011 models with triptonic gears.Its very hard to find a CS3 with a manual gearbox and well maintained.Also I think its better to avoid triptonic since I'm living far from colombo and better to stay with CS1 with cheap and reliable manual gearbox.

Thanks !

2 hours ago, Hyaenidae said:

AFAIK the auto gearbox in CS series is what you call a "manumatic", not CVT.  There are two INVECS - II gearboxes, INVECS - II Automatic and Manumatic. We have the Automatics on our CY series, CVT was only available on INVECS - III series.

I could be wrong though... @Sampath Gunasekera can give a definitive answer I think

I don't have any idea about this triptonic transmission or gearbox.Most of the CS3s (2010+ )which were advertised are having this gear system (CVT I guess).Are they hard to find in Sri Lanka for replacement?? ( I think this is what mentioned by @trinity) And also its reliability with compared to manual ??Please share your ideas.

IMG-20190728-WA0004.jpg

Edited by Radar

Here is something to think about....a lot of people put down cars and freak out saying "no parts..no parts..no parts". But the reality of the matter is quite a few of us (current and past in the AL forum community) have and have had rather uncommon cars. We have not had our cars sitting on stilts for long legths of time because of the lack of parts or anything of the sort. 

You just need to plan ahead...have some basic parts...etc...true it takes a little bit more discipline than the average car owner in SL (in other countries the dealer would take care of all this for you) and you might not get ultra cheap parts at Panchikawatte...but it is not all doom and gloom. So a Mitsubishi tiptronic gear box might not be common, but again, its not rocket science either requiring extremely rare components. Also, isn't this a standard tiptronic ? I know people who have rebuilt tiptronics on the Toyotas...so how hard could this be in case it needs to be rebuilt ? Also, weren't there other Mitsubishi's of the same era that had tiptronic gearboxes ? The Pajero did (true it is different) and those have seem to have weathered quite well (I have not heard of a whole heap of Pajero tiptronic gearboxes being dumped somewhere because of failures)...so it is hard to thikn the Lancer unit would be any worst.

Edited by iRage
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, iRage said:

Here is something to think about....a lot of people put down cars and freak out saying "no parts..no parts..no parts". But the reality of the matter is quite a few of us (current and past in the AL forum community) have and have had rather uncommon cars. We have not had are cars sitting on stilts for long legths of time because of the lack of parts or anything of the sort. 

You just need to plan ahead...have some basic parts...etc...true it takes a little bit more discipline than the average car owner in SL (in other countries the dealer would take care of all this for you) and you might not get ultra cheap parts at Panchikawatte...but it is not all doom and gloom. So a Mitsubishi tiptronic gear box might not be common, but again, its not rocket science either requiring extremely rare components. Also, isn't this a standard tiptronic ? I know people who have rebuilt tiptronics on the Toyotas...so how hard could this be in case it needs to be rebuilt ? Also, weren't there other Mitsubishi's of the same era that had tiptronic gearboxes ? The Pajero did (true it is different) and those have seem to have weathered quite well (I have not heard of a whole heap of Pajero tiptronic gearboxes being dumped somewhere because of failures)...so it is hard to thikn the Lancer unit would be any worst.

Thank you so much @iRage for your honest explanation.I think you are absolutely correct.It would be bit difficult to find spares but its possible I guess.I have seen Lots of car enthusiasts have been using very rare and uncommon models in Sri Lanka.I will have to plan ahead as you mentioned and as per experience if anyone truly loves for something he will find out resources because of the law of attraction.

Thanks again @iRage.

Edited by Radar

What about getting something like a Civic ES5? You could easily grab one around 2.5-3 million. I mean it’s one of those true Honda’s you could buy (non hybrid and non turbo). Usually those cars have been owned by enthusiasts most of the time, so a well cared one is easy to come by. I have driven a 190,000km clocked one and I couldn’t even believe that it had done that much as the car was in pristine condition. The only problem is that the owner had moved abroad and his father hadn’t took much car of it (no tuneups or wheel alignment). But the problems you see in today’s Hondas, such as fast worn interior bits (specially the steering wheels) are not there. They were solidly built like tanks.

Keep your main target as the Lancer, as I would recommend it without any doubt for comfort. Haven’t driven Mitsus other than L200 Animal and Outlander 2.0. 

On 7/28/2019 at 11:48 PM, Radar said:

I don't have any idea about this triptonic transmission or gearbox.Most of the CS3s (2010+ )which were advertised are having this gear system (CVT I guess).Are they hard to find in Sri Lanka for replacement?? ( I think this is what mentioned by @trinity) And also its reliability with compared to manual ??Please share your ideas.

IMG-20190728-WA0004.jpg

Well, CVTs aren't as abuse-proof as manuals or conventional autos, regardless of the brand. You'll have to make sure the car has been well taken care of before buying a CVT  (this is true for manuals too but I think you get the point - manuals are more "resistant" when it comes to harsh conditions)

But I don't think you'll have to worry about parts availability though, I mean it's not like recon spares are hard to come by - the Mitsubishi agent still supports the CS series so you can let the "dealer take care of all repairs and stuff" as Irage said but the caveat is that brand new parts cost a ton compared to recon parts.

That said, a Lancer of this vintage which has been maintained at least to a marginally acceptable level needing a complete replacement or rebuild of the transmission is very, very unlikely.

Edited by Hyaenidae

On 7/29/2019 at 1:46 AM, trinity said:

I am with iRage on this one.

There are a couple of questions you need to ask yourself when in doubt about something on a car you are interested in. The first is to find out if the component in question has any inherent issues. Does the TIPTRONIC transmission on the Lancer have any issues? Not that I am aware of. So why worry? :) I guess the point I am trying to make is to make an informed decision. Look around, ask owners, read forums etc. Other than that, you shouldn't be overly anticipating something that is unlikely to happen. 

CVTs have been in production long enough for manufacturers to iron out any reliability issues. In fact, most CVTs require less maintenance than conventional automatic transmissions. They're also slightly more economical to run compared to conventional auto.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2019 at 11:42 AM, iRage said:

Here is something to think about....a lot of people put down cars and freak out saying "no parts..no parts..no parts". But the reality of the matter is quite a few of us (current and past in the AL forum community) have and have had rather uncommon cars. We have not had our cars sitting on stilts for long legths of time because of the lack of parts or anything of the sort. 

3 hours ago, Davy said:

I am with iRage on this one.

There are a couple of questions you need to ask yourself when in doubt about something on a car you are interested in. The first is to find out if the component in question has any inherent issues. Does the TIPTRONIC transmission on the Lancer have any issues? Not that I am aware of. So why worry? :) I guess the point I am trying to make is to make an informed decision. Look around, ask owners, read forums etc. Other than that, you shouldn't be overly anticipating something that is unlikely to happen. 

CVTs have been in production long enough for manufacturers to iron out any reliability issues. In fact, most CVTs require less maintenance than conventional automatic transmissions. They're also slightly more economical to run compared to conventional auto.

Dropping in too much paranoia am I ?? :) Anyways I do agree with what you guys are saying. Hope OP is now having a clear idea of where he wants to head. 

4 hours ago, Davy said:

Amen to that. CVT's have been around for a while now - Nissan Primeras have them from way back as the 90's if i remember. There's actually no cause for un-necessary alarm. 

Edited by matroska

On 7/29/2019 at 11:42 AM, iRage said:

+1 on this. My Galant is on Tein Streetflex coilovers designed for the car and original Super Advan SA3R alloy wheels. Both are found in Sri Lanka. Also, a myriad of 'හොයන්න බෑ' parts are found and some are gotten either on the cheap or for free. So, parts can be found. It takes a little effort. 

Edited by Sierra Charlie
edit

1 hour ago, matroska said:

Amen to that. CVT's have been around for a while now - Nissan Primeras have them from way back as the 90's if i remember. There's actually no cause for un-necessary alarm. 

Nissans are notorious for CVT issues though...

I agree CVTs have been around for a while but the latest iteration of Lancer - the CY series - has suffered many CVT related issues (thankfully, agent didn't import the CVT CY to Sri Lanka)

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/lancer-tranny-drivetrain-tech/656040-cvt-transmission-problems.html

Interestingly, the manufacturer of that particular transmission is JATCO - one that manufactures transmissions for Nissan.

This is not to say the CVT CS1 is prone to failures - It just seems to me that CVTs hasn't caught up to manuals or conventional autos when it comes to ruggedness / resilience. 

Edited by Hyaenidae

40 minutes ago, Hyaenidae said:

JATCO - one that manufactures transmissions for Nissan.

yep Jatco is a Nissan subsidiary that makes - and used to make transmissions for Many Manufacturers including Mitsubishi and Mazda.

I had a 2002 Corolla 121 and still have a 2008 Yaris. The Yaris is sort of fun to chuck into corners but ridiculously under powered. The 121 was just a reasonably comfortable car to get from point A to B. (mine was an automatic btw). If you enjoy driving, I think you're better off avoiding them both.