• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Side Mirror Theft Toyota Premio,Ward Place

Dear Friends,

With great frustration i have to say that my Premio Mirrors been stolen by a thief last Monday during office hours when i parked it in the usual place inside a lane near to jetting colombo 07,Ward Place. Its so disappointing to see my newly bought,well cared  car which i bought from hard earned money fallen to this situation...:sad-smiley-017:

But somehow insured agreed to pay the quotation taken by a motor company followed with a police report..Even police is clueless..Unfortunately no CCTV Cameras there nearby as well... My worry is even once i refit the mirrors back still have to park the same place as my office doesn't provide any car park frustratingly..

How can i avoid such theft again? When i searched security alarms Sun Lanka fellow and few other places said that if a hard motion happen only alarm will on as mirror protection they dont guaranty. Im very upset with this situation and i cannot drive this without mirrors too...

Does a cable inside the minor really works?where and how to put it?? Security alarm is no point? they asked 9500/- from me for that..Or any other suggestions for me to avoid this????

luckily i reverted my G Superior, & Premio badge and other badges along with rear wiper and those are safe....

Seeking your kind and immediate help on this...

Thank you Guys..

• Sad 1

Sad to here this. These thieves are very much professional and your socks can be stolen while you are wearing your shoes. 

(1) I know one motor bike parked at Peoples Park, when give a simple pat or touch it warn us to be away.  (Too bad my friend had a habit giving a soft pat to that bike whenever he passes it and enjoyed the warning ?) .Try something more sensitive.

(2) Fold the mirrors and use a car cover to cover the car when you park there. Then they cannot repeat same thing easily.

Sorry to hear about the incident.

This might be a long shot when compared to installing a more sensitive alarm system, but have you considered installing a dashcam with parking mode and motion/impact triggered notifications to your phone? Something like the Blackvue DR750S-2CH costs in excess of about 50,000 LKR for just the cameras without the auxiliary power supply equipment, so I understand it might not be realistic. 

9 hours ago, Sampath Gunasekera said:

Sad to here this. These thieves are very much professional and your socks can be stolen while you are wearing your shoes. 

(1) I know one motor bike parked at Peoples Park, when give a simple pat or touch it warn us to be away.  (Too bad my friend had a habit giving a soft pat to that bike whenever he passes it and enjoyed the warning ?) .Try something more sensitive.

(2) Fold the mirrors and use a car cover to cover the car when you park there. Then they cannot repeat same thing easily.

Thanks brother... Using a car cover is fine but these typical jerks might go inside the car cover joyfully remove it and still vanish...I heard the cable thing at Darly road for mirrors..I don’t know how effective is that ...

9 hours ago, toyoLUV said:

sensitive alarms are the best choice however S#n  l#nka  do not issue a warranty against mirror theft?  is there any place which gives same?

No brother,they don’t give us a warranty at all...Just motion safety only as they said these thieves will use their own techniques to carefully remove lenses without any sound or motion where the alarm will fail for many times..

1 hour ago, Davy said:

This might be a long shot when compared to installing a more sensitive alarm system, but have you considered installing a dashcam with parking mode and motion/impact triggered notifications to your phone? Something like the Blackvue DR750S-2CH costs in excess of about 50,000 LKR for just the cameras without the auxiliary power supply equipment, so I understand it might not be realistic. 

Thanks for your feedback brother...

1 hour ago, Davy said:

What is the point, you give the pictures to the police they will ask you whether you know him (personal experience with a footage from a CCTV) 

In case of CCTV at least it is a deterrent, no body even notice these dash cams. They will be useful in case of an accident.

20 minutes ago, kush said:

What is the point, you give the pictures to the police they will ask you whether you know him (personal experience with a footage from a CCTV) 

In case of CCTV at least it is a deterrent, no body even notice these dash cams. They will be useful in case of an accident.

Police being lazy is not an issue with the dashcam. :) 

The type of dashcam I suggested is one that has parking more where you get a notification to your phone. So there's a chance you can get to your car before the thief snatches something off the car or even breaks in. 

• Like 1

Just a side note. Did you know that side mirror thieves specifically target premios and allions? The reason is they are expensive in the market and can be sold easily. They know how to rip the mirror off even if its retracted. They dont seem to target any other car at all nowadays.

One thing you can do is engrave your car's registration number on the mirrors. I dont know whether this facility is available in SL but that should help to keep the thieves off a bit.

Just a long shot...are there any street vendors where the car is parked ? or a security guard in a near y building who has line of sight to the car ? You  might want to befriend one of them...worked for me when I had to park the car on Marine drive and walk down Melbourne Ave to the office. Just bought the security guard drinks and chocolates and was nice to the guy and he considered my car äpe mahaththaya ge kar eka""

Might work...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Crosswind said:

Just a side note. Did you know that side mirror thieves specifically target premios and allions? The reason is they are expensive in the market and can be sold easily. They know how to rip the mirror off even if its retracted. They dont seem to target any other car at all nowadays.

One thing you can do is engrave your car's registration number on the mirrors. I dont know whether this facility is available in SL but that should help to keep the thieves off a bit.

True brother,but the thing is still i will lose the item and and imagine if its gone to Panchikawaththa ...:sad-smiley-017:

1 hour ago, iRage said:

Just a long shot...are there any street vendors where the car is parked ? or a security guard in a near y building who has line of sight to the car ? You  might want to befriend one of them...worked for me when I had to park the car on Marine drive and walk down Melbourne Ave to the office. Just bought the security guard drinks and chocolates and was nice to the guy and he considered my car äpe mahaththaya ge kar eka""

Might work...

Dear i Rage,the Road is next to Jetwing Colombo 07. So called posh colombo 07 houses are there ..Unfortunately mine was parked near an old house where an old couple only stays without CCTV or anything..i think my Bad Luck,,,or Karma..:(

Don't forget WagonRs

Kanishka, you are facing the sad reality of parking in public places in Colombo. There are thieves everywhere. All the suggestions above are good. They are:

1. Fitting a security system which activates on motion detection and 2 way alerts (you will get an alert on your remote when something happens)

2. Covering the car with a car cover after parking

3. Parking close to a home or office with CCTV

4. You can try to cables etc, but while as they will make it difficult to get the mirror off the car, they would probably damage it trying and that would mean replacement anyway. But anything that makes yours less easy to steal would hopefully encourage the thieves to go elsewhere

5. Use a dash cam with motion detection which will record anything that happens around the car even when parked. The slight problem here is when parked near a busy road you will run out of space quickly

And finally consider public transport options / taxis when working in offices which do not provide secure parking for their staff. 

On 7/19/2019 at 6:10 PM, The Don said:

Kanishka, you are facing the sad reality of parking in public places in Colombo. There are thieves everywhere. All the suggestions above are good. They are:

1. Fitting a security system which activates on motion detection and 2 way alerts (you will get an alert on your remote when something happens)

2. Covering the car with a car cover after parking

3. Parking close to a home or office with CCTV

4. You can try to cables etc, but while as they will make it difficult to get the mirror off the car, they would probably damage it trying and that would mean replacement anyway. But anything that makes yours less easy to steal would hopefully encourage the thieves to go elsewhere

5. Use a dash cam with motion detection which will record anything that happens around the car even when parked. The slight problem here is when parked near a busy road you will run out of space quickly

And finally consider public transport options / taxis when working in offices which do not provide secure parking for their staff. 

Dear Don,

Thank you very much for your detailed analysis and it is very helpful...Let me go ahead with security alarm as well as cable for the mirror inside and see..God knows what else will happen ?

Too sad to hear your story mate. Like others said, use a cover and give something to a security person in a nearby shop.

A thief had tried to rip of my Allion's mirror too, when it was being owned by my relation, and that was even when the car was parked in the hospital. Luckily the security person had arrived on time, and still has the signs of cut by a hot blade.

• Sad 1

On 7/20/2019 at 5:51 PM, Kanishka12345 said:

Dear Don,

Thank you very much for your detailed analysis and it is very helpful...Let me go ahead with security alarm as well as cable for the mirror inside and see..God knows what else will happen ?

My take is there is no point being too precious about the car. As long as insurance takes care of damage/ theft, you should just consider enjoying it. After a while you will realise the time effort spent to protecting it outweighs the benefit you get from it. 

We have resorted to self insuring our daily runner (3rd party) because once we counted the hassle and the deductions of having a comprehensive policy due to the car being a bit old, and the frequency of claims, made more sense just to pay for the damn repairs than pay for comprehensive insurance year after year. The car lives a hard life and accumulates bumps and scratches regularly and can't afford much downtime. So it only really stops for regular maintenance and repairs :) The rest is considered war paint. 

2 hours ago, The Don said:

We have resorted to self insuring our daily runner (3rd party) because once we counted the hassle and the deductions of having a comprehensive policy due to the car being a bit old, and the frequency of claims, made more sense just to pay for the damn repairs than pay for comprehensive insurance year after year

I am thinking of doing the same. Which car model is it, how is Spares availability?