• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Micro Panda 2018 AMT Transmission 1000L Problem

gallegedulan19

Question

HI,

I bought a Micro Panda 2018 Brand New 1000L AMT(Automatic Manual Transmission) car. Question is when I'm in high slope and there are traffic behind and front and only you can go step by step. How can I do so in these cars. Because when I do this either it goes fair amount to down of the hill. If I accelerate it goes like high speed. Could you please help me on this regard.

Thank You

8 answers to this question

On 7/9/2019 at 9:13 AM, gallegedulan19 said:

HI,

I bought a Micro Panda 2018 Brand New 1000L AMT(Automatic Manual Transmission) car. Question is when I'm in high slope and there are traffic behind and front and only you can go step by step. How can I do so in these cars. Because when I do this either it goes fair amount to down of the hill. If I accelerate it goes like high speed. Could you please help me on this regard.

Thank You

First of all, what you have bought is a car with a clutchless manual gearbox. Not an automatic gearbox.

Although marketing literature says 'automatic manual', mechanically its not. What it has is an electronic clutch that activates based on sensors. The electronic clutch has a short time lag before getting activated. Therefore, the car will go backwards on a slope, if you do not depress the brake pedal. And when you release the brake pedal, it will momentarily go backwards before moving forwards.

And the best part is, if you step hard on the accelerator to prevent the car from moving backwards on a slope, you will eventually ruin the gearbox.

This madness was in Europe for some time (thanks to Magnetti Marelli), but its no longer being fitted to European cars. However, Magnetti Marelli started selling these gearboxes to Maruti India sometime ago and fitted them to Celery-O and Bulto. I read somewhere that Geely used the same Magnetti Marelli gearbox for the LCs (Pandas).

The bottom line is you are stuck with it. There's no way out. When I had my Punto (with the Magnetti Marelli gearbox), I used the handbrake every time I stopped in traffic on a slope. Wears out brake shoes but there's no other option.

Edited by Crosswind
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Crosswind said:

And the best part is, if you step hard on the accelerator to prevent the car from moving backwards on a slope, you will eventually ruin the gearbox.

Isn't this the case for almost every kind of gearbox, they say 

Never hold the vehicle stationary while in gear on a hill with the accelerator, always apply the parking brake and/or service brake.

in my users manual.

Is left braking impossible on an AMT transmission, is the gear engaging lag that bad (left braking = holding the car on a steep hill pressing the service brake with your left foot so you can operate the throttle instantaneously with your right foot when the traffic begins to move)

• Like 1

The DA17 Suzuki Every has AMT gearbox as well on the N/A models, the earlier ones without the hill assist has the same issue. I have seen people use the left foot braking technique or using the hand brake to do hill starts

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hyaenidae said:

Isn't this the case for almost every kind of gearbox, they say 

in my users manual.

Is left braking impossible on an AMT transmission, is the gear engaging lag that bad (left braking = holding the car on a steep hill pressing the service brake with your left foot so you can operate the throttle instantaneously with your right foot when the traffic begins to move)

Yes. If you step hard on the accelerator, you will ruin any gearbox. But in a normal auto geared-car, you don't need to step hard on the pedal. In a car with a clutchless manual box, you have to step hard to avoid knocking the guy behind you. 

Left-foot braking is a terrible habit. I have seen Punto drivers using left foot to avoid moving backwards. I always used the handbrake instead, because I didn't want to carry that bad habit.  I tried to balance the accelerator pedal in the same way you would balance a clutch, but every time the foot is gently placed on the accelerator pedal, the  stupid sensor thinks its time to move forward.

The clutchless manual box is a bad bad bad idea. Here's James May trying to park a car with a clutchless manual box (unlike the Magnetti Marelli gear box,  this is a proper old-school clutchless manual box with manual shifters instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq6xDkmxcdk

• Like 2