• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Cannot operate car audio system, Only works in reverse gear

Yazi000

Question

From few days in my Honda Fit GP5 2014, the car audio system (pioneer AVH-265BT) can only operate on the reverse gear. If I'm not on the reverse gear setup is fully locked and I can't control anything. (Buttons are not working and display is turned off) To go to the menu or change the channel I have to put my car into the reverse gear. Does anyone have a clue about what's going on here?

12 answers to this question

10 minutes ago, Yazi000 said:

1. Does the radio function properly when you just turn it on using the ACC (pressing the push start button once) without starting the car?

No, Stereo is turning on, But screen and controllers other than volume key buttons are not working.

2. Say now you are playing a song or listening to radio somehow by keeping the car in the reverse gear. Now you put it into D. Does the music continues, or the system goes totally dead?

Yes, Music continues, and only volume key buttons are working. Screen turns off and no other button is working.

3. Does the camera work?

Yes, Camera works, But not turning on automatically on reverse gear, I have to go to the audio system menu and select the reverse camera.

Sorry for not being specific in the question. Do you have any clue?

Okay. There is only one thing left to do as I mentioned before. You can factory reset the head unit by putting it into reverse gear. If that doesn’t fix it, take it to a car audio guy. Probably a 5 minutes job.

• Thanks 1

Please clarify.

1.Does the radio function properly when you just turn it on using the ACC (pressing the push start button once) without starting the car?

2.Say now you are playing a song or listening to radio somehow by keeping the car in the reverse gear. Now you put it into D. Does the music continues, or the system goes totally dead?

3.Does the camera work?

Anyway try resetting it to factory settings as it would be the only thing you could do at this moment.

• Thanks 1

If the system does not completely work and only works in reverse gear it could be because of an anti-theft system as well. In some audio systems, it gets completely locked up (if something has been done for the system to think it has been stolen...like work done by a maka baas) and only unlocks itself in reverse gear or when a surround camera system is activated (which happens as a matter of safety...even if the person is a thief you don't want the thief to kill himself or run-over someone around him/her)

3 minutes ago, Crosswind said:

A makabaas electrician has had a go at it. You will need to visit a good electrician and check the wiring.

yes this should be the best thing to do. In my Brother-in-law's GP1 couple of years back had a similar kind of problem. It was also a Pioneer. the Radio only worked in intervals. it works for some time and suddenly turns off the whole unit and automatically turns on again. when checked, it turned out that rats had chewed on the wiring of the unit and got it fixed before selling it. ?  

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, alpha17 said:

Please clarify.

1.Does the radio function properly when you just turn it on using the ACC (pressing the push start button once) without starting the car?

2.Say now you are playing a song or listening to radio somehow by keeping the car in the reverse gear. Now you put it into D. Does the music continues, or the system goes totally dead?

3.Does the camera work?

Anyway try resetting it to factory settings as it would be the only thing you could do at this moment.

19 hours ago, alpha17 said:

Please clarify.

3.Does the camera work?

1. Does the radio function properly when you just turn it on using the ACC (pressing the push start button once) without starting the car?

No, Stereo is turning on, But screen and controllers other than volume key buttons are not working.

2. Say now you are playing a song or listening to radio somehow by keeping the car in the reverse gear. Now you put it into D. Does the music continues, or the system goes totally dead?

Yes, Music continues, and only volume key buttons are working. Screen turns off and no other button is working.

3. Does the camera work?

Yes, Camera works, But not turning on automatically on reverse gear, I have to go to the audio system menu and select the reverse camera.

Sorry for not being specific in the question. Do you have any clue?

Edited by Yazi000

10 hours ago, Crosswind said:

A makabaas electrician has had a go at it. You will need to visit a good electrician and check the wiring.

I haven't done any repairs after I bought this car. (Other than services, regular DCT oil changes and 12V battery change) Car is with me for more than 6 months now.

10 hours ago, amsandun said:

yes this should be the best thing to do. In my Brother-in-law's GP1 couple of years back had a similar kind of problem. It was also a Pioneer. the Radio only worked in intervals. it works for some time and suddenly turns off the whole unit and automatically turns on again. when checked, it turned out that rats had chewed on the wiring of the unit and got it fixed before selling it. ?  

hmm, I will check. This worked well for sometime.

31 minutes ago, alpha17 said:

Okay. There is only one thing left to do as I mentioned before. You can factory reset the head unit by putting it into reverse gear. If that doesn’t fix it, take it to a car audio guy. Probably a 5 minutes job.

Thank you very much. I will check.

46 minutes ago, alpha17 said:

Resetting worked. Thank you very much. Seems like it has a problem with steering wheel controls. The setting is disabled. Anyway I will get it checked. Thanks again.