• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Recommendations for a vehicle for permit

Don85

Question

I'm currently a honda owner who receives hassle free service from Stafford Motors. I'm currently searching for a family vehicle which may carry 4 passengers. I'm concerned about comfort as well as 2nd hand value. Prefer an SUV over a car. Most importantly I'm a busy person & I don't have time to search for spares & service stations. Currently I'm mostly interested in the following vehicles.

1. Peugeot 3008

2.Peugeot 2008

3. Nissan Quashqui

4. Honda Civic

5. Toyota CHR

Can any expert please advise.

Thanks

Edited by Don85

5 hours ago, Don85 said:

I'm currently a honda owner who receives hassle free service from Stafford Motors. I'm currently searching for a family vehicle which may carry 4 passengers. I'm concerned about comfort as well as 2nd hand value. Prefer an SUV over a car. Most importantly I'm a busy person & I don't have time to search for spares & service stations. Currently I'm mostly interested in the following vehicles.

1. Peugeot 3008

2.Peugeot 2008

3. Nissan Quashqui

4. Honda Civic

5. Toyota CHR

Can any expert please advise.

Thanks

You missed Honda CRV (brand new from Stafford) none of the above meet your requirements mentioned

1. Peugeot 3008 - Doubtful 2nd value

2.Peugeot 2008 - Less room, 2nd value will be even worse than 3008

3. Nissan Quashqui - will get replaced soon with newer model, not enough around / not very spacious

4. Honda Civic - Good all rounder for little more you can get the CRV / not a SUV

5. Toyota CHR - Not spacious in the back / annoying  rear door handle and windows

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, kush said:

You missed Honda CRV (brand new from Stafford) none of the above meet your requirements mentioned

1. Peugeot 3008 - Doubtful 2nd value

2.Peugeot 2008 - Less room, 2nd value will be even worse than 3008

3. Nissan Quashqui - will get replaced soon with newer model, not enough around / not very spacious

4. Honda Civic - Good all rounder for little more you can get the CRV / not a SUV

5. Toyota CHR - Not spacious in the back / annoying  rear door handle and windows

Thank you for the reply. 

But I deliberately missed out Honda CRV because my father already own one. 

I'm looking for a vehicle for my personal use. Anyway thank you for your valuable opinion.

You could go with the Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross. Haven’t driven but been a passenger and it is much more energetic and comfier than the CRV. 2nd hand value would fall in to the same category with the CRV. But the interior build quality might not be as good as the CRV. Another fact is that I can’t stand the back end design of the Eclipse Cross.

Other option is the Vezel with 1.5 Turbo engine (same engine from the CRV). It was released a few months ago and I doubt whether anyone had imported it to SL yet. With that you’ll get better reliability than the Hybrid variant, plus better performance. But resale value is a bit harder to guess, since Vezels are loosing their value faster due to DCD replacements and even if this model has the cvt and non-hybrid power train, value would be likely to loose.

Or else get the ordinary SL guy’s choice. Allion or Premio.

• Like 1

Thank you for the opinion. Will consider Mitsubishi Eclipse cross on my list. Thanks again

Sent from my SM-A505F using AutoLanka.com mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Yes yes defineatly drive it and u missed the q2 not sure about that three pot 1000cc engine but if ur selling it in 5 years itll be fine and also not sure about the resell value.eclipse cross will have a good value

Sent from my SM-M205F using AutoLanka.com mobile app powered by Tapatalk

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Carnooby said:

Yes yes defineatly drive it and u missed the q2 not sure about that three pot 1000cc engine but if ur selling it in 5 years itll be fine and also not sure about the resell value.eclipse cross will have a good value

Sent from my SM-M205F using AutoLanka.com mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Yeah....You may not go wrong with EC. I have been using it for some time, but nothing to complain. 

Just a fun share below:

• Like 1

Yeah....You may not go wrong with EC. I have been using it for some time, but nothing to complain. 
Just a fun share below:

[/url]  

Thank you for the reply & exciting video.

But I've notice a problem in dealing with car companies in SL when contacting them for a test drive.

Once I discuss the features of the vehicle with the marketing officer of any company, they always say, Automatic emergency braking feature is not available even in the highest trim level. The reason they always give is that, the feature is not suitable for SL roads with high traffic jams which will increase the probability of an accident, so that company is not offering it.

I have few questions here.
1. The Honda I brought from grey market has this emergency braking & it has saved me from several accidents. According to my opinion, it is the complete opposite of what companies say.

2. We can turn off emergency braking if we want. So why the companies still not offering it even if customer is requesting it?

3. Accidents on the road due to emergency braking shouldn't be a problem to the companies as it won't affect their warranty. It should be a problem only for insurance companies & for the user. So why are the companies refuse to import vehicles with this important safety feature?

After spending millions on a vehicle, why aren't we offered the best technology available? Is it worth to go with companies paying extra just to get the warranty with less features or is it better to go with grey market, paying less & getting all the features that the brand offer?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Don85 said:

Thank you for the reply & exciting video.

But I've notice a problem in dealing with car companies in SL when contacting them for a test drive.

Once I discuss the features of the vehicle with the marketing officer of any company, they always say, Automatic emergency braking feature is not available even in the highest trim level. The reason they always give is that, the feature is not suitable for SL roads with high traffic jams which will increase the probability of an accident, so that company is not offering it.

I have few questions here.
1. The Honda I brought from grey market has this emergency braking & it has saved me from several accidents. According to my opinion, it is the complete opposite of what companies say.

2. We can turn off emergency braking if we want. So why the companies still not offering it even if customer is requesting it?

3. Accidents on the road due to emergency braking shouldn't be a problem to the companies as it won't affect their warranty. It should be a problem only for insurance companies & for the user. So why are the companies refuse to import vehicles with this important safety feature?

After spending millions on a vehicle, why aren't we offered the best technology available? Is it worth to go with companies paying extra just to get the warranty with less features or is it better to go with grey market, paying less & getting all the features that the brand offer?

You have a good point here. Probably, companies need to cut down the base value of vehicles by limiting safety options. Further, partly I do agree with the notion that this auto-breaking system is not suitable for our country, especially the pedestrian collision avoidance system. I narrowly missed few rear-collections due to morans who walk on the road  and tailgating. I always, switch off the system when driving except on the highway. These systems are fine-tuned for the other part of the world having a proper road network and well-disciplined drivers and pedestrians. 

Though we can switch off these systems, always reactivated with next start :) 

I imported mine personally due to long waiting time at the Agent. However, best to import via the Agent since the warranty they provide. We never know complicated electronics in today's vehicles would fail......  

Edited by vitz
  • Like 1

For the millionth+1-th time...only HYBRID variants of the Vezel (Fit/Grace) came with the DCD...thus ONLY the Hybrids would have the DCD issues ! Gasoline variants of the Vezel (fit/grace) all came with a CVT. Thus...Gasoline variants have no issue with DCDs !!! Because they have CVTs....so yeah...stop spreading the rumor...

As for the last questions the OP asked...

Before I go on...lets be honest..the Sri Lankan car market and general automotive culture is very backward. Sri Lankans prefer old school technology from the 80s and the 90s where the machinery will keep running forever and ever with just the handy se of a hammer and some spanners...we think a car being like a steel box that does not bend or yield in away during an impact is better and safer for the occupants than a car that completely loses its body panels (because of crumple zones and energy absorption) is weak and worthless. We as an automotive society will buy any POS if its cheap...our idea of refined and and technologically superior translates to paying ridiculous amounts of money for shiny body bits, gold badges and lights on side mirrors and foot holes and kmpl meters.

Now...

The agent in correct in his facts but not justifiable in their decision but also they are.

Yes..the auto braking feature is  a pain in the ass when it comes to driving in crawling..sudden accelerating...coming to a crawl..bumper to bumper style driving like in SL cities. The system goes bonkers. Even in Japan on heavy traffic days it is a complete pain in the ass.

Yes it can be turned off. Part of the agents'and manufacturers' justification for not offering the system in developing regions such as SL is why pay extra and have a system that is going to be turned off 90% of the time  because the system cannot be calibrated properly for local conditions. 

You need to understand..you pay a lot of money when buying the car...not to the agent or the manufacturer. You pay approximately 100-150%++ of your purchase price to our government.  So your 10mil LKR Brand new Corolla is in reality only 2.5mil - 3mil for the manufacturer/agent....and most manufacturers these days do pack a lot of technology the manufacture/agent can service for the region. In Japan..a few years ago the price difference between a car with Auto braking and without it was about 120,000yen on average (i.e. about 200K LKR). So if you bring down a car with auto braking you are looking at a total price increase of nearly 400-500K...local automobile buyers being who they are (see my Before I go on section) and the economy of the country...this is a lot of money they are not willing to spend.  Yes...you do get Premios and Prius'and Vitz's with this..but that is mainly because they have no other option as all JDM cars are supposed to have these technologies as standard within the next year or so...(and yes..there is a slight price increment in Japan for the base prices....but it is now a smaller amount rather than the previous average).

Manufacturers and Agents DO care a lot about accidents that happen to their cars ! Especially those that can be caused because of the technologies they put in their cars. In almost all parts of the world..the manufacturer can get sued and be held criminally liable if this keeps happening. Again, in SL we are still stuck in the 1970s and 1980s that we do not care about it. So yes...manufacturers are very very concerned about officially offering technologies in different regions. So if a technology cannot be tuned/configured/calibrated to adjust to local conditions...it will not be there. Yes...manufacturers do not care about Premios and Allions and stuff in SL..because they were meant for the Japanese market...so if the car is brought to a market like SL and the tech causes accidents..they are not liable as they never intended to sell the tech in SL.

Finally..there is a matter of serviceability....if a technology cannot be properly maintained and serviced by the manufacturers'' local agent, the agent/manufacturer will not introduce the technology until the know-how and other necessary resources are available to do so. This requires investment by the manufacturer/franchise owner(i.e. agent). The bottom line is making investments on a technology that cannot be 100% used in local conditions sort of get a low priority. Even if they do train and equip themselves in the interest of the grey market they do charge the owners dearly for it and considering Sri Lankan car owners most will not pay for it..instead they will find a ay to disable it and keep using it (we live in a country where people remove diffs and prop-shafts of AWD vehicles and cover up engine check lights with black insulation tape)

• Like 4

Thank you vitz & iRage for the opinions.

But I wonder whether I'm the only person who has never turned off emergency braking [emoji1]

I never turned it off, because it never bothered me & saved me from several accidents which may have damaged my vehicle very badly if emergency braking didn't come into action.

When driving in the traffic, I feel like I'm inside the action movie of "fast and furious" due to the behaviour of tuk tuks & motor bikes. The only way they don't travel is above our heads. I won't be surprised if I heard that they have invented a modification which mimics a flying gear [emoji23].

I have encountered many occasions where I had no clue from where they were coming & only thing I noticed is that my vehicle suddenly braked. Then only I see the culprit who caused the braking. Hadn't the emergency braking was there, surely all those incidents would have been hit & runs.

On the other hand, due to the SL post accident culture, it is better to get knocked from behind, than we have a front collision with a vehicle or a pedestrian cow, because we will have to get admitted to hospital first, no matter how wrong the other person is.

So I always prefer to have this system on & seriously think that my vehicle should have it.

I'm about to clear my Corolla sport with "Toyota Safety Sense 2.0" plus additional gizmos for parking support.

Hope this will not be a pain in the A**e for the fairer one. 

Actually had no choice in the matter as most of the decent JDM now comes with these standard.

What the agents bring down is crap that are designed to South Asian markets with only air bags and ABS

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Don85 said:

But I wonder whether I'm the only person who has never turned off emergency braking

You're not alone. 

On 7/5/2019 at 4:07 PM, Don85 said:

4. Honda Civic

You've mentioned something about a permit? The permit exempts 3.6 M and the tax for the Civic will be 2 M so that's  a waste of permit right? 

BTW how about something like a Q3?

• Like 1

I'm about to clear my Corolla sport with "Toyota Safety Sense 2.0" plus additional gizmos for parking support.
Hope this will not be a pain in the A**e for the fairer one. 
Actually had no choice in the matter as most of the decent JDM now comes with these standard.
What the agents bring down is crap that are designed to South Asian markets with only air bags and ABS
Agreed. [emoji106]

On 7/8/2019 at 2:02 PM, kush said:

Yes....most of these things are a legal requirement now (various auto-braking systems and acceleration prevention systems, lane control mechanisms, etc....the legal requirement is there because of Japan's aging population. There is a huge spike in accidents where old people accidentally pressed on the wrong pedal and could not control the accelerator and brake pedals and did not have the physical flexibility and peripheral vision to steer and maneuver the vehicle accordingly...

9 minutes ago, Don85 said:

Any opinion on including Mazda 6 or Mazda CX30 on my list?

Both nice cars....haven't driven a CX-30 yet....but the 6 is pretty nice and the build feel of the CX-30 is no different. Not sure how the driving dynamics would be like of the CX-30 with the wider and longer body, but the CX-3 was actually pretty nippy....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Don85 said:

Any opinion on including Mazda 6 or Mazda CX30 on my list?

Even the smaller engine would be 2.0 L which will be taxed Rs. 12.7 Mn, plus a luxury tax at registration. You end up paying over Rs. 10 Mn on taxes alone and the vehicle cost will be over Rs. 15 Mn. There are better options for the permit at that price point.

• Like 1

Even the smaller engine would be 2.0 L which will be taxed Rs. 12.7 Mn, plus a luxury tax at registration. You end up paying over Rs. 10 Mn on taxes alone and the vehicle cost will be over Rs. 15 Mn. There are better options for the permit at that price point.

Thank you. It's incredible how the tax system on vehicles, works just like our parliament. [emoji23]

• Haha 1

Today I received a call from Micro cars marketing agent & offered me a MG ZS fully loaded model for 3 M.

According to him, it has 5 star safety rating and also features like sunroof & cruise control.

Non permit price is 5.5M & they are offering 5yr or 100,000km warranty along with 2yr or 60,000 km free service including spares & labor.

What do you think about this offer? Is MG ZS is a reliable vehicle to use?. Any known issues in the vehicle & MG brand? Any idea about after sales from Micro cars?

24 minutes ago, Don85 said:

Today I received a call from Micro cars marketing agent & offered me a MG ZS fully loaded model for 3 M.

According to him, it has 5 star safety rating and also features like sunroof & cruise control.

Non permit price is 5.5M & they are offering 5yr or 100,000km warranty along with 2yr or 60,000 km free service including spares & labor.

What do you think about this offer? Is MG ZS is a reliable vehicle to use?. Any known issues in the vehicle & MG brand? Any idea about after sales from Micro cars?

I would suggest you not decide what to buy based on options such as Sunroof and cruise control. My vehicle has both these options (I had to go with them because they anyway came with the trim I selected), and I rarely ever use them. You will likely open the sunroof maybe once or twice just to see what it does, and then never use it ever. Cruise control may be useful on the highway but even adaptive cruise is not that practical in SL slow moving, dumbass driven traffic.  So these options at least for me are good only for the looks , and not practical in Sri lanka. You're better off spending this money on core vehicle features that will actually matter.

As for MG, I personally didn't like the interior. It felt a bit cheap and 'mass market oriented' if you know what I mean. But this is a personal opinion that is subjective. Cannot comment on the durability or maintainability of the vehicle since I haven't used one.

I have not heard a lot of good about Micro after sales service. In fact, almost every experienceI heard from my friends who had Panda, Kyron and Geely MX cars has been negative. Lack of parts, long time to import parts, long time to get repairs done, etc. So do some more research if you are locking in on MG.

• Like 1

I would suggest you not decide what to buy based on options such as Sunroof and cruise control. My vehicle has both these options (I had to go with them because they anyway came with the trim I selected), and I rarely ever use them. You will likely open the sunroof maybe once or twice just to see what it does, and then never use it ever. Cruise control may be useful on the highway but even adaptive cruise is not that practical in SL slow moving, dumbass driven traffic.  So these options at least for me are good only for the looks , and not practical in Sri lanka. You're better off spending this money on core vehicle features that will actually matter.
As for MG, I personally didn't like the interior. It felt a bit cheap and 'mass market oriented' if you know what I mean. But this is a personal opinion that is subjective. Cannot comment on the durability or maintainability of the vehicle since I haven't used one.
I have not heard a lot of good about Micro after sales service. In fact, almost every experienceI heard from my friends who had Panda, Kyron and Geely MX cars has been negative. Lack of parts, long time to import parts, long time to get repairs done, etc. So do some more research if you are locking in on MG.

Thank you for the advice