• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

which battery i should use

manju3d

Question

8 hours ago, alpha17 said:

I recommend Amaron batteries. Panasonic is also good.

Stay away from Amaron. 

My car needs DIN 55 type low profile battery. Only Amaron batteries fit in my car, so I am totally stuck with them. Here's  what happened.

I did my first battery replacement in 2013. One cell of that battery died in 2015.

I did my second battery replacement in 2015. That battery exploded in 3 months. Yes it exploded.

This time I got a warranty replacement. That one also died.

The next one died in 2018. 

Now I'm on my fifth battery. Just waiting for its funeral.

Yes, all of them are Amaron.

I got my car's electrics checked by the agent because batteries keep dying. The agent confirmed that it's all fine. Then I raised this with the battery shop and they agree to fully refund me if I can get any other battery to fit in to the car. The only other option I have is to remove the battery enclosure and fit any battery, but I'm not willing to do that. So, I decided to live with Amaron.

And their whole 5-year warranty story is a farce. Warranty is only 2 years. Thereafter you get a discount if you buy a replacement even if your battery died prematurely.

On the other hand, I always used Exide with my other cars in the past. I had a dead battery just once and got a replacement. Their batmobile service is the icing on the cake.

• Like 1

Among the other batteries I have used Global(Korea) and Panasonic (Thailand) are really good. Recently I got Yuasa (Japan) since the particular size I was looking not available in those brands. Little bit pricey though.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2019 at 12:35 PM, manju3d said:

Hi guys ,

i have Honda GP 5 .. i have to put replace the car battery not High bride battery.. Pls tell me which is the best product i have to buy and where to buy??

Thanks

Since it has idle stop function, you can use LUCAS battery as well. One of my friend replaced his grace with the same and costed him around 11-12k

Edited by PerfMad

AFAIK the GP5 does not need any special type of 12v battery since the high-voltage hybrid battery will constantly keep the 12v battery charged simulating the what an alternator would do on a regular vehicle when the vehicle is in Power On mode even if the engine stops (GP5 does not have a belt driven alternator). I replaced the original 12v battery on my GP5 about 2 years ago with a Lu**s and didn't have any issues until I sold it a month back.

However, my new vehicle  is a regular gasoline with Engine Auto Stop/Start, and the battery that came with it is an Italian made E**de specifically designed for this feature as labeled on the battery. A little bit of Googling says regular 12v batteries are not suitable for non-hybrid cars with Eng Auto Stop feature because of the increased engine start cycles and the battery will fail in a matter of months. The recommendation is to use AGM (Absorbent Glass Mat) or EFB  (Enhanced Flooded Battery) type batteries for these vehicles, however, I have yet to see any of the local agents bringing these types of batteries. If anyone here is aware of importers of these batteries, pls do enlighten us!

Edited by leyland
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, leyland said:

AFAIK the GP5 does not need any special type of 12v battery since the high-voltage hybrid battery will constantly keep the 12v battery charged simulating the what an alternator would do on a regular vehicle when the vehicle is in Power On mode even if the engine stops (GP5 does not have a belt driven alternator). I replaced the original 12v battery on my GP5 about 2 years ago with a Lu**s and didn't have any issues until I sold it a month back.

However, my new vehicle  is a regular gasoline with Engine Auto Stop/Start, and the battery that came with it is an Italian made E**de specifically designed for this feature as labeled on the battery. A little bit of Googling says regular 12v batteries are not suitable for non-hybrid cars with Eng Auto Stop feature because of the increased engine start cycles and the battery will fail in a matter of months. The recommendation is to use AGM (Absorbent Glass Mat) or EFB  (Enhanced Flooded Battery) type batteries for these vehicles, however, I have yet to see any of the local agents bringing these types of batteries. If anyone here is aware of importers of these batteries, pls do enlighten us!

I think Exide dealer has it but its not cheap.. the cheapest we found was the LUCAS battery (which supports idle/stop function) costed around 12k

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Crosswind said:

Stay away from Amaron. 

My car needs DIN 55 type low profile battery. Only Amaron batteries fit in my car, so I am totally stuck with them. Here's  what happened.

I did my first battery replacement in 2013. One cell of that battery died in 2015.

I did my second battery replacement in 2015. That battery exploded in 3 months. Yes it exploded.

I got my car's electrics checked by the agent because batteries keep dying. The agent confirmed that it's all fine. Then I raised this with the battery shop and they agree to fully refund me if I can get any other battery to fit in to the car. The only other option I have is to remove the battery enclosure and fit any battery, but I'm not willing to do that. So, I decided to live with Amaron.

And their whole 5-year warranty story is a farce. Warranty is only 2 years. Thereafter you get a discount if you buy a replacement even if your battery died prematurely.

On the other hand, I always used Exide with my other cars in the past. I had a dead battery just once and got a replacement. Their batmobile service is the icing on the cake.

wow that must be a headache! had the Amaron DIN55 on the previous Peugeot for 3+ years when selling. No issues though. 

21 hours ago, Crosswind said:

Stay away from Amaron. 

Just two questions.

1.What is the charging voltage when measured at 2000 RPM with all electrical loads switched on and off?

2. Do you use the vehicles mostly (say 90% of the time) during daytime an on long runs ( say 50km)?

For the batteries to fail in the manner described there must be some contribution from your charging system.

On 7/8/2019 at 9:22 AM, wolseley said:

Among the other batteries I have used Global(Korea) and Panasonic (Thailand) are really good. Recently I got Yuasa (Japan) since the particular size I was looking not available in those brands. Little bit pricey though.

where i can buy global and other product

thanks

On 7/8/2019 at 8:49 AM, Crosswind said:

Stay away from Amaron. 

So gents, my OEM factory fitted Hitachi battery seems to be on its last legs... cold starts are slightly hesitant, not as crisp as I'm used to; the fuel level gauge takes a few seconds to read the level; the voltage drops below 9 when cranking.

No problemmo. I'll just buy a new one before OEM one totally craps out so I have a replacement, right?

Having read this thread beforehand imagine my horror when I see that the battery code says its a "55D23L" in other words, 55Din Low profile.

Holy car gods, I'm gonna get stuck with Amaron! 

Made a visit to the battery shop and it is confirmed, my battery tray doesn't support the Exide 65Ah battery which is 10inch long. The only one that fits is the Amaron 55D23L 60Ah battery  (OEM one was 60Ah too). Exide one costs 15500/=  , Amaron one costs 17500/=. They would buy back my exhausted battery for 1500/=.

Is there anything I could do besides buying the Amaron one? On the plus side, their Amaron 55D23L battery stock is only a month old, made in 2019/06. Exide one doesn't have a manufactured date. Warranty for the Amaron battery is 24 months + 12 months added warranty which I suspect the discount period @Crosswind mentioned. Exide one has a warranty of 18 months.

@K.o.N.o.S @Davy @trinity

Edited by Hyaenidae

@Hyaenidae That's a bummer. In my lancer I have YUASA battery. I am not in a position to confirm the exact model as I am pretty far away from the car at the moment. But should be the same model ( 55D23L ). To my knowledge Douglas & sons Ltd is the agent for YUASA batteries in Sri lanka.

http://www.yuasa-kw.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=140

Edited by K.o.N.o.S

Is Amaron that bad ? I have had an Amaron on the Trueno for like ever (4 years and counting) and no issues so far. In fact when I first bought one in 2014 the car had an indentifiable drain....the electricians did all sort of things which eventually spoilt two brand new batteries (died off at least) and each time the shop replaced them both. First time they did not ask any questions, second time they asked to see the car and checked the alternator and then replaced it...

14 hours ago, Hyaenidae said:

So gents, my OEM factory fitted Hitachi battery seems to be on its last legs... cold starts are slightly hesitant, not as crisp as I'm used to; the fuel level gauge takes a few seconds to read the level; the voltage drops below 9 when cranking.

No problemmo. I'll just buy a new one before OEM one totally craps out so I have a replacement, right?

Having read this thread beforehand imagine my horror when I see that the battery code says its a "55D23L" in other words, 55Din Low profile.

Made a visit to the battery shop and it is confirmed, my battery tray doesn't support the Exide 65Ah battery which is 10inch long. The only one that fits is the Amaron 55D23L 60Ah battery  (OEM one was 60Ah too). Exide one costs 15500/=  , Amaron one costs 17500/=. They would buy back my exhausted battery for 1500/=.

Is there anything I could do besides buying the Amaron one? On the plus side, their Amaron 55D23L battery stock is only a month old, made in 2019/06. Exide one doesn't have a manufactured date. Warranty for the Amaron battery is 24 months + 12 months added warranty which I suspect the discount period @Crosswind mentioned. Exide one has a warranty of 18 months.

Global is the only other product of this size available in SL. But that is also a half-centimetre taller than the amaron one. If Global doesn't fit then you are pretty much stuck with Amaron.

Note that this is my personal experience. I may be jinxing batteries or like @Rumesh88 mentioned, something may be wrong with the charging system (although that may not explain why one battery exploded). I am yet to do the tests that @Rumesh88 noted above.

14 hours ago, Hyaenidae said:

The letter "L" refers to the side of the negative terminal of the battery when viewed from the front. Your negative terminal is on the left. There's a 55D23R which is the same battery but terminals switched. 

The CS also comes with the same battery and I was able to find batteries without any issue. The Panasonic battery that was on the car when I got it was made in Japan and it lasted a long time. When it was time for me to change it, I didn't have trouble finding replacement batteries. I think I went with GLOBAL or GS or something. 

My father's Demio has an Amaron on it at the moment and I don't think he has had any issues for the past couple of years. 

10 hours ago, K.o.N.o.S said:

@Hyaenidae That's a bummer.

3 hours ago, iRage said:

Is Amaron that bad ?

1 hour ago, Crosswind said:

Global is the only other product of this size available in SL.

41 minutes ago, Davy said:

The letter "L" refers to the side of the negative terminal of the battery when viewed from the front.

Thanks for the responses, everyone.

@K.o.N.o.S @Crosswind Couldn't find a battery shop which carries Yuasa or Global... Only choices  I have are Exide, Amaron, and Lucas.

Battery shop guys swear left and right that Amaron battery returns are practically zero and they've never had complaints of battery explosion, which is my biggest worry.

The  Exide 65Ah battery could be fitted by removing the battery tray (suggested by the battery shop) which I don't think is a good idea. The purpose of the tray I think is to prevent possible fluid spills reaching the metal parts of the engine bay, the battery could be fitted with the battery holder without the tray in place. Not going to do it anyway.

I can feel the starter motor straining to start the engine so I'm going to replace the battery today evening before it takes the starter motor with it. Finally decided to take a chance and go for the Amaron 55D23L.

Here's hoping the Amaron battery won't bathe my engine bay with sulfuric acid. I'll seriously consider castrating the owner of the battery shop if that happens.

So guys my car didn't wanna start today morning. Battery charge indicator was showing "WHITE" jump started it and went to a battery shop. After checking voltage with and without AC and they said charging system is fine, its just the battery is weak and told 45amp battery (exide) will cost around 12k (with 2 year warranty) .

I went to another shop and got my battery checked and they claimed battery is fine, its just the charging system is not giving maximum output when AC is turned on (currently its giving ~13V which should be around ~14 right??)

Can someone please suggest a proper battery shop to get this checked (to get a third opinion) before replacing my battery blindly.

P.S. This battery was bought on 2016 December

47 minutes ago, kush said:

Considering the age it most probably the battery. No harm in getting the system checked.

If your current battery is Excide yu should be able to call their mobile service free.

but if the charging system is working correctly regardless of the battery status should it show 14v when charging under load ?

On 7/23/2019 at 6:33 PM, Hyaenidae said:

@Hyaenidae I assume you have already changed the battery.Was it amaron? My one also seems to be going out. Hesitant cold start, headlights are dimmer than usual.etc. So in need of replacement.