• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Service Interval 5000 miles or kms?

amsandun

I know this maybe one of the most famous questions in vehicle maintenance. I am coming close to 2nd scheduled maintenance of my Vitz and since I don't have user/service manuals, I just did a search and found official Toyota guides for 2016 Yaris (mine is 2016 Vitz). In the Maintenance Information Section I found the following text.

Miles or Months ?

Toyota recommends obtaining scheduled maintenance for your vehicle every 5,000 miles or six months, whichever comes first.

I guess this is valid for most of the Toyota Vehicles. Though we are used to service at every 5000kms, is it ok to run until 5000 miles (around 8000km) with recommended Oil etc. ? does the whole point of servicing at 5000km related to our climate and road conditions?

PS: I really don't mind servicing at 5000 intervals (already did one ?). Just asking out of curiosity.

Depends on the conditions the vehicle is used in. In Sri Lanka most agents recommend a 5000km or 6 months interval which is fair enough given the traffic, dust, hot and humid conditions. If you do a lot of long outstation runs you may be able to stretch that a bit. In Europe, it is common to have service intervals in excess of 10000 miles. However the traffic and environmental conditions there are totally different and even after 10000 miles the air filter for example looks brand-new accumulating less dust than running 5000km in Sri Lanka.

6 months / 5000 km for mineral/ semi-synthetic

12 months/ 10000km for fully synthetic oil is mostly recommended by manufactures

Car needs to be serviced at least once a year irrespective how low the mileage is