• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Need an expert opinion on vehicles between 4.5 - 5.5 Mn

BimA

Question

Hi All,

I am a new member and if this topic is discussed else where in the forum please be kind enough to merge.

I need expert opinions to make a correct choice for my vehicle.

My Budget :- Between 4.5 - 5.5 Mn Rupees.

Interested in Cars and SUV's.

Specific Considerations: 

1. Should have an avg fuel consumption in CMB and outside the city . ( 12-14 Kmpl on avg) 
                                 2. Should have a good re-sales market with depreciated value. ( Value depreciation is fine but should be able to attract buyers without much harassment )
                                 3. Good Driving Experience and Safety.

I prefer Brand New vehicles or Used ones with mileage around 30K -50K ( which means it will be 2015 or higher)

Can you please suggest some good timely opinions for above requirements? 

Thanks In Advance. :) 

12 answers to this question

If you're ok with Hybrids:

Well maintained low mileage Honda Fit/Grace Toyota Axio. (Also recommend the non hybrid 2013 Axio for around 4.3 Million but will have a bit of mileage)  For your budget the Vezels will have comparatively higher mileage. Would recomend to keep aside some cash for any DCT gremlins in case you go for a Fit/Grace/Vezel

If you try hard you might be able to get a slightly used 2017 Civic for below 5.5 with low mileage. (SE grade : SR if your lucky) Will fulfill your requirement #3 hands down. 

If smaller hatches are ok the Baleno from agents looks an attractive option. 

I personally wouldn't waste. 4.5 M budget on a Vitz.

• Like 1

Vitz 2019 safety edition 3 (whatever that means). That's the closest one you can get that fuel economy apart from keis and hybrids. Lacks good driving experience but ticks all other stuff mentioned by you. Swift hybrid is also within reach I guess. Sedans are possible but hard to get a 2015 one and probably  have higher mileage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, matroska said:

If you're ok with Hybrids:

Well maintained low mileage Honda Fit/Grace Toyota Axio. (Also recommend the non hybrid 2013 Axio for around 4.3 Million but will have a bit of mileage)  For your budget the Vezels will have comparatively higher mileage. Would recomend to keep aside some cash for any DCT gremlins in case you go for a Fit/Grace/Vezel

If you try hard you might be able to get a slightly used 2017 Civic for below 5.5 with low mileage. (SE grade : SR if your lucky) Will fulfill your requirement #3 hands down. 

If smaller hatches are ok the Baleno from agents looks an attractive option. 

I personally wouldn't waste. 4.5 M budget on a Vitz.

I was also tried to get my hands on 2017 Civic SE Package. I could top up a bit and go for that as well. 

1) One thing that had me second guessing for going for a civic is maintenance. I live in Matara area. Most of the people in forums say its better to maintain the civic with S**ford which is in CMB. ( If car breaks down in Matara It will be difficult to bring it to CMB )

2) I had been told by some civic users that they get constant unwanted alarms and had to spend some unwanted time for sensor issues.  I believe targeted market for civic is UK and it might have some sensor complications when using in SL with a  totally different climate.

I was reading some forums here in auto lanka related to civic and most of the users are fine with the model and its performance despite low ground clearance and rear side design. 

Any idea for above two points which made me bit reluctant to go for a civic ?

4 hours ago, hrm said:

Vitz 2019 safety edition 3 (whatever that means). That's the closest one you can get that fuel economy apart from keis and hybrids. Lacks good driving experience but ticks all other stuff mentioned by you. Swift hybrid is also within reach I guess. Sedans are possible but hard to get a 2015 one and probably  have higher mileage.

It first came as Safety Edition,,,then Safety Edition II and Safety Edition III....pretty much with each iteration they added more and more safety features to the grade.

The Vitz will be a boring car to drive (in stock form) but will fulfill your other criteria. If you want to make it a bit more engaging...upgrade the suspension and the wheels and there will be a huge difference in the handling. Power wise..well you will be stuck with the 1L dead horse which..well you really can't do much with. The issue in buying a Vitz is there are a lot of junk units for sale out there...

Someone mentioned a Baleno...well...not the most refined of them out there....somewhat decently equipped but not really nice. Only advantage is you get it brand new straight from the agents so you can somewhat trust the authenticity of the vehicle and have the manufacturer's warranty. The Vitz...well they are imported by third party car salesmen and 95% of them are the slimiest and most crooked humans in SL...so you ahve no idea what kind of junk you are getting (even the 1 mileage ones..you cannot trust). The only way you could trust a Vitz is if you directly purchase it at an auction through a trusted agent.

If you are okay with a hatch....do you know how much Kias, Hyundais and Perdoduas go for ?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BimA said:

1) One thing that had me second guessing for going for a civic is maintenance. I live in Matara area. Most of the people in forums say its better to maintain the civic with S**ford which is in CMB. ( If car breaks down in Matara It will be difficult to bring it to CMB )

2) I had been told by some civic users that they get constant unwanted alarms and had to spend some unwanted time for sensor issues.  I believe targeted market for civic is UK and it might have some sensor complications when using in SL with a  totally different climate.

1) Yeah you do make a bit of sense - but then again there are probably many People in Matara who use the same - breakdown is a bit rare for a new car ... I mean unless something really wrong happens chances of a 2 year old car breaking down is minimal. Maintaining at St#### to me is always sensible but there are folk who take them to different places and are happy with them. I suggest you join the FB group for the specific model and inquire a bit about servicing in the south. 

2) Well yeah ..sort of  not a huge issue though just minor annoyances:

* Most Famous - Alarm goes off when there are flies inside the car : happened to almost everyone 

* Proximity sensor goes off even when there are no obstacles nearby when there is heavy rain. 

* Auto Rain sensing wipers (not available on SE) sometimes overreacts wipes like crazy when there is just a drizzle - quite random happens once in a while. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vag2 said:

Talking about Vitz, there is a price difference of of 3.6M to 4.4M between the model years 2016-2019. Is it worth it?

Check the safety features....quite a few of the safety features that were not available or were optional in 2015/2016 were made standard features over the last year or so. An 800,000LKR price difference at the showroom translates to about 250,000 yen FOB price difference between a 2016 Vitz and a 2019 Vitz....considering that the importer would keep a markup and the price difference for a car being 3 years newer with possibly more standard safety features the 800,000LKR difference is understandable. Whether than price difference is justifiable for you when considering everything is only answerable by you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

the main differences should be for 2016 "safety"(key start, no multifunction steering wheel) and  2019 "safety"(push start, multifunction steering, LED lights ). In the end, the buyer should decide if they are necessary options.

Edited by ajm
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, ajm said:

the main differences should be for 2016 "safety"(key start, no multifunction steering wheel) and  2019 "safety"(push start, multifunction steering, LED lights ). In the end, the buyer should decide if they are necessary options.

well not really..those are the cosmetic features....also by the time 2019 comes along the vehicles should have had the 3rd version of the safety package but also other active and passive safety features would have been standard as opposed to optional back in 2016. For example by February 2019 (or was it 2018) all passenger cars in Japan needed to have TRC as standard...not an option. Also I believe its 2020, all cars in Japan need to have active braking systems...etc...

But in SL people do not care about safety because..well we have the dehi gediya on a string to keep us safe :) <not to make fun of peoples' beliefs; just that is it funny how people expect the gods to do everything for them when the gods have given them the intellectual ability to take care of them selves and be independant>

Edited by iRage

17 hours ago, matroska said:

2) Well yeah ..sort of  not a huge issue though just minor annoyances:

* Most Famous - Alarm goes off when there are flies inside the car : happened to almost everyone 

* Proximity sensor goes off even when there are no obstacles nearby when there is heavy rain. 

* Auto Rain sensing wipers (not available on SE) sometimes overreacts wipes like crazy when there is just a drizzle - quite random happens once in a while. 

Thanks for the detailed update on sensor issues and It looks quite random but non-frequent which is good. 

I just saw some BMW X1's (2011) on Ik***n around 80K mileage for sale. I would like to know your opinion on that as well.