• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

What do you think?? Buying a unregistered Honda Fit shuttle GP7 2018 or KDH 201 2018

Amila1979

I' ve decided to buy a unregistered vehicle  for an upgrade. I have 2 selections 1. Honda fit shuttle GP7 and the 2. KDH 201.  Still i cant decide which one i have to buy. Im not so caring  about the  Price tag of the vehicle. But my main concern is how much will it depreciate in value over 10 years in SL market???? 

I really appreciate  ur  valuable advice  over this matter. 

Thank you both, last few months, i was searching in many websites which is seling vehicle and found that reselling price of hybrid was dramaticaly decreased  after few years of use. Hence  i was worried about buying a hybrid than conventional  vehicle. If the reselling value reducese mor than 10 laks in 6/7 years of time that would be great loss. If the reselling value reduced  around 5laks, it would  be ok with me. 

Actualy i try to find to find devaluation chart of hybrid vehicles in SL to solve this matter. But as u know sri lankans didnt have such things. In that case it is really difficult  to calculate how much i will lose during 6/7/10 years of time. 

Thanks again. 

If anybody can tell the approximate  eeselling value of honda fit GP7 after 6/7 years that would be highly appreciated.  

Good day all

Hybrids are an intermediate technology  to bridge a gap and achieve good fuel consumption. They are costly and

complicated to build, provide poor profit margins to car manufacturers and depreciate fast when ageing( battery issues). On the other hand their existence is being challenged by two factors.

1. Advances  and cost improvement of  new technologies like pure battery electric or fuel cell, which are less complicated than hybrid

2. improvements of existing petrol and diesel, synthetic fuels, bio fuels with combustion engines, which can achieve similar mileage(almost) as hybrids made 5 years ago, also with less fuss and long term problems

one reason diesels are unattractive in developed countries is the governments continuing to impose driving bans on vehicles that have higher Nox emissions, and for high-performance petrol engines the bans on higher CO2 emissions is a problem when buying. But I dont see any possibility of such bans in SL in the near future.

therefore if you care about resale value AT ALL,  go for the KDH diesel.

• Thanks 1

If you are planning on keeping the vehicle for 10 years...then a Hybrid vehicle is actually going to require a lot of attention to the batteries and other Hybrid system components. Also, as some have expressed Hybrid technology is somewhat transient and there are a few other alternatives already coming up...so in 10 years the current Hybrid technology will be somewhat outdated which might effect its desirability (not that it will be completely out...just that there will be other technologies that are less of a hassle and better performing).

Now on the other hand your HiAce will also have this issue. However, I believe conventional fossil fuel based vehicles will be slightly more desirable than the Hybrids because although the technology is old its maintainability and serviceability would be a bit more simpler.

At the end of the day what will the market be in 10 years time is only speculative. During that 10 years the Hiace will be much more easy to sell off than the Hybrid Fit...mainly because of the reputation and the cult following the vehicle seems to have in SL. 

However...can I ask why you are looking at two vehicles that are so drastically different ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Irage and Quite, you guys were quite correct , i thoght of it like an invesment. May be i will not kept it for 10 years. Sole purpose is to see how the market value drops  with the time period.

I didnt Owned  a hybrid earlier,  so i was bit fascinated  about it and i was bit more familiar  with KDH concept bcos of my friends.  Thats the reason i choose these 2. 

Thank you both

Have a great evening

1 hour ago, Quiet said:

two vehicles selected indicate investment purpose rather than the utility. in current context buying a vehicle as an investment is not advisable, even KDH

This is the only sensible reply I saw in this thread.

• Thanks 1

On 6/30/2019 at 4:29 PM, Amila1979 said:

how much will it depreciate in value over 10 years in SL market???? 

10 years is a long long time. Thinking that far ahead when buying a vehicle doesn't make sense. Lot's of variables could change.  And the 'Toyota nam market' ideology has been changing over the years. I know this by experience I sold a Honda Fit hybrid within hours of advertising last year when Two people I know struggled for weeks to sell....surprise surprise an Allion and an Axio. So really don't base your car buying decision on Resale value. Think of what you requirement is.  If  an investment that is likely to pay dividends in 10 years is what you're after Don't buy a vehicle Buy a plot of land those things hardly depreciate. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, matroska said:

10 years is a long long time. Thinking that far ahead when buying a vehicle doesn't make sense. Lot's of variables could change.  And the 'Toyota nam market' ideology has been changing over the years. I know this by experience I sold a Honda Fit hybrid within hours of advertising last year when Two people I know struggled for weeks to sell....surprise surprise an Allion and an Axio. So really don't base your car buying decision on Resale value. Think of what you requirement is.  If  an investment that is likely to pay dividends in 10 years is what you're after Don't buy a vehicle Buy a plot of land those things hardly depreciate. 

Most of the cars does not sell cause sellers are asking for ridicules prices. If you do a proper market research and price it correct any thing will sell. 

• Thanks 1

If you really want to make an investment, better to deposit them in a bank or buy a land.

I mean, those are two entirely different vehicles and each one of them would give you different outputs. Owning a KDH would have the resale value, practicality and go anywhere advantage. But the Shuttle would be much of a sportier and comfortable drive at the expense of resale value and expensive running costs. A car would carry a bit of more prestige than a Van here in SL. Anyway whether you go for a van or a car deep down inside it’s just A to B transportation so, it’s your choice.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, alpha17 said:

A car would carry a bit of more prestige than a Van here in SL. Anyway whether you go for a van or a car deep down inside it’s just A to B transportation so, it’s your choice.

a little OT but if my memory serves me right when I was a kid (this is back in the mid 90's ) wasn't the van the popular family vehicle? i remember most familys had liteaces and townaces... cars had a little less demand back then i guess. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, vag2 said:

yes, unfortunately that changed at the end of 90s when Toyota gave up diesel engines for light vehicles, depriving the mid size families from the affordable and spacious motoring option.

well because of regulations it was not sensible for Toyota to have diesel engines in PASSENGER class vehicles (almost all other manufacturers did the same...in Japan the regulations for passenger vehicles are much more stringent than for business vehicles). The 80s and 90s and even now 99% of the vans were just that..vans that were meant for business use (TownAce, LiteAce, HiAce, Caravan/URVAN Vanette, etc.. 99% of them are business vehicles intended for cargo transport) and those forever were available in diesels...even in the 90s and until now with the exception of small vans like the TownAce/LiteAce (these smaller vans went petrol only in the mid 2000s because the JDM market dynamics were such that diesel vehicles were not economically viable for the small businesses who were the main target for these vehicles). From the 90s onwards the fact that the diesel vans stopped coming in to SL IMO was not that the manufacturers stopped making them (again except for small vans like the TownAce/LiteAce in the mid 2000s) but just that considering the importing duty structures and the rupee value the diesel vans were not financially sensible; and for the same amount of money (or less) there were passenger transport oriented "van" and other vehicle options. 

6 hours ago, matroska said:

a little OT but if my memory serves me right when I was a kid (this is back in the mid 90's ) wasn't the van the popular family vehicle? i remember most familys had liteaces and townaces... cars had a little less demand back then i guess. 

It was what they could afford, ridicules tax structure at the time was in favor of vans.

You could get a Liteace or a Townace for half price of a Corolla

Now vans are double the price of 1000cc Audi

8 hours ago, iRage said:

well because of regulations it was not sensible for Toyota to have diesel engines in PASSENGER class vehicles (almost all other manufacturers did the same...in Japan the regulations for passenger vehicles are much more stringent than for business vehicles).

I agree with the rest but this point. EU regulations of the time were no less stringent than Japanese, but at this time they chose to INNOVATE instead of abandoning diesel. The common rail system and pump injection(VW) which brought a lot of sales was a result of that. Now it's become challenging again for diesel passenger cars, but even BMW recently confirmed that diesels will be around for next 30years because

1. One has to take the electrification hype with a pinch of salt ( charging infrastructure, battery raw materials)

2. Its extremely hard to reach fleet emissions of CO2 < 95g/km without diesels which emit less CO2

I think the real reason why Japanese abandoned diesel passenger cars was the local market preference ( Japanese families drive shorter distances and care more about engine vibration during the weekly shopping ride of 10km) and the high costs of innovative technology (exhaust after treatment systems etc) not being offset by their small(er) market share. This is proven by that Toyota kept releasing diesel cars in EU markets until recently)

Edited by vag2

But I think mostly it’s due to the Toyota’s reasons other than japanese regulations. Every luxury car maker had moved to diesel engines (bmw,merc,audi and even jags) but still Lexus is using petrol engines. As I remember (correct me if I’m wrong) Mazda Axela had diesel engine options in Japanese market. But even the famous 1KD-FTV had been swept away from the Prados.

This isnt the ideal time to purchase a new Hiace van. If you go through the listing for vehicles for sale you'll realize not many Hiace vans came down after 2017. This is because now Hiace vans carry a duty of around 4.5mil and with rising yen value a brand new unit will set you back at least 11 million. Also in 2018 the Hiace changed from KDH to GDH  as Toyota replaced the 1KD-FTV with 1GD-FTV.

As you are considering this as an investment, you should take a look at the running costs of both vehicles as well. The Hiace will cost you far more than Fit Shuttle to maintain.

Persoanlly I don't think it's a smart idea to buy a vehicle solely based on it's second market

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, vag2 said:

I think the real reason why Japanese abandoned diesel passenger cars was the local market preference ( Japanese families drive shorter distances and care more about engine vibration during the weekly shopping ride of 10km) and the high costs of innovative technology (exhaust after treatment systems etc) not being offset by their small(er) market share. This is proven by that Toyota kept releasing diesel cars in EU markets until recently)

Uhhh...no.....the Japanese manufacturers moved away from diesels for PASSENGER vehicles because the regulations for the passenger vehicles were quite stringent (as opposed to the business vehicle regulations). The Euro diesel engines they were putting in other global models still did not meet Japanese regulations. Even European diesels hardly made it to Japan in this era because they did not comply until the mid late 2000s. Since almost ALL Japanese manufacturers were going Hybrid and/or EV during this era, it was not viable for any of these manufacturers to invest on innovation/R&D in to diesel engines specifically for Japan (granted Nissan had an advantage due to its alliance with Renault in getting a clean diesel out quickly...then Mitsubishi did have a cleaner diesel engine for some time which they are hounding to death until now, unfortunately this is also one reason for the demise of the Pajero and Delica in Japan).  

The Japanese people have always  considered diesels to be dirty and industrially rugged. 90% of the diesel sedans, station wagons and hatchbacks in reality were fleet vehicles for sales reps, in town deliveries, rentals, etc...  Normal families hardly bought diesel passenger cars because considering the higher purchase cost and diesel prices, the low usage of vehicles by families hardly justified buying one (a stark reality we Sri Lankans do not want to acknowledge because that means those low mileage, Grade 5 diesel Starlets, etc...were not what they were). So if the population did have a dislike for diesels it was mainly due to its uncleanliness of the technology (and price). Which, yet again, justifies the Japanese manufacturers opting to bow out of diesels in Japan and focus on alternatives. Yes the SUVs in diesel were doing quite well in the family vehicle segment because with the larger heavy bodies the low end torque helped a lot to move the vehicle along. So in essence, a diesel vehicle market within the family owners segment never really did exist. So the whole Japanese families driving less and vibration and short drive argument leading to the death of diesels in Japan is not entirely valid. 

Granted what did change for the diesel passenger car segment were the fleets (the bread and butter of the diesel passenger car segment in Japan)...which was actually spearheaded by Hybrids (which came with huge tax subsidies) that were being pushed as cleaner and equally efficient in terms of mileage. This coupled with factors such as :

* expansion of rail networks in to non-urban areas

* expansion of vehicle rental points

* kei vehicle segment actually getting more refined (and the subsidies that go along with it), etc.... 

simply moved the sales reps and fleets out of diesels as the TCO of Hybrids was actually lower than those of the diesels.

Lets not forget that the world was and is still trying to get away from fossil fuels. The Japanese did want to get a quick start on it and a market like Japan is always a good launch bed where the population can be easily lead to be early adopters.  Japanese people are only accepting diesels as respectable passenger power trains only since recently...in fact Mazda had a hard time marketing the SKYACTIV-D power train appealing. 

Your statement about Japanese car use behavior is actually in reverse. From the 2000s onwards...average families actually started to use their cars more because of the Japanese economy (or they did not buy a car at all).....so the days of people buying cars just to run 3000km a year significantly reduced during this era.A shift that continues to this day. This also is a reason why Japanese manufacturers have prolonged the model life cycles for almost all of the JDM models. 

Edited by iRage

15 hours ago, kush said:

It was what they could afford, ridicules tax structure at the time was in favor of vans.

You could get a Liteace or a Townace for half price of a Corolla

Thanks I actually didn't know that back then (obviously)  - all i remember was that most houses you went to there were vanettes, liteaces and townaces(the most in demand of the lot) the odd delica - white vans, black bumpers ...things were rather drab back then :D 

1 hour ago, matroska said:

Thanks I actually didn't know that back then (obviously)  - all i remember was that most houses you went to there were vanettes, liteaces and townaces(the most in demand of the lot) the odd delica - white vans, black bumpers ...things were rather drab back then :D 

My father had a Largo back then in early 90s. It's a basic one without even power steering. A neighbor had a Townace(CR27) which was  in high demand and always felt jealous about it :P

4 hours ago, iRage said:

Uhhh...no.....the Japanese manufacturers moved away from diesels for PASSENGER vehicles because the regulations for the passenger vehicles were quite stringent (as opposed to the business vehicle regulations). The Euro diesel engines they were putting in other global models still did not meet Japanese regulations. Even European diesels hardly made it to Japan in this era because they did not comply until the mid late 2000s. Since almost ALL Japanese manufacturers were going Hybrid and/or EV during this era, it was not viable for any of these manufacturers to invest on innovation/R&D in to diesel engines specifically for Japan (granted Nissan had an advantage due to its alliance with Renault in getting a clean diesel out quickly...then Mitsubishi did have a cleaner diesel engine for some time which they are hounding to death until now, unfortunately this is also one reason for the demise of the Pajero and Delica in Japan).  

The Japanese people have always  considered diesels to be dirty and industrially rugged. 90% of the diesel sedans, station wagons and hatchbacks in reality were fleet vehicles for sales reps, in town deliveries, rentals, etc...  Normal families hardly bought diesel passenger cars because considering the higher purchase cost and diesel prices, the low usage of vehicles by families hardly justified buying one (a stark reality we Sri Lankans do not want to acknowledge because that means those low mileage, Grade 5 diesel Starlets, etc...were not what they were). So if the population did have a dislike for diesels it was mainly due to its uncleanliness of the technology (and price). Which, yet again, justifies the Japanese manufacturers opting to bow out of diesels in Japan and focus on alternatives. Yes the SUVs in diesel were doing quite well in the family vehicle segment because with the larger heavy bodies the low end torque helped a lot to move the vehicle along. So in essence, a diesel vehicle market within the family owners segment never really did exist. So the whole Japanese families driving less and vibration and short drive argument leading to the death of diesels in Japan is not entirely valid. 

Granted what did change for the diesel passenger car segment were the fleets (the bread and butter of the diesel passenger car segment in Japan)...which was actually spearheaded by Hybrids (which came with huge tax subsidies) that were being pushed as cleaner and equally efficient in terms of mileage. This coupled with factors such as :

* expansion of rail networks in to non-urban areas

* expansion of vehicle rental points

* kei vehicle segment actually getting more refined (and the subsidies that go along with it), etc.... 

simply moved the sales reps and fleets out of diesels as the TCO of Hybrids was actually lower than those of the diesels.

Lets not forget that the world was and is still trying to get away from fossil fuels. The Japanese did want to get a quick start on it and a market like Japan is always a good launch bed where the population can be easily lead to be early adopters.  Japanese people are only accepting diesels as respectable passenger power trains only since recently...in fact Mazda had a hard time marketing the SKYACTIV-D power train appealing. 

Your statement about Japanese car use behavior is actually in reverse. From the 2000s onwards...average families actually started to use their cars more because of the Japanese economy (or they did not buy a car at all).....so the days of people buying cars just to run 3000km a year significantly reduced during this era.A shift that continues to this day. This also is a reason why Japanese manufacturers have prolonged the model life cycles for almost all of the JDM models. 

Ahhh I get it. I met two people in SL who went for a Petrol Prado and Petrol Hilux due to vibrations in the diesel variants (they had deep pockets too).

14 minutes ago, alpha17 said:

Ahhh I get it. I met two people in SL who went for a Petrol Prado and Petrol Hilux due to vibrations in the diesel variants (they had deep pockets too).

But the vibrations in the diesel Prado and new Hilux are very very minimal noh ? Has been so for a while..