• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

1996 Toyota Mark 2 GX100 (1GFE) MTM - Fuel Consumption

Klutch192

Hey All,

Been following Autolanka for sometime and finally decided to register in. I recently bought a Mark 2 GX100. (226k Mileage). In great condition, overall. I did replace the rear shocks (new) recently and did a gear box repair with a new clutch plate (new) and all! However, despite all the love I give this car, the fuel consumption is pretty bad. It does a mere 5.2 Per litre.. I always fill up the tank, never let it go below 15 litres.. For a good 55 litres all this does is close to 290.. Is there something I can do to improve this? I am not technically sound, so some of the stuff I read here need to be googled, consider me a dummy! I really love this car. In fact, I've always wanted this and now that I finally have it, I dont want to get rid of it for at least another 2 to 3 years. Please help! 

Akhila

Hmmm...5.2 does seem to be low...know quite a few people who have Mark 2s and on average they seem to get about 7ish (some a bit lower some a bit higher; which is pretty decent considering the size of the car and the amount of work the stock engine has to do..and they are quite spirited when it comes to driving..the ones who do get close to 9 drive the car mostly on open roads and/or like grand mothers).

Have you checked your filters, spark plugs, etc... ? How about the tires ? have you increased the size/width ? How is the pressure ? 

Apart from the efficiency,.. or lack of it,.. ( for such a big, heavy car)  lift the car up and get the brakes checked for binding, replace the air filter , new sparks.

When calculating efficiency,.. you drive with over 40 liters of empty space in the tank,..guess what happens to petrol in our mid day heat?

do a drive without A/C at night and you'll see better,  

Basically,,.. it's how you drive, when and where,..

Lastly, every petrol station has it's own definition of a liter,.. so go to different station in your locality or 'shop arround' for the best 'fill'.

TT.

Edited by Twin Turbo

Man, good info on the petrol station.. Need to keep a track of this as well... I am putting it to service today, so I will change the air-filter and I will get the brake binding checked.. I replaced the shocks only last week so I am guessing I will see a change there as well? 
I maintain a 32psi on the tires.. However, I do need to replace the tires for this since they are a reasonably old (Was like that when I bought the car). I may need to check the spark plugs as well like you guys mentioned.. Will do the changes and give you guys an update..

Any more info would help! :)

• Like 1