• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

92 or 95 octane for the Suzuki Alto Turbo RS?

AVANTE

So we are finally planning on getting a new family hauler and my rule was that this time it shouldn't be a chore to own or drive. Dad wants something not very old and mom wants something with an auto & creature comforts. So we settled on buying a 2015 Alto turbo RS.

My only doubt is that will it require premium petrol? I ask this because this is a very small engine and a very small turbo and the boost is set in a way that it gives a decent increase in torque. So will putting normal 92 octane fuel (Ceypetco) lead to knocking and potential premature wear for the turbocharger like it would in bigger turbos? I hope a kei-car/turbo expert can clarify this for me as soon as possible because the price of 95 petrol will drive us crazy in the long run:)

Edited by □AVANTE□

2 hours ago, □AVANTE□ said:

So we are finally planning on getting a new family hauler and my rule was that this time it shouldn't be a chore to own or drive. Dad wants something not very old and mom wants something with an auto & creature comforts. So we settled on buying a 2015 Alto turbo RS.

My only doubt is that will it require premium petrol? I ask this because this is a very small engine and a very small turbo and the boost is set in a way that it gives a decent increase in torque. So will putting normal 92 octane fuel (Ceypetco) lead to knocking and potential premature wear for the turbocharger like it would in bigger turbos? I hope a kei-car/turbo expert can clarify this for me as soon as possible because the price of 95 petrol will drive us crazy in the long run:)

Knocking has very little to do with turbo wear, unless it’s some horrendous knock and there’s preignition in the turbo housing or reignition in the exhaust manifold / the afterburner effect

Very less likely in such a small engine, it’s a tiny little turbo with very little lag,  even if you put 92 to it, the ecu will not let the thing knock, will self adjust the ignition timing etc to keep things smooth

In order to get the best performance and the engine probably has a higher compression ratio than the normal counterpart, so premium fuel is advised

Do a search and note down the compression ratio and the Ron they require in factory. Most likely it’s 95

as most of the turbo Suzuki Keri’s were adviced to 5w30 oil and premium fuel

normally they state anything below 89 as regular, and rest as premium , search the forum once irage commented very informatively 

I did test drive one of these and do not assume this is a comfortable kei for normal city driving / hauling

suspension and seats are very stiff and is very rev happy, also not as economical as the normal one. Corners like it’s on rails

Obviously all that power tweaking is going to end in compromise to longevity, so expect things when u attain higher mileages, but it’s a rewarding car, even  small running repairs can turn into upgrades with performance parts etc

Specific body Parts are VERY rare and expensive at the moment, so make sure u get full insurance and a very low mileage well sound example. 

Engine parts are also quite rare, 

A lovely little car in all, with something for the daily and many smiles for the weekend fun run.

Edited by tiv
  • Thanks 1

Would your father veto this one

https://i k m a n.lk/en/ad/mitsubishi-lancer-glx-cs1-2008-for-sale-colombo-8

I mean it's perfect for your requirement and budget, most probably it's the first owner

From what I can see it's a carbon copy of this when it comes to maintenance and ownership, only newer

Edited by Hyaenidae
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hyaenidae said:

I mean it's perfect for your requirement and budget, most probably it's the first owner

We had a brand new CS1 GLX trim back in 2008! I would steer it while my dad would control the gas & brakes:angry-smiley-044: I did consider one a week back but I didn't choose it because I thought the Alto would be more fun to drive. My dad would veto it if we can find a good one. Thanks for your suggestion!

2 hours ago, tiv said:

Obviously all that power tweaking is going to end in compromise to longevity, so expect things when u attain higher mileages, but it’s a rewarding car, even  small running repairs can turn into upgrades with performance parts etc

Specific body Parts are VERY rare and expensive at the moment, so make sure u get full insurance and a very low mileage well sound example. 

Engine parts are also quite rare, 

A lovely little car in all, with something for the daily and many smiles for the weekend fun run.

Thanks for your advice! Since we won't be doing much hard-driving (for me, fun to drive means a good steering feel, good acceleration, better than normal soundtrack, good grip & low-end torque) , I believe we can maintain it well as this isn't a hardcore performance vehicle like an Evo or Rex. 

About parts, I think this applies for all new kei-cars (apart from the trendy WagonR & Every) Like you mentioned, the 'corners like its on rails' is what I'm favouring this thing for :D

Edited by □AVANTE□

2 minutes ago, kush said:

If it needs 95 don't buy it with the current price difference it is not worth.

Being a Jap Kei car most probably it will be happy with 92, as most of the Jap turbos are.

Of course, now way we will. I mean its so sad, like 2 years ago a liter of super juice was like 128/-

The era of the fossil fuel burners is obviously nearing the end & it's a shame the future generation may not get to experience the ear-orgasm, pops, crackles, flutters & roars of our old guzzlers in person. Hope EVs can do a great job at being thrilling to drive.

22 minutes ago, □AVANTE□ said:

We had a brand new CS1 GLX trim back in 2008! I would steer it while my dad would control the gas & brakes:angry-smiley-044: I did consider one a week back but I didn't choose it because I thought the Alto would be more fun to drive. My dad would veto it if we can find a good one. Thanks for your suggestion!

Well, at least the Alto might have better acceleration than the CS1... I guess

Pity your father got rid of the CS before you had a chance to drive it... you wouldn't have let it go if you got a chance to "taste" it properly :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

When a turbo is added to an engine by the manufacture most of the internal parts are also changed  to cope with additional power/ torque and heat. So it is a different car with different parts. Most likely different gear ratios, brakes and suspension too.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hyaenidae said:

Well, at least the Alto might have better acceleration than the CS1... I guess

Pity your father got rid of the CS before you had a chance to drive it... you wouldn't have let it go if you got a chance to "taste" it properly :D

It sure was comfortable, no bad memories about that! Wish I could drive one again. Also the car in the ad looks sweet and the price is attractive as well! We'll give it a try!

Edited by □AVANTE□

8 minutes ago, kush said:

When a turbo is added to an engine by the manufacture most of the internal parts are also changed  to cope with additional power/ torque and heat. So it is a different car with different parts. Most likely different gear ratios, brakes and suspension too.

The gear ratios, brakes & suspension is all different. But i'd never have thought that a small turbo and an increase of 35Nm in torque would warrant different internals but this is a tiny engine after all so I guess you're right!

21 hours ago, Hyaenidae said:

From what I can see it's a carbon copy of this when it comes to maintenance and ownership, only newer

Not relevant to this topic but I saw this ad from your post yesterday and one of my friends was looking for a Lancer so we ended by checking the car yesterday night and then went again in the early morning today and bought this one. Thanks for mentioning it @Hyaenidae it was in good state with all work had been done at Unimo. I was looking for Lancers I checked a whole bunch of Cs1s and cs3 even at Unimo auctions a few months back in April, I couldn't find a satisfying unit and I ended up buying a KSP 130. 

• Like 1

On 6/22/2019 at 8:28 PM, □AVANTE□ said:

The gear ratios, brakes & suspension is all different. But i'd never have thought that a small turbo and an increase of 35Nm in torque would warrant different internals but this is a tiny engine after all so I guess you're right!

35Nmwas something we gained by losing an air filter back in the day off road!

• Haha 1

On 6/22/2019 at 8:15 PM, Hyaenidae said:

I did consider one a week back but I didn't choose it because I thought the Alto would be more fun to drive.

If you search this forum you will be surprised to know that lots of members are convinced to buy lancers over the others. They are still very happy customers including myself. As @Hyaenidae suggested the alto might have the edge on the acceleration. But I highly doubt on the other aspects. Making this sentiment Cause I am highly biased towards lancers.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2019 at 3:00 PM, ghostwriter said:

Not relevant to this topic but I saw this ad from your post yesterday and one of my friends was looking for a Lancer so we ended by checking the car yesterday night and then went again in the early morning today and bought this one. Thanks for mentioning it @Hyaenidae it was in good state with all work had been done at Unimo. I was looking for Lancers I checked a whole bunch of Cs1s and cs3 even at Unimo auctions a few months back in April, I couldn't find a satisfying unit and I ended up buying a KSP 130. 

:D Glad to be of service!

On 6/22/2019 at 6:41 PM, □AVANTE□ said:

For the record...the user manual says Unleaded regular gasoline (section 8-1 in the user manual). In Japan regular Gasoline ranges from 92 - 95 ish depending on the brand.

• Thanks 1