• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

To the experts & enthusiasts..

AVANTE

Hi, I'm a 17 year old , genuine car enthusiast from Mawanella. I have been hit in the head with the petrolhead madness ever since I was 6.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but all I really want to say is that I sincerely thank the experts and enthusiasts here in the Autolanka forums as reading their posts & comments in the forums have helped me alot in learning about the car culture here in Sri Lanka (I was born and raised in a foreign country for most of my childhood). I'm glad to know that there are still people who respect driving pleasure, people who don't want to spend their lives stuck inside an econobox or a boring people hauler, people who are ready to spend and work hard for their 4-wheeled craze machines. I've seen an Integra type-R project, a member who owns a rare Alfa 159 (Alfinsti is his name I think) and now an ongoing 'moggie' project. Even their advice had helped me and my family to avoid buying a shitbox or to be cheated by the words of maka-bases and such fellows.

Since I'm from a middle class family and my parents aren't really interested in the art of driving, there is no way I can get a chance to own a decent fun to drive car (unless I go abroad) maybe until I'm 30+ due to my family obligations and the situation of this county (fuel prices, taxes, hard to find good condition cars and spares & the prevalence of EVs & hybrids, hard to drive in these areas). It is also depressing that you don't have anyone to share your passion with around my area (except for my one, good friend & my small brother). Adults would say I'm crazy and that I'm wasting my time chasing around gas-guzzlers & old rust buckets. I used to watch Initial D and Wangan Midnight along with few classics like Taxi (1998), the F&F series, Christine, etc.. I study and work hard at school with the hope that I can be successful in the future and fulfil my dreams of owning a true drivers car before its too late. I hope that the people who own such wonderful machines & the people who live in/near the Colombo area understand how lucky they are as no matter how hard life gets, they can enjoy their cars.

I'm sorry because I had no one to say all this to & thanks again to the wonderful members of Autolanka!:action-smiley-035:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, □AVANTE□ said:

people who live in/near the Colombo area understand how lucky they are as no matter how hard life gets, they can enjoy their cars.

Get your learners permit and go for a drive around Colombo roads to see how enjoyable it is :D You'll love living in the country then

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Hyaenidae said:

Get your learners permit and go for a drive around Colombo roads to see how enjoyable it is :D You'll love living in the country then

I did get my permit, and honestly I do enjoy the turns and corners of our roads and as I have relations in Kolonnawa & Aluthgama, I know that Colombo traffic can make life hell.. but I was referring to the highways and nicely paved stretches of roads that you see around those parts. We can't even take a slightly lowered car like an EK3 into our home without scraping. Hell I can't even pass 60kmh on my FZ without the risk of hitting something:angry-smiley-030: but I guess that's how Sri Lanka generally is.

Work on your dreams, I was in your place long years back.

Get a good education/ training find a good job/ profession/ business that could get you there.

Dream cars do not have to be expensive, actually there are quite a few at reasonable prices with TLC from guys who are upgrading.

I started with a MK 1 VW Golf

• Thanks 1

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the appreciation. People generally come here to ask a question, get their answer and never to return. But it seems like you have been a reader long enough to realise that the information shared in the forums is invaluable. Every regular and long term member is responsible for keeping it that way, so kudos to all.

My advice to you is that you are just 17. You have your entire life head of you. What you make of it is totally up to you. 

To quote one of my favourite movies...

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Davy said:

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the appreciation. People generally come here to ask a question, get their answer and never to return. But it seems like you have been a reader long enough to realise that the information shared in the forums is invaluable. Every regular and long term member is responsible for keeping it that way, so kudos to all.

My advice to you is that you are just 17. You have your entire life head of you. What you make of it is totally up to you. 

To quote one of my favourite movies...

Ah the pursuit of happyness! One of the only films that could make me shed a tear or two! I've been reading these forums for almost 2 years and decided to make an account mainly to post this. Thanks alot!!! ?

7 hours ago, kush said:

Work on your dreams, I was in your place long years back.

Get a good education/ training find a good job/ profession/ business that could get you there.

Dream cars do not have to be expensive, actually there are quite a few at reasonable prices with TLC from guys who are upgrading.

I started with a MK 1 VW Golf

My dream cars aren't what most would call expensive (W124, R129, Evo IV, Austin Mini & a sleeper Mitsubishi PO15) but it's gonna take a while to get a job to buy one of those and who knows what the status of those things will be in the future. But like you said, I'll try and go for it!

8 hours ago, Hyaenidae said:

Nah

Where's this? It looks so refreshing to drive through. Also we have a road that goes from Mawanella to Gampola through Hemmathagama. It has alot of curves and the road condition is nice except you gotta have a fun car to enjoy them ?

1 hour ago, □AVANTE□ said:

we have a road that goes from Mawanella to Gampola through Hemmathagama. It has alot of curves and the road condition is nice

Ahh yes..This is one of the best driving experience ever. The road and the curves remind me of canyon Race in NFS carbon and the final Drift race in Tokyo drift.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, K.o.N.o.S said:

The road and the curves remind me of canyon Race in NFS carbon and the final Drift race in Tokyo drift.

Exactly! Also how did you end up finding that road?

15 hours ago, K.o.N.o.S said:

Ahh yes..This is one of the best driving experience ever. The road and the curves remind me of canyon Race in NFS carbon and the final Drift race in Tokyo drift.

Madampe - Neluwa - Morawaka road is fantastic too. Carpet is smooth, not much traffic with lot of inclines and curves.

Newer seen a cop ? ?

• Like 2