• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Mithubishi Montero vs Kia Sorento

sfernando

Hi Guys, 

I am looking to buy a SUV and my budget is around 10 million.

I am thinking about the above two option.

Please suggest which vehicle I should go for considering after sale value, performance, ride comfort (front seat mainly) and easier to find spare parts

Montero 2013 diesel 3.2

Sorento 2014/2015 diesel 2.4

If you think some other vehicle for this budget suggest that too. 

I have seen some Chinese once Glory 508 just wondering will it be another option to consider.

Thanks

• 1 month later...
On 6/17/2019 at 9:50 AM, kush said:

Montero 2013 will be fairly basic but will be the better buy if you can find a good one which is not hacked to death

@kush thanks mate. I heard many people claim montero prevoius version is more comfortable than new version, is it true? also does it have better resale value over new one ( old one means > before 2006-2012) new one after 2013. thanks

On 6/17/2019 at 9:35 AM, sfernando said:

Hi Guys, 

I am looking to buy a SUV and my budget is around 10 million.

I am thinking about the above two option.

Please suggest which vehicle I should go for considering after sale value, performance, ride comfort (front seat mainly) and easier to find spare parts

Montero 2013 diesel 3.2

Sorento 2014/2015 diesel 2.4

If you think some other vehicle for this budget suggest that too. 

I have seen some Chinese once Glory 508 just wondering will it be another option to consider.

Thanks

I m using Montero/ pajero for the past 10 years almost...

I have had a v78 and and 2 v98s.... now I m using a pajero v98...

NO issues so far.... except a dpf problem..got recently...but managed.. 

When compared to the Sorrento... I think the spares and most services are easily done with a Montero.... 

Try to buy a one ...preferably maintained with the agents ... at least you can have a trace..

I think it s false belief that the older version is better....

And regarding the options.. most of them were basic .. because were made to fit for the permits...available those days..

Fully loaded cars are there... but I think are well above your budget.. 

Sporty exterior and rich looking interior of the Sorento would definietly catch the eyes of anyone. Opposed to that Montero has a boxy design plus a cheap looking interior. But remember...Hyundai and Kia vehicles start showing their age much faster than a japanese one. They might be a real bargain as a brand new import, but as used vehicle, I wouldn’t recommend to anyone. Usually korean vehicles’ interior parts start giving rattles after sometime. Even they have used nice materials, solidity is not upto the jap standards.

Montero is a pretty solid vehicle with ample of spares available. 3.2 DID engine sounds like a Canter lorry, but those engines are pretty reliable. Remember to go for the Super Exceed variant, as it would give you the best options plus a really nice sound system.

Both jeeps are pretty common on SL roads, but montero is more prestigious and also in a class above the Kia.

You will not get the same kmpl as the diesels you were considering.

Prado is not as comfortable due to the ladder frame chassis, but great if you are in to off road, wild trails etc.

Prestige factor will be more if it is a want

If you don't do much running will be a better option 

6 hours ago, sfernando said:

In case if I find Prado petrol one 2010-2011 which one do u recommend to buy? 

I assume you are referring to the 2700cc Prado, it is kind of under powered but I have heard that it gives decent fuel economy

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2019 at 12:05 PM, sfernando said:

In case if I find Prado petrol one 2010-2011 which one do u recommend to buy? 

Too old, the car has been almost 10 years in Sri lanka, expect most to be abused by playing V*P as well, mileages turned back, parts aren't plentiful and aren't cheap either. Also the model will be refreshed soon after so many face lifts. Does about 4kmpl in traffic and 8 to 9 kmpl outstation.

There is no point of even discussing or even a comparison of a Kia and dfsk vs a montero and a prado, 

Edited by tiv
  • Like 1

KIAs are a pain to work on if something comes up. One of my friends got a 2015 Sorento and recently replaced the AC evaporator. I'm sure a defender could have it's bulkhead swapped easier than that. They are designed so compact and space efficiently than their japanese counterparts. Which makes simple repairs 2-3 day projects ?.

And they do not age well despite having fancy interior from factory. Door handles and interior plastic trim pieces are the first to go.

On 8/23/2019 at 7:54 AM, alds said:

KIAs are a pain to work on if something comes up. One of my friends got a 2015 Sorento and recently replaced the AC evaporator. I'm sure a defender could have it's bulkhead swapped easier than that. They are designed so compact and space efficiently than their japanese counterparts. Which makes simple repairs 2-3 day projects ?.

And they do not age well despite having fancy interior from factory. Door handles and interior plastic trim pieces are the first to go.

Replacing AC evaporator in any modern car is tricky as you need to remove the dash. 

Im not sure why you say interior trims go bad pretty soon as i am using my Sorento for past 6 years daily driven with almost 65K KMs.  No rattling noises, parts coming off etc...  Actually my cousins  2015 Vezel's plastic parts getting discolored and Kia interior still looks as new. 

This is my opinion.  

13 minutes ago, JayZ said:

Replacing AC evaporator in any modern car is tricky as you need to remove the dash. 

Im not sure why you say interior trims go bad pretty soon as i am using my Sorento for past 6 years daily driven with almost 65K KMs.  No rattling noises, parts coming off etc...  Actually my cousins  2015 Vezel's plastic parts getting discolored and Kia interior still looks as new. 

This is my opinion.  

100% agreed, I had been using Sorento until 2 years back when I sold with the same original interior look. 

33 minutes ago, JayZ said:

This is my opinion.  

Depends on the usage I guess, 65K for 6 years is too low to show any signs of wear IMO. The vehicle I referred to had 146K last I saw it.(2014 YOM). 

Removing the dash was the hard work during that repair. They have everything from weird bolt sizes to welded plastic tabs holding the dash to the metal. 

Vehicle becoming hard to work on is the norm as I see but Koreans examples are ahead of others following the Apple manufacturing ideology.

Im not saying Koren vehicles are above any other,  But mind you the sorento was parked under direct sun light during work all this time. 

And i would argue fit and finish is much  of higher quality compared to many budget Toyota / Nissan / Mitsubisshi etc.

Also our previous Rexton which we used for 150K + kms and almost 8 years also didn't had any interior trim issues. 

Engine reliability compared to a Montero, i cannot comment. But i checked the permit Montero before going for the Sorento and it was way basic and felt like interior is Indian cheap. (Door panels were covered in cloth, cheaper plastics, vehicle key was like a key from a old locker etc)