• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Is Toyota Rav4 Vanguard 2009/10 a good 7 seater?

hustlehard

After extensive search for a 7 seater to buy under 5 million, i found this gorgeous suv called Rav4 vanguard but im very hesitant to buy it due to low amount of vehicles in the country and resale value.
But i heard there are plenty of spareparts for this beauty and now the only thing im concerned about is the resale value.

Any experts who can give me some solid advice on buying a Toyota Rav4 Vanguard? please advice me about the petrol consumption too

Thanks in advance!!

Edited by hustlehard

The 3rd Generation RAV4 came in two body types....the Japanese and some european markets got the RAV4 in Shortwheel base form, whilst some markets got it in Long Wheel Base form. However in Japan both the Short and Long wheel base versions were sold. The SWB was badged as RAV4 and the LWB version as Vanguard (so it is incorrect to call it RAV4 Vanguard...although one can be understood for calling it such). THe Vanguard was introduced to the Japense market as the replacement for the Kluger (Highlander in other markets) as the new model of Kluger was not introduced in Japan.

If you are looking at the 2.4L Vangauard then it has the same engine and gearbox as the RAV4 (the variant that is common in SL) which is a 2AZ engine with a K112 series CVT. If you are looking at a 3.5L variant, then is has the 2GR engine from the Crown with a U151 5 speed automatic transmission. The 2.4L variant machanical parts would be easy to find because there are plenty of SWB RAV4s around. The 3.5L engine parts would be a bit harder to find but not impossible. 

Some body parts between the RAV4 and Vanguard are interchangeable..some are not...so those parts owuld requires some hunting down.

The 3.5L variant is a lot more nippier and fun to drive with the extra power and raunchiness of the automatic transmission. The 2.4L with the CVT is also prettier decent but the CVT takes a bit of the fun away. 

The Vanguard is not as nimble as the shorter RAV4 but it does feel a bit more stable and comfy at higher speeds (as to be expected with a LWB).

As for the third row seat at the back....it is quite easy to get in and out of and has enough leg room space if you are a short built person and the middle row seat has been pulled a bit forward. Same goes with head room. Shoulders would be rubbing a bit though. With the third row seats down you will have luggage room for 1 medium suitcase and some grocery bags and that is it. 

9 hours ago, iRage said:

The 3rd Generation RAV4 came in two body types....the Japanese and some european markets got the RAV4 in Shortwheel base form, whilst some markets got it in Long Wheel Base form. However in Japan both the Short and Long wheel base versions were sold. The SWB was badged as RAV4 and the LWB version as Vanguard (so it is incorrect to call it RAV4 Vanguard...although one can be understood for calling it such). THe Vanguard was introduced to the Japense market as the replacement for the Kluger (Highlander in other markets) as the new model of Kluger was not introduced in Japan.

If you are looking at the 2.4L Vangauard then it has the same engine and gearbox as the RAV4 (the variant that is common in SL) which is a 2AZ engine with a K112 series CVT. If you are looking at a 3.5L variant, then is has the 2GR engine from the Crown with a U151 5 speed automatic transmission. The 2.4L variant machanical parts would be easy to find because there are plenty of SWB RAV4s around. The 3.5L engine parts would be a bit harder to find but not impossible. 

Some body parts between the RAV4 and Vanguard are interchangeable..some are not...so those parts owuld requires some hunting down.

The 3.5L variant is a lot more nippier and fun to drive with the extra power and raunchiness of the automatic transmission. The 2.4L with the CVT is also prettier decent but the CVT takes a bit of the fun away. 

The Vanguard is not as nimble as the shorter RAV4 but it does feel a bit more stable and comfy at higher speeds (as to be expected with a LWB).

As for the third row seat at the back....it is quite easy to get in and out of and has enough leg room space if you are a short built person and the middle row seat has been pulled a bit forward. Same goes with head room. Shoulders would be rubbing a bit though. With the third row seats down you will have luggage room for 1 medium suitcase and some grocery bags and that is it. 

Thank you very much for your detailed explanation. Do you think buying a rav4 vanguard instead of something like a 2010 petrol Kia Sorento is a good decision? Or just the Vanguard as a whole a good marketable vehicle? Cus ive only seen 1 vanguard on the road in my entire lifetime haha

On 6/16/2019 at 2:38 PM, hustlehard said:

Thank you very much for your detailed explanation. Do you think buying a rav4 vanguard instead of something like a 2010 petrol Kia Sorento is a good decision? Or just the Vanguard as a whole a good marketable vehicle? Cus ive only seen 1 vanguard on the road in my entire lifetime haha

That is a decision you have to make for yourself based on taking both on test drives....Sorry to be pedantic but there is nothing called a RAV4 Vanguard. RAV4 is one vehicle (SWB) and Vnaguard is a different vehicle.

I personally prefer the Vanguard over the Sorento but the Sorento is also a decent vehicle and I believe you would get a bit more bang for the buck with the Kia. Also, you do get quite a few of them around and the local agent supports the vehicle so you are always covered. The Vanguard..well..for the most part it won't be any more difficult nor easier than maintaining a normal RAV4 (the local agent did NOT sell that many RAV4s in SL and 99% of RAV4s you see on the road are grey imports and our expereience with the RAV4 has been that third party parts suppliers have a lot more parts on hand than the agent). I have seen several Vanguards around...albeit almost all of them are 2WD. Even in Japan the Vanguard did not sell that well compared to the RAV4 mainly due to the price...which also reflects on why the thing never made it to SL.