• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Stucked manual transmission

Adhithya

Hello everyone im new to this forum and this is my first post..this is my problem 

I bought a 1971 toyota corona mark 2 and it was in the running condition when i take it home although i could change only to 2nd gear 5th gear and the reverse. After i came home somehow by driving after 3 week when i checked Back none of the gears are working not even the 2nd 5th or reverse which worked earlier. The stick is completely stucked. 

I still did not start restoring the car..before i do off frame restoration i need your thoughts why the gears are not working. Is it a major issue which is hard to repair? Cant it be a issue with clutch plate, pressure plate, clutch cable or linkage? Or something more serious with the gears. 

Fyi gears are not working either in the engine start mode or off mode. 

Thanks.

It's a car that's almost 50 years old. It could be pretty much anything since you don't know the history of the car. I think the first mistake was driving a car that had only 2 gear left in it. You should have either towed it or put it on a flatbed and taken it to a garage. 

As Twin Turbo suggested, you should take off the oil drain bolt of the transmission to see if there's oil in it. If not, driving the car without oil in the transmission probably caused it to (fully) seize. You'd have to take the transmission apart and see if it can be rebuilt.

If there is oil, and the oil is good, check to verify if the linkages between the shifter and the gearbox aren't stuck. you'd have to get under the car to have a good look. 

You might also want to check if the clutch cable needs adjustment. A partially disengaging clutch can cause the shifter to get stuck. In your case, this is probably not the issue. 

• Like 1