• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Newest Vehicle Colour change Process at RMV

so I thought of sharing the information of the colour change process at RMV as it is not the same process as it was before few years back.

2 years ago, when i wanted to get the book updated for my colour change for my previous car it was so simple.. you obtain a form from narahenpita rmv, then go to werahera rmv and show the car. they then just check the chassis number, engine number and then one inspector approves the form with a seal with a 500 buck receipt. then had to go to narahenpita rmv with the form and the book of the car and they will send the book in 4,5 months time after updating it. thats it.

That was then but now, shit gets real as the process has changed.

Now if the car has lease, you can't get the colour change approval. You need to clear all your lease and get the book to your hand before the color change.

Then you have to go get the form from narahenpita RMV and go to werahera RMV early in the morning at 8 and then stay in the queue. even if you go first doesnt mean you are the first to be inspected. also if you dont go before 10, you will be sent home to come early the next day. you stay seated inside for like 2 hours until they call your name. then you have to pay 500 bucks and get a receipt from them. Then you have to sit and wait for another hour until they call your name. And then they finally call your name. then you have to put the vehicle to the vehicle scale. then the weight of your vehicle showed in the scale should match the weight mentioned in the CR. if it doesnt match you are doomed, you cant get the approval. luckily the weight tallied mine. Then comes an inspector. He checks the engine number, chassis number, colour of the car. not only that they even measure the length of the car, height of the car, tire size, wheelbase, and all the details which are mentioned in the CR and all of those should tally what is in the book. if you have tyre size upgraded then you have to go through the process of submitting the tyre change forms as well. likewise everything should match in the book. then the first inspector checks all those and gives a signature. luckily all of those in the CR matched mine again. then you get to sit for another 1 and half hours.

Then comes the turn of the head inspector.. so for another round, you have to repeat the same process of scaling, measuring heights and lengths of the car with him as well for the 2nd time.. this time not only that, he also check if the car is mechanically or physically faulty. he tells you to blink headlights, show if signal lights, parking lights as well as number plate lights are working and then he also gets inside the damn engine and check for oil leaks.. mine had a small oil leaking from the packing, therefore my colour change was not approved and told me to go fix the leak and come.. then the next time you come they once again do the process of inspecting the car 2 times by 2 different inspectors and once again they check if the car is in absolute mint condition like a brand new car. and once again pay 125 bucks and take a receipt and stay in the queue. and if there are no faults then the head inspector gives the approval. then you have to take that approval form to rmv narahenpita with the book, and after few months you get the updated book with the updated information. now i know after you read this you wont ever want to go through a colour change process. i had to go 3 times to get the approval form only. 

hope this information helps. 

PS: This is the legal way ok :D 

Edited by PreseaLover
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Wow, Such a painful process. 

However, it's good that they do a proper roadworthy. They should make it a requirement for registration transfers as well. This way, buyers have a better chance of getting a mechanically sound vehicle (given that the seller does the roadworthy before transfer forms are obtained). 

Ok so today i went to narahenpita with the receipt they gave. Then they told me to go to the 52nd room... from there they said werahera RMV hasnt sent them the form yet, apparently they send it the very next day... so i called a contact from werahera to see they have missed to send my form to narahenpita which they should have sent last week... so now again i have to wait until werahera sends the form to narahenpita and go there again.. after obtaining another seal from the 52nd room, then have to take that approval from again to the 41st room for the final registration... this is the remaining process.. sigh! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1