• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Car registration

akboselk

Question

I purchased a new car from japan auction and imported to Sri Lanka last week and driven it from hambantota to colombo (my relative's home ) with chassis number.

Now I need to take it to my home (in Central province ) after I receive my number plate.

1) should I need to do the Emission test for recondition car from first year ?

2) can I drive it without revenue license from colombo to my home in central province ?  (because i think i have to take the revenue license from a AG office in central province )

thanks

Edited by akboselk

6 answers to this question

12 hours ago, akboselk said:

I purchased a new car from japan auction and imported to Sri Lanka last week and driven it from hambantota to colombo (my relative's home ) with chassis number.

Now I need to take it to my home (in Central province ) after I receive my number plate.

2) can I drive it without revenue license from colombo to my home in central province ?  (because i think i have to take the revenue license from a AG office in central province )

thanks

You need to get the emission test done and of cause the insurance

You can get the revenue license online at https://www.gov.lk/index.php

You will be able to print a temporary receipt, original will be posted to registered address

14 hours ago, akboselk said:

thanks

1. On paper your car is a USED car, even if it was used in Japan for a day or less. Even in Japan your car is classified as a used car even if it has been used in Japan for less than a day :)

2. Can't you register your car in the central province ?  You can get it online and drive with the receipt...even if you don't as long as you can show that you just registered your car and taking it back to your residing area

4 hours ago, iRage said:

1. On paper your car is a USED car, even if it was used in Japan for a day or less. Even in Japan your car is classified as a used car even if it has been used in Japan for less than a day :)

2. Can't you register your car in the central province ?  You can get it online and drive with the receipt...even if you don't as long as you can show that you just registered your car and taking it back to your residing area

Thanks for you and "kush" for replying.

I already have the insurgence and will able to complete the emission test after i receive registration details tomorrow.

However i have to drive the vehicle to my home in central province (without revenue license ) to get revenue license. (online service not allow for central province )

In this situation will there any legal issue ?

24 minutes ago, akboselk said:

Thanks for you and "kush" for replying.

I already have the insurgence and will able to complete the emission test after i receive registration details tomorrow.

However i have to drive the vehicle to my home in central province (without revenue license ) to get revenue license. (online service not allow for central province )

In this situation will there any legal issue ?

Well...if you ahve all the documentation showing the last few days' dates you will be able to reason with the policemen (if they stop you) that you just bought the car and finished the reigstration process and that you are going to your hometown for the revenue license

16 hours ago, iRage said:

Well...if you ahve all the documentation showing the last few days' dates you will be able to reason with the policemen (if they stop you) that you just bought the car and finished the reigstration process and that you are going to your hometown for the revenue license

Check the site it is available for Central Province

17 hours ago, iRage said:

As long as your vehicle is registered, have the insurance and emission certificate (Also the vehicle's shipping documents, just in case), I think it's fine to take it out. Last year, I took my car to Badulla with all above but without revenue license. I had no any issues (wasn't stopped by police ?). even if you are stopped, you can explain and reason with them.

About online revenue license, I tried last year but didn't work due to some system error. Couldn't login with google or any other credentials. But earlier this month, I got my second revenue license online (Uva Province) successfully. It's available for whole island now.