• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

BMW e90 vs Audi A4 B8

keizer

Currently i am using a BMW e46 320d facelift and now considering an update. My budget is around 5-5.5 million and i have narrowed down choices to e90 and b8.

I have went through most of the threads and everybody is recommending to go for a Diesel variants in Sri Lanka. I will be driving car most of the times weekends, hence i am thinking of going for a  petrol. Please provide your opinion on that and also compare both e90 and b8 in terms of;

• Performance and driving pleasure
  • Durability and build quality
  • Reliability and maintenance

I don't know lot about Audi engines, but in e90 heard that there are a lot of issues with n46 engine. In that case, is it better go for one manufactured around 2005 with n43 engine?

Edited by keizer

diesel: You would be looking at common rail engines in case of BMW. Audi introduces common rail only after 2008 models. Until then they had the pump injectors driven by cam shaft. Not many mechanics know how to work on these, and ask where is the diesel pump(which doesn't exist)

both diesel and petrol:The afore mentioned BMW engine problems(timing chain tensioner issue and turbo vanes breaking and going to the intake) did not affect all engines and would have come up already and been fixed now if the car was affected . Second hand market is also better. But the rubber hoses(coolant, air) in the bmw engine would be developing cracks at this age. Audi is a VW inside, with cosmetic and other mods to make it more luxurious looking and feeling.

Edited by ajm

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/19/2019 at 6:56 PM, ajm said:

diesel: You would be looking at common rail engines in case of BMW. Audi introduces common rail only after 2008 models. Until then they had the pump injectors driven by cam shaft. Not many mechanics know how to work on these, and ask where is the diesel pump(which doesn't exist)

both diesel and petrol:The afore mentioned BMW engine problems(timing chain tensioner issue and turbo vanes breaking and going to the intake) did not affect all engines and would have come up already and been fixed now if the car was affected . Second hand market is also better. But the rubber hoses(coolant, air) in the bmw engine would be developing cracks at this age. Audi is a VW inside, with cosmetic and other mods to make it more luxurious looking and feeling.

Thank you very much for the feedback. I am also little bit into e90 than b8, now again i am thinking in between e90 and e60 as both are available for the same price bracket :D