• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

I am buying proton gen2

Uranga

Hi all I am new here

I am really interested in to buy proton gen 2 car. But I heard it's difficult to find parts for gen 2. Is it true?

Also one guy told me it runs only 6, 7 kms for one liter because it has 4 cilinder engine. I really dont know about cars so pls help me

On 5/12/2019 at 11:31 PM, Uranga said:

Hi all I am new here

I am really interested in to buy proton gen 2 car. But I heard it's difficult to find parts for gen 2. Is it true?

Also one guy told me it runs only 6, 7 kms for one liter because it has 4 cilinder engine. I really dont know about cars so pls help me

OK, first thing I'm gonna tell you, never, EVER listen to that guy about car matters EVER again.

My gen 2 did around 9 in normal city. That was a 2004 1.6l automatic gearbox model. But it was a brand new car, had less than 50km on the clock when we picked it up from the agents. We liked that car so much when we got a trade in offer from the agents for the new model Personna we swapped the Gen 2 in for that, stayed Proton. Personna is still with us.

About the parts, it's possible it will be a problem, since AFAIK, there are no agents in SL now. Swedish Trading pulled the plug long ago. But if you have the contacts to get stuff from Malaysia, then it will be fine. 

Kandahar is that you? :D

6 hours ago, Pericles said:

About the parts, it's possible it will be a problem, since AFAIK, there are no agents in SL now. Swedish Trading pulled the plug long ago. But if you have the contacts to get stuff from Malaysia, then it will be fine. 

Since the gen2 was discontinued back in 2012 and no other car shares its body parts won't sourcing parts be a challenge even if one has a contact to bring down parts from Malaysia? Even the original Campro engine with no VVT which was used in the 1st gen gen2 (S4PH) has been discontinued since 2008 according to Wikipedia.

You make a good point, but when I was in KL last year, there were tons of Gen2 being used as taxi's, and I had a chat with an uber driver who was using one. I guess the used parts market is strong, so they can do lots of running as taxis, and the running stuff like oil filters are compatible with Mitsubishi stuff.
Maybe they still make parts, the demand will definitely be there in their local market. I haven't had to source anything since SWT pulled out (touch wood) so I'm not all that sure.

4 hours ago, Pericles said:

You make a good point, but when I was in KL last year, there were tons of Gen2 being used as taxi's, and I had a chat with an uber driver who was using one. I guess the used parts market is strong, so they can do lots of running as taxis, and the running stuff like oil filters are compatible with Mitsubishi stuff.
Maybe they still make parts, the demand will definitely be there in their local market. I haven't had to source anything since SWT pulled out (touch wood) so I'm not all that sure.

Yes u get quite the line up of Protons as Taxis in KL. I saw a lot of Gen2 redcabs (CNG powered) where i think the drivers converted from the old SAGAs. Even i've heard that the Gen 2 is quite a reliable car in KL. Sadly, the company is now only rebadging Hondas for state employees.