• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Corolla AE110 vs Cefiro A33

Harshac

Question

Hi all,

I am looking to buy my parents a car. My budget is 1.5 - 1.8 mil and I’ve narrowed down the options to a Corolla AE110 and Nissan Cefiro A33.

The requirements are:

1. Less breakdowns and repairs
  2. Long distance fuel economy 
  3. Comfort and safety

The car will be used for Once a week 30km round trip and the occasional long distance family trip. The car will be parked home for most of the time.

My dilemma is that I’ve read threads regarding the A33 about its very high fuel consumption, some engine issue which made someones car obsolete(apparently engines aren’t available for replacement) but there are cars with good conditions and low mileages. The corolla on the other hand is more fuel economical but hard to find a good condition car and the mileages are very high. I’ve read that cefiro’s with the neo engine has better fuel economy.

Please help me to come to a conclusion. Just need a car that my parents can use with peace of mind and less expenses (fuel and repairs)

thanks in advance

6 answers to this question

You are comparing bananas with apples.

The Corolla is an econo sedan designed to give A to BE transportation economically and in fair comfort. The Cefiro is a luxury barge focused on moderate luxury travel from A to B (the performance variants hardly made it to SL).

If fuel economy is a high concern the Cefiro is not for you. If you want a luxurious/cozy ride then the Corolla is not for you.

True, the Cefiro has been prone to issues due to local conditions, but taken care of there really isn't anything catastrophically wrong with the car. Remebmer every car has on the planet has little design niggles. The Corolla E110 might have lesser of those design niggles but that is because the E110 brings in a lot of the old tech from the E100 series Corolla and other Toyotas that are older (so Toyota had plenty of time to fix those because the tech was old).

No matter which car you buy the biggest concern ou should have is if you will be able to find a unit that is honest and in decent condition. Plenty of these cars (both models) are fixed up to look shiny for a quick sale after having lived harsh lives at two different ends of the spectrum. 

On 5/12/2019 at 10:40 PM, Harshac said:

Hi all,

I am looking to buy my parents a car. My budget is 1.5 - 1.8 mil and I’ve narrowed down the options to a Corolla AE110 and Nissan Cefiro A33.

The requirements are:

3. Comfort and safety

The car will be used for Once a week 30km round trip and the occasional long distance family trip. The car will be parked home for most of the time.

My dilemma is that I’ve read threads regarding the A33 about its very high fuel consumption, some engine issue which made someones car obsolete(apparently engines aren’t available for replacement) but there are cars with good conditions and low mileages. The corolla on the other hand is more fuel economical but hard to find a good condition car and the mileages are very high. I’ve read that cefiro’s with the neo engine has better fuel economy.

Please help me to come to a conclusion. Just need a car that my parents can use with peace of mind and less expenses (fuel and repairs)

thanks in advance

A33's , i have a faint recollection of a few bad experiences in the forum. But mind you that could be due to bad maintenance by a previous user. However, A33s can be thirsty as against Toyota's whihc is inevitable. Pls browse and see -

AE 110s are reliable work horses. The corolla nameplate always demands a premium , but if possible look at  Sprinter , Carina or Coronas of the same vintage. Its basically the same car, and shares a lot of parts with Corolla. Also you can look at the elephant back wagons / a decent L-touring which may be slightly discounted to the sedan. 

Corolla AE110 and Nissan Cefiro A33.

The requirements are:

3. Comfort and safety

You are comparing Apples and Lawulu here... the only common factor between these 2 are the price.

The AE110 WAS a reliable car which by now is hacked to death due to the mass appeal. You're going to have a tough time finding one that is in good state AND one without open books. It's a normal A-B car. 

The Cefiro is a different beast - very comfortable and has nice pickup with that 2L v6 engine. Had one in the family and it was one of the more pleasing cars to drive. If the car doesn't travel daily (like office and back trips) the additional fuel consumption will not be a big factor and you have a big comfy car for the long distance trips.  So it will cover your requirements #2 and #3

HOWEVER both cars are quite old so we really can't give a verdict on #1 - for instance our forum member @PreseaLover had a horrid experience with a cefiro this does not mean they're all bad this also does not mean the 110's are as rock solid  like they were 10 years ago. So Keep some cash aside to sort out any potential issues. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, matroska said:

You are comparing Apples and Lawulu here... the only common factor between these 2 are the price.

HOWEVER both cars are quite old so we really can't give a verdict on #1 - for instance our forum member @PreseaLover had a horrid experience with a cefiro this does not mean they're all bad this also does not mean the 110's are as rock solid  like they were 10 years ago. So Keep some cash aside to sort out any potential issues. 

Hammey... don't know from where to start :D 

Hi all,

The requirements are:

3. Comfort and safety

thanks in advance

Anyway if you are thinking that cefiro has low mileage - brother, you are wrong.. for instance if the car has 8 owners, that means at least 6 times the odo has been tampered.. and if it has 8 owners, actually it must have at least had 10 owners (counting the buyers with open papers) I bought the cefiro when it had 90K on the odo but actually it had run over 150k.. after i sold it, it was advertised again for sale in 2 weeks by a car sale and then the odo was 75k.. so in old cars, the odometer goes backwards and not forward. so if you are thinking that a 20 year old car would have anything below 150k - brother, you are still wrong. 

And you are comparing one of the top fuel hungry cars vs lowest fuel hungry cars. You know that very well too right? so knowing that why are you asking about the cefiro again? you want to know the fuel figures is it? 3-5km in city and 5 is if you are lucky. 

Either way, your parents wont have peace of mind buying a 20 year old car unless you keep aside 3,4 laks and do a full restoration and build the car up before giving it to them. 

safety wise, if it crash hard you are going to die in both cars, cuz both has only 2 airbags, unless you buy that 8 airbag version of the cefiro- you might have a chance to live. 

• Like 1

Go for a Carina. The car is a bit more comfier than the ae110 but has the same engine and pretty much bulletproof. Or you can find a Corona AT2XX series with a 1.8L engine for a much lesser price than a carina. It will be better on performance, but will not be thirsty as the Cefiro. I also have driven the Cefiro while my friend had it for around 2-3years. He also had many issues during the ownership such as the coils and some misfiring issue. He also got around 2-6kmpl but not better than that. The V6 can rev pretty hard with good torque but since the car is closer to 1.5tonnes there is not much happening. Then there is the dashboard cracking issue.Better to drive everything and check which one suits you the best.