Jump to content
  • Welcome to AutoLanka

    :action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

asier

Landcruiser Prado 2014

Recommended Posts

Hello fellow autolankans..thought of getting a prado diesel..need to get to know about the vehicle more..my choice is 2014 KDJ150 with the 1KD engine..please share your thoughts and experience diesel mileage since i want to choose between the petrol and diesel..thank you in advance 

Edited by asier
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The diesel is much more economical than the petrol.  But when comparing with the montero it does slightly less.

The 1KD diesel does around 12kmpl long distance and close to 10kmpl short distance (not in heavy traffic).

The petrol one has much more options. Duel electric leather seats with heated seats, 3rd row electric seats. 17 speaker audio system, 18"alloy wheels a optitron speedometer to name a few.

I have a UK England model one which has the best of both worlds.

Its a diesel and has all those bells and whistles of the petrol G frontier. Its also more sound insulated than the local and japan models so theres no road noice coming inside. Theres also KDSS a special traction control system which also minimizes body roll. A crowl control sysyem, 2nd start, cornering active headlights (AFS) and much more. Also the sound system is a JBL synthesis 17 speaker one puting out 1060w. Overall its much more comfortable and economical than the local models.

So if your in the hunt for a prado i suggest you go for a England UK model one. But check for undercarriage rust. Most of this issue was settled by having a good undercoarriage rustproofing. 

Edited by Clark'sson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Clark'sson said:

The diesel is much more economical than the petrol.  But when comparing with the montero it does slightly less.

The 1KD diesel does around 12kmpl long distance and close to 10kmpl short distance (not in heavy traffic).

The petrol one has much more options. Duel electric leather seats with heated seats, 3rd row electric seats. 17 speaker audio system, 18"alloy wheels a optitron speedometer to name a few.

I have a UK England model one which has the best of both worlds.

Its a diesel and has all those bells and whistles of the petrol G frontier. Its also more sound insulated than the local and japan models so theres no road noice coming inside. Theres also KDSS a special traction control system which also minimizes body roll. A crowl control sysyem, 2nd start, cornering active headlights (AFS) and much more. Also the sound system is a JBL synthesis 17 speaker one puting out 1060w. Overall its much more comfortable and economical than the local models.

So if your in the hunt for a prado i suggest you go for a England UK model one. But check for undercarriage rust. Most of this issue was settled by having a good undercoarriage rustproofing. 

thank you for your input..Well the diesels which i came across were imported under permits and lacks most of the options..due to the heavy taxes on diesels they tend to come with far less options than the petrol i suppose ..budget is limited to around 16M..the onece ive looked had no factory fitted head units all had aftermarket units they all had the basic sound systems didnt hv a luxurious touch ..but the diesel is more powerfull and economical i think the sound of the turbo gives goosebumps 😋..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can get a 2011 - 2012 well looked after low millage diesel UK model one with all the bells and whistles for that price.

Most of the England models i checked out were well looled after and had descent and reliable millages while the local models had been run a lot (rented out etc ) and had unacceptable millages or high ones most of them.

So in my resent hunt i decided to go for a 2011 well looked after UK model LC4 for around your budget and im loving every bit of it.

And yes the diesel torque in this is really impressive and due to it being vgt it delivers enough grunt at lower RPMs

Edited by Clark'sson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/4/2019 at 1:30 PM, ajm said:

That German V6 diesel must be a hellava fun to drive!

The Amrok is quite popular in South Africa and a few are around in Malawi. The thing looks as stylish as a shoebox with a newspaper strip as a ribbon but it feels like a solid brick and moves like a rhino on steroids....

EDIT NOTE : FYI....Rhinos are fast ! When they want to move and decide to do so...it just moves and flattens anything that is in its way....Rhinos in heat are even more faster and more violent....

Edited by iRage
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/9/2019 at 7:14 PM, asier said:

Hello fellow autolankans..thought of getting a prado diesel..need to get to know about the vehicle more..my choice is 2014 KDJ150 with the 1KD engine..please share your thoughts and experience diesel mileage since i want to choose between the petrol and diesel..thank you in advance 

go for patrol 2.7 l tx/txl models 

diesel one fuel economy 11 km/l

patrol one fuel consumption 9 km/l

if you comparing with reliability and maintaining cost definitely patrol one more better

in sl we cant find good quality diesel so engine  waisting more than expectations.(even supper diesel not in best level)

supper diesel cost is very close to the patrol price

diesel engine less reliable than patrol one

diesel vehicle have more maintenance costs compare with patrol

diesel engine r highly noisy compare with patrol model.(if you looking for family vehicle that noise is annoying)

if you r go for diesel models in sl u have go for low grade models.(even that doesn’t have basic autolight function)if u can efforts for LC5 prado/TZG models its ok otherwise no point .if ur choice just because of fuel economy, overall comparing with maintenance and fuel economy both together patrol is more better, 

if u go for patrol model try to find 6 forward one.

Edited by dtrum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/4/2019 at 11:47 AM, kush said:

Interesting

 

don’t compare legend with most unreliable vehicles.y this youtuber choice 2.8 l diesel model with low hp, y not try with lexus gx460 v8 model . or 4 L prado? 

land cruiser is the most reliable suv ever made in this planet.they r try to destroy that name.

but legend is legend 😆 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/4/2019 at 12:00 PM, ajm said:

That German V6 diesel must be a hellava fun to drive!

yeah definitely agreed with u ,fun to drive 

but my friend life is very short ,

very difficult to find 10/20 years old vehicles on road.they r money picking machines.

but 30/25 years old japanese vehicles still on the road .some r still daily driving vehicles.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, dtrum said:

don’t compare legend with most unreliable vehicles.y this youtuber choice 2.8 l diesel model with low hp, y not try with lexus gx460 v8 model . or 4 L prado? 

land cruiser is the most reliable suv ever made in this planet.they r try to destroy that name.

but legend is legend 😆 

 

Actually it is the most powerful diesel "Prado" available 1GD-FTV with 175 bhp, 450Nm better than the 1KD-FTV 170 bhp, 330 Nm you get here.

Race is about performance not reliability, and cars on similar price range.

But I too agree better comparison would have been 2.0 L Amarok

Lexus GX 460 is a pointless car there are better options for anyone with that kind of money

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kush said:

Actually it is the most powerful diesel "Prado" available 1GD-FTV with 175 bhp, 450Nm better than the 1KD-FTV 170 bhp, 330 Nm you get here.

Race is about performance not reliability, and cars on similar price range.

But I too agree better comparison would have been 2.0 L Amarok

Lexus GX 460 is a pointless car there are better options for anyone with that kind of money

 

if you r looking for performance of any vehicle you have to compare with same hp range engines.

here

land rover 240hp

jeep-200hp

amarok-258hp

prado-177hp

here everyone can understand what this guy looking for

i can agree if this guy get 4L prado which has 276hp, 

yeah lexus gx 460 is more expensive than these vehicles because of reliability,

gx 460 has been selected for most reliable vehicle of 2018

even you compare with options wise gx 460 has more options than these vehicles 

Edited by dtrum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys OP here ..after all evaluations brought down a 2018 X5 25D with a 2L B47 deisel from UK ...Has 230 horses under the hood..resale and maintenance apart can dwarf a prado on the tarmac 😬

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, asier said:

Guys OP here ..after all evaluations brought down a 2018 X5 25D with a 2L B47 deisel from UK ...Has 230 horses under the hood..resale and maintenance apart can dwarf a prado on the tarmac 😬

And just on tarmac

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dtrum said:

here everyone can understand what this guy looking for

i can agree if this guy get 4L prado which has 276hp, 

yeah lexus gx 460 is more expensive than these vehicles because of reliability,

gx 460 has been selected for most reliable vehicle of 2018

even you compare with options wise gx 460 has more options than these vehicles 

Actually I do not think you understand what you are talking about. In the UK you do not officially get the Lexus GX460. The UK has not had a Lexus GX460 since 2010. Most grey imports to the UK come from Japan, where they do not have the Lexus GX460. Niether does Australia....so...you are proposing he use a car he cannot get.

Secondly..no..the Lexus GX460 is not expensive because of reliability.  Reliability wise it is the same as the Land Cruiser Prado. It is expensive because of all the bells and whistles you get in the form of extra sound deadening, the fancy electronic suspension, etc...where the core of the car is concerned the Lexus GX460 has the same reliability as the Prado. In fact many enthusiasts claim that the GX460 is less reliable than the Prado because of all the fancy electronic gimmicks. Those who buy second hand/old GX cars simply rip out the fancy electronic stuff and stick standard Land Cruiser replacement parts.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, iRage said:

Actually I do not think you understand what you are talking about. In the UK you do not officially get the Lexus GX460. The UK has not had a Lexus GX460 since 2010. Most grey imports to the UK come from Japan, where they do not have the Lexus GX460. Niether does Australia....so...you are proposing he use a car he cannot get.

Secondly..no..the Lexus GX460 is not expensive because of reliability.  Reliability wise it is the same as the Land Cruiser Prado. It is expensive because of all the bells and whistles you get in the form of extra sound deadening, the fancy electronic suspension, etc...where the core of the car is concerned the Lexus GX460 has the same reliability as the Prado. In fact many enthusiasts claim that the GX460 is less reliable than the Prado because of all the fancy electronic gimmicks. Those who buy second hand/old GX cars simply rip out the fancy electronic stuff and stick standard Land Cruiser replacement parts.

i think u didn’t get what i said 

i didn’t mention about specific country,

i told about the if someone need to compare performance of vehicles they have to get same range performance vehicle, otherwise its not fair.

yeah lexus gx460 = prado 150(technically same vehicle )

reliability also same 

lexus gx460 selected for most reliable vehicle of   2018

 https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/most-reliable-cars-of-2018-consumer-reports-2018-10

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Toyota 2.8L produces only 170hp and 450NM while the VW with 3L  provides 260HP and 580NM? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, vag2 said:

The Toyota 2.8L produces only 170hp and 450NM while the VW with 3L  provides 260HP and 580NM? 

toyota one 4 cylinder 

volkswagen one 6 cylinder 

 

gx460 has v8 engine with 301 hp,

prado 150 4l has  v6 engine with 276 hp

but unfortunately this guy using lowest power version of prado

 

Edited by dtrum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They were comparing the diesels so any petrol driven would have been out of place.

Off road things would have been reversed but sadly in UK "Prado" is mostly used by soccer moms for the school run most off roading they do is go over curb or get in to the ground.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, kush said:

They were comparing the diesels so any petrol driven would have been out of place.

Off road things would have been reversed but sadly in UK "Prado" is mostly used by soccer moms for the school run most off roading they do is go over curb or get in to the ground.

 

 

diesel or patrol or hybrid or electric r just different types of fuel 

but if someone really want to compare vehicles performance they have to get same range vehicle ,specially land cruisers r design for off roading not for racing,

land rover 240hp

jeep-200hp

amarok-258hp

 prado-177hp

without drag racing we can say who is going win

if uk doesn’t available same power vehicle better to not doing this kind of test,otherwise its not fair for one side,

other thing diesel prado r mainly focusing for off-roading and reliability engine,according to my knowledge that’s y toyota engine has long lifetime.

 

Edited by dtrum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you take the Amarok out it becomes a fair comparison as they are all SUVs with good off road credentials available to purchase in the UK

Sadly it does not change much for the "Prado"

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, dtrum said:

i think u didn’t get what i said 

i didn’t mention about specific country,

i told about the if someone need to compare performance of vehicles they have to get same range performance vehicle, otherwise its not fair.

yeah lexus gx460 = prado 150(technically same vehicle )

reliability also same 

lexus gx460 selected for most reliable vehicle of   2018

 https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/most-reliable-cars-of-2018-consumer-reports-2018-10

 

 

Okay...but the test was just a comparison of average day to day popular SUVs.....like Kush mentioned the only odd one out is the Amarok..and even with that taken out the Prado loses out.

Yes the Land Cruisers are more about rugged reliability...which is why the core tech really does not change for decades....

As for your reliability ratings....you have to take those in with a grain of salt followed by a sack full of it. The reliability ratings are determined by the number of service calls (actual calls not just visits) that the dealerships get. So even if a customer calls to ask how to set the radio channel or where to find the 8-track player in his brand new GX460, it gets counted as a service call which goes as a negative to reliability ratings. Even if the car is taken to the dealership to get something simple looked at...it goes as a negative point for the reliability ratings (yes..they do not filter the actual reason for the call in most reliability ratings). So it does not really show the true reliability factor of a car.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, kush said:

If you take the Amarok out it becomes a fair comparison as they are all SUVs with good off road credentials available to purchase in the UK

Sadly it does not change much for the "Prado"

 

ok will take land rover come to second 

its has 240hp

prado has 177hp

do u want to drag race know who is going to win? 😆 

and toyota more focusing about reliability,not performance thats y its has long life even srilanka we can find good quality 1988 prado with daily running condition,but very difficult to find year 2000 land rover discovery without issue,thats the successful behind the toyota.thats y its becoming most richest automobile manufacture in the world.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, dtrum said:

prado 150 4l has  v6 engine with 276 hp

exactly, so its not suitable for this test with 2.2L¬3L common engines.

But only 276HP, really?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register for a new account in our community. It's easy and FREE!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×