• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Montero Sport 2008

Hi All

First of all sorry for repost already discussed topic. Since I'm very new to this type of SUV I may need the latest and as much as Info I can get.

I'm planning to buy this Mitsubishi Montero sport 2007 - 2008 Diesel Manual model, somewhere near the end of this year. The two main reason I would go for it

• 1. power  and easily repairable  engine
  • 2. Look

yes, Look. !! I hate the way that 2011 - 2012 montero sport looks on l200 animal chaises, like Ibba. I need the rugged boxy look of the old one (or old old ). according to many of the posts in this forum, what I get is ride is not that comfortable and have some body-roll issue. But no one mentioned about the durability of the vehicle. I would thankful if anyone can post good long term review about this vehicle durability or point me to such review.  

Since this is somewhat old I know  I'm buying some level of headache. but I want to get an idea, how often and what level of maintenance may need to do with this. especially after 10 years of life

Previously I was looking for CRV 2013 or CHR 2018 / Vezel RS since they are new. but looks toy to me both from power and outer look.

And I would thankful if someone can post all the models of this with model numbers or names  ( including petrol )

Thanks

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, rafalefighter said:

Hi All

First of all sorry for repost already discussed topic. Since I'm very new to this type of SUV I may need the latest and as much as Info I can get.

I'm planning to buy this Mitsubishi Montero sport 2007 - 2008 Diesel Manual model, somewhere near the end of this year. The two main reason I would go for it

• 1. power  and easily repairable  engine
  • 2. Look

yes, Look. !! I hate the way that 2011 - 2012 montero sport looks on l200 animal chaises, like Ibba. I need the rugged boxy look of the old one (or old old ). according to many of the posts in this forum, what I get is ride is not that comfortable and have some body-roll issue. But no one mentioned about the durability of the vehicle. I would thankful if anyone can post good long term review about this vehicle durability or point me to such review.  

Since this is somewhat old I know  I'm buying some level of headache. but I want to get an idea, how often and what level of maintenance may need to do with this. especially after 10 years of life

Previously I was looking for CRV 2013 or CHR 2018 / Vezel RS since they are new. but looks toy to me both from power and outer look.

And I would thankful if someone can post all the models of this with model numbers or names  ( including petrol )

Thanks

It’s a very hardy vehicle, look for something around 150000km, nothing further

the low market is because they are manual, they don’t have the super select system and not that comfortable, rear brakes are disks in comparison to the newer model, with drums. Bit cramped inside for a SUV and mind you these are also modeled after the 2006 era L200 Trojan, front seating and dashboard feels just like a 90s double cab. My in-laws have one from new and the only repairs they’ve done is 

replaced turbo at 40000km, premature why, no clue why 

Timing belt, suspension is badly worn on theirs so Need a complete replacement. Looking at around 45000 for shocks

30000 for coils and bushes.

They are slow, but very hardy lumps and quite good off road. You ll easily find a good one as plenty in Colombo that have never seen mud, 

Corrosion’s are common behind the rear wheel arches so look into that.

body panels are extremely rare, so avoid ones with poor body condition 

mechanicals and running gear - ample in spares stocks at stores and agents.

It’s powered with a mechanical pump 4d56t so needs no super diesel. 

Interior plastics are poorly made so expect gauge clusters to have crazing and cracks, yellowish plastics etc. speaker grills are also poorly made, shatter very easy 

cloth seats with very 90s styling, expect them to be worn out so u  may need to refinish them.

all in all very good choice in comparison to the oversized hatchbacks and wannabe suvs in the current day and age. 

An awesome vehicle to modify and has a good road presence. Your only problem will be it being slow.

Cheers!

Edited by tiv

Plenty for normal use, don’t expect it to pull like a 1kz 1kd prado or a 4m41 montero, or even the 2012 montero sports, or the UK double cabs that came in. It pulls more or less like a old pajero or a 2000s van, once the turbo spools up there is a minor pickup. 

Most suvs that came in to this country feel underpowered, even the petrol ones, other than the LC V8, 12ht LC troopies , Porsche’s and Nissan Patrols with gasoline engines, also partly due to the size and boat like lumbering feel, which these newer ones don’t have. 

another contribution is people now drive nippy cvt kei cars which are very rev happy and shoot off the line till like 40kmph, their front wheel drivetrain and small size make the larger conventional cars seem slower.

Since they are all manual and parts are cheap, you can restore an engine to near new state and being manual you can rev the nuts off it. 

Just drive one and you ll realize, hard to explain , i’d say go for it, there’s no way you can go wrong other than having a lower resale market. But once the newer toys start breaking off older conventional  suvs will pickup in value, it’s happening all over the world

Edited by tiv

Yes the montero sport is an excellent choice at that price point.

The pickup is ok for an indirect injection engine.

But as tiv mentioned domt expect 1KD or 4M41 performance. And actually it has the 4d56 out of the palathsaba pajero turbo wagon. So it will perform just like that. The engine is durable.

And like the new montero sport its based on the L200 of its days ofcorse but has rear indipendent suspension unlike the cab.

Anyways its a much better (a million times better choice tjan vessels , chr, crv those cross overs and wannabe suvs). Probably its one of the cheapest offroaders awailable at the moment.

Comfort is ok but the vehicle shows its age. Its actually a 90s model with 90s styling and equipment. But again its a million times better than those others 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I drive a M.sport 2008 since 2010 and I'm really in love with the car. Not using as my daily but using it in weekends for long travels. Comfort is not 100% i must say. but gentle enough for long trips. 

Off road capability is also pretty good. 

Highly recommend the vehicle. 

• Like 1