• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Prius 3rd gen (30 ) 2012 ABS

Grid

Question

Advice needed, my car's abs system is currently in need of a abs system replacement and I have found one at a reasonable price with a warranty, the only problem is it appears to be of a different Prius model ( 3rd gen but not 30 model) the mechanic said they would reprogram the abs system to match the car model. Is this a relaible fix? 

6 answers to this question

19 hours ago, Grid said:

Advice needed, my car's abs system is currently in need of a abs system replacement and I have found one at a reasonable price with a warranty, the only problem is it appears to be of a different Prius model ( 3rd gen but not 30 model) the mechanic said they would reprogram the abs system to match the car model. Is this a relaible fix? 

What do you mean 3rd Gen but not 30 ? The 3rd generation is the 30 series...there is no other series number designation for the 3rd generation. If it is W40 then it is from a Prius Alpha, if its W35 then its from a Prius PHEV and the parts shop just tagged it as Prius (the Prius alpha does not have 3 generations, its just that most of the car is based on the 3rd gen Prius).

In case it is the Prius Alpha/PHEV then the system is pretty much the same as the Prius W30. So it would just be a matter of calibration (?). If it is a 20 series system (the 2nd gen 20 series was sold along with the 3rd gen 30 series as fleet/business models for a few years) then it might not work or would require some "bypass" work by our homegrown geniuses to make it work (where the success might be really good and long term or hokey and very short lived).

The 3rd gen had ABS with EBD and VSC/TRC integrated. EBD distributed brake force to the wheels depending on vehicle weight, momentum,  vehicle yaw, etc...in order to brake effectively (and has ECB built in). The system was also integrated/built-in with the VSC/TRC, as these were made available in the entire Prius range.

The 2nd generation had a different and a system with less features. The 2nd generation only came with ABS with ECB and optional VSC.  So you got the ABS with ECB braking system and then a separate VSC system that were linked to each other. This was because VSC was available only in some grades. ECB is not the same as EBD. What ECB does is depending on the vehicle speed and pedal pressure in regulates the braking intensity to stop optimally (note there isn't a brake force distribution). So if you step on the pedal with pressure X at speed A the brake force applied will be different than pedal pressure X applied at speed B (ECB is just a fancy abbreviation for what every brake-by-wire/electronic braking system does). Because of the two separate system the W20 Prius has a whole lot more sensors and regulators that the 30 series does NOT have..and the 30 series requires inputs from vectors that the 20 series does not necessarily have. So..yeah....to get the older system to work with the newer car would mean playing a bit of a bypass game.

3 hours ago, Davy said:

I'd like to know the reason for opting to replace the ABS unit in the first place. What's the issue? Was a scan done and error codes revealed?

what I am curious is what is the ABS unit ? The modulator ? The sensors ? or the entire system ?

On 5/7/2019 at 12:55 PM, Grid said:

is it appears to be of a different Prius model ( 3rd gen but not 30 model) the mechanic

Are you sure Prius car came with ABS? Usually taxi model vehicles come with less options. Because one of my friend told me that due to cost cutting some of the taxi models they put less options. Just double check....???

17 hours ago, iRage said:

what I am curious is what is the ABS unit ? The modulator ? The sensors ? or the entire system ?

Usually refers to the modulator, but you never know what our local johnnies mean. ?