• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

BMW 520d

knightowl

There seems to lot of BMW520d cars for sale these days which are about  4 to 5yrs old. Do they cause lot of problems after 5yrs so the owners are getting rid of them or is it due to the new permit? Just wondering. Of course when I ask the owners they say they are wonderful cars with no trouble at all. But I wonder the reliability of a diesel BMW after 5 years. Would one fall in to a 'sdhahatama oba mage' situation if you buy one? 

I think there is a market for these car's so you won't be stuck with it forever.

The key thing is to get it inspected by Prestige or a reliable inspection company to get an idea of faults you need to rectify.

Known issues include premature engine wear due to low quality diesel used (these engines need low sulphur diesel, which is marketed as Euro 4 diesel), suspension and steering problems due to being used in rough roads.

Also check if the cars have run flats and how much of the tyre is left as run flats are fairly expensive to buy in SL. Some cars didn't come with run flats but the repair kit and tyre inflater. 

It is not a cheap car to run although fuel economy is pretty good.

Engine is suppose to be one of the best BMW came up with as told by a guy who knows about BMWs

Apparently there are vehicles clocked over 250K km with out trouble.

Proper maintenance records must, preferably through agent.

yes there are quite a lot of bmw 520d (F10)'s out there but then finding one which has been used with proper care and maintenance is quite difficult. i myself has been head-hunting for one for the past four months and it turned out to be quite a difficult task.

First the pricing of these doesn't make much sense as I've seen ones that where made in 2012 with around 60k mileage asking as low as 7.2 mln where as a 2013 which has three additional options such as power curtain, retractable mirror and so on, with similar mileage ask for more than 9.0 mln. ( just for 1 year difference in YoM and 3 options the difference is more that 2 Mln which is ridiculous actually)

So yes the cars that are more than 5 years old would probably be sold on and would be with the third or fourth owner. So the company maintenance claim is in jeopardy. Also there are ones which are up for sale in car sales which i recommend is best avoided as these car sale scoundrels buy them from auctions in which the previous owner couldn't pay his lease so you can imagine the state of the car and do a detailing job to get the car to a gleaming condition while hiding all the underlying problems and ask for a slightly lower market price. I have my own personal experience in which 2015 bmw 520d i inspected at one of the auctions which was badly maintained with ribs appearing from the tyres which was subsequently bought and later found it on sale with tyres changed and detailing done. this was also sold close to near market value, so i feel sorry for the poor soul who bought this. Car sales are such a mafia, so try to buy one which is single owner and maintained by agents.

Also keep in mind that these are cars that you cannot expect a return of investment like the srilankan people's cars such as axio, allion, premios and so on.

Also i would need some expert clarification here, could the mileage be adjusted? as ive seen some cars with low miles but worn interiors and owners saying that they do not service the vehicle through the agents due to exuberant prices and popular myths plus they say that previous emission reports are missing as well so it is a blunder to buy a car like that because keep in mind that this is not a toyota which could be transformed with some basic TLC, repairing these kinds of abused bmws are going to be wallet busting.

another matter is that since these are bmws the owner or specially their sons seem to give the car a run for the money so some cars that we are looking at may be given some harsh abuse. so overall yes there are quite a few cars out there currently but finding a proper one is a headache and mind you this is not a walk in the park decision.

10 hours ago, top tip said:

yes there are quite a lot of bmw 520d (F10)'s out there but then finding one which has been used with proper care and maintenance is quite difficult. i myself has been head-hunting for one for the past four months and it turned out to be quite a difficult task.

First the pricing of these doesn't make much sense as I've seen ones that where made in 2012 with around 60k mileage asking as low as 7.2 mln where as a 2013 which has three additional options such as power curtain, retractable mirror and so on, with similar mileage ask for more than 9.0 mln. ( just for 1 year difference in YoM and 3 options the difference is more that 2 Mln which is ridiculous actually)

So yes the cars that are more than 5 years old would probably be sold on and would be with the third or fourth owner. So the company maintenance claim is in jeopardy. Also there are ones which are up for sale in car sales which i recommend is best avoided as these car sale scoundrels buy them from auctions in which the previous owner couldn't pay his lease so you can imagine the state of the car and do a detailing job to get the car to a gleaming condition while hiding all the underlying problems and ask for a slightly lower market price. I have my own personal experience in which 2015 bmw 520d i inspected at one of the auctions which was badly maintained with ribs appearing from the tyres which was subsequently bought and later found it on sale with tyres changed and detailing done. this was also sold close to near market value, so i feel sorry for the poor soul who bought this. Car sales are such a mafia, so try to buy one which is single owner and maintained by agents.

Also keep in mind that these are cars that you cannot expect a return of investment like the srilankan people's cars such as axio, allion, premios and so on.

Also i would need some expert clarification here, could the mileage be adjusted? as ive seen some cars with low miles but worn interiors and owners saying that they do not service the vehicle through the agents due to exuberant prices and popular myths plus they say that previous emission reports are missing as well so it is a blunder to buy a car like that because keep in mind that this is not a toyota which could be transformed with some basic TLC, repairing these kinds of abused bmws are going to be wallet busting.

another matter is that since these are bmws the owner or specially their sons seem to give the car a run for the money so some cars that we are looking at may be given some harsh abuse. so overall yes there are quite a few cars out there currently but finding a proper one is a headache and mind you this is not a walk in the park decision.

Expect to pay a premium for company imported and maintained car with proper records usually around 1-1.5 Mn.

On the other hand you could get a real bargain on a not so so car taking a risk, but you need to have the knowledge and the resources to recondition which could be done at at fraction of the cost with used/ new/ recon parts imported from UK, USA etc.

My advise 1st option

Engine,Gearbox may be very robust,almost unbreakable.

But expect to pay a hefty amount for the Shocks/Control arms/mounts which would have taken a beating under our road conditions and need to be replaced at this age.