• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

How to drive a 61- Land Cruiser with a dual purpose license?

Zinger

Dear Experts,

Is there a way to drive my dad's 61- Land Cruiser (which falls under the motor coach category) using a dual purpose license? Do I have to get the number converted, or get a bus license? All of these options seem really unnecessary or expensive... is there another alternative for this? If not, what option would you suggest for me, and what's the process like? 

Thank you so much! I appreciate your feedback.

44 minutes ago, Zinger said:

Dear Experts,

Is there a way to drive my dad's 61- Land Cruiser (which falls under the motor coach category) using a dual purpose license? Do I have to get the number converted, or get a bus license? All of these options seem really unnecessary or expensive... is there another alternative for this? If not, what option would you suggest for me, and what's the process like? 

Thank you so much! I appreciate your feedback.

The double cabs that came under L* numbers are commonly converted to dual purpose through dmt, no change in number 

Just a change in the CR category , maybe the same procedure applies to you, better go inquire from them

They charge you though 

• 8 months later...
1 hour ago, Zinger said:

Thanks @tiv for your input, is there like a permit or something I could get just for the LC? I really cant be arsed applying for a bus license, apparently you need to go through an extensive health check for it. Any other suggestions guys? 

The double cabs that came under L* numbers are commonly converted to dual purpose through dmt, no change in number 

Just a change in the CR category , maybe the same procedure applies to you, better go inquire from them

They charge you though 

The revenue license category changes post conversion. 
Check with Dmt on this procedure 

On 4/14/2019 at 7:47 PM, tiv said:

Just a change in the CR category , maybe the same procedure applies to you, better go inquire from them

They charge you though 

Correct me if I’m wrong, some SUVs were registered as motor coach because of their seating capacity exceeding 7 seats. Hence I don’t know if the procedure would be simple as it is for single cabs which were identical from one another.

• Like 1

Get a bus license, sell the vehicle and get another which you can drive with your current license.

Talk your way out with the cop (which I have done several times with a similar vehicle owned by a friend, baba method not aggressive)

Do not recommend you drive as you can end up with a huge pile of s**t if you meet with an accident. (Courts/ huge fines for you and your father/ no insurance)

• Like 1

On 12/28/2019 at 3:48 AM, Magnum said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, some SUVs were registered as motor coach because of their seating capacity exceeding 7 seats. Hence I don’t know if the procedure would be simple as it is for single cabs which were identical from one another.

Valid point @Magnum

The vehicle in question needs to be converted from a Motor Coach to a Motor Car / Dual Purpose.

The RMV will ask that the 3rd row seats are removed in order to bring the seat count down.

This requires a physical inspection at the RMV at which time the vehicle wkll be weighed. Be prepared for the RMV to ask that the entire vehicle be "restored" or returned to stock specification in the off chance it is not currently in stock guise - that includes things like additional fog lamps, big wheels etc etc

The cost is LKR 250,000 or there about if I'm not mistaken.