• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota corolla 141 2008 Engine tuning up

Sanji1

Hi, 

Fist of all i am new to this forum. So thanks for reading this. I have a corolla 141 2008 which only done 30,000 km for all 11 years. I have heard about engine tuneup recently (which i have no idea about) and not sure about it. Please explain some one know about this and is it necessary for this mileage.

Thanks!

Sanji

Edited by Sanji1

Hi. 

"Tune-up" and "EFI tuning" are just fancy terms. Its the process of cleaning or replacing following list of items.

1. Air filter / Mass air flow sensor

2. Throttle body

3. IAC Valve

4. Spark plugs

5. Fuel injectors 

Tune-up may be required if you're experiencing following problems with your car

1. Unusual emission test results

2. Decrease in fuel in economy

3. Rough idle

5. Loss of power / Engine misfire

Basically if you feel there is nothing wrong with the vehicle do not bother about doing a "Tune-up". Just do the regular service and you should be fine.

Edited by shan_dissanayake
  • Like 1

We have one of early 141 2007 which has done 67K, you need to change the spark plugs at 40K if i remember correct.

Your owners manual should give frequency for routine/ preventive maintainance

If the engine is running smoothly and not loss of power or economy don't bother

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Sanji1 said:

Hi, 

Fist of all i am new to this forum. So thanks for reading this. I have a corolla 141 2008 which only done 30,000 km for all 11 years. I have heard about engine tuneup recently (which i have no idea about) and not sure about it. Please explain some one know about this and is it necessary for this mileage.

Thanks!

Sanji

Hi, any particular areas needing attention in the engine? eg:fuel economy.

start with the air filter - replace it, check the spark plugs. - replace if needed,..

• Like 1

On 4/10/2019 at 12:36 PM, Sanji1 said:

Hi, 

Thanks!

Sanji

Ranji,

Do you experience any problem with the car currently? If not, don't go for any tuneup. Usually the newer model cars ECU auto adjusts and do not need explicit tuneups like old gen cars. In Sri Lanka, some people are cheating by promoting periodic engine tuneups for new cars. I know a fat person who was cheating people by his nice big lectures without any proper automobile knowledge and putting a sticker on the back of vehicles down Nawala Road previously....:). That person is capable of ripping people by his deceitful smile and luring people by his false marketing lies....:). Beware of those kind of people.

Cheers...

• Like 1

I own an Axio 141 (2007) with a 135,000km. So here are some of my knowledge on engine tune up which I've learnt on YouTube & forums along with the experience on my car.

Tune up is a maintenance to make the car run RIGHT. Which is to increase performance, fuel efficiency & to reduce future repairs. 

1. Changing engine oil. Change ur engine oil every 5,000 to 6,000 km. Always remeber engine oil is cheap but engine repairs are very expensive. I use 'Mobil 2000, semi synthetic 5W30' apprx 3.3 litres. I buy oils & filters at Panchikawatta (Mobil 2000 oil 1L 1200/=, VIC oil filter 1,000, toyota air filter 3,500 & cabin air filter 1,000) and i change it at a service centre for just 500/=. This way i save around 3,000 to 5,000 if i had it done at a service centre. 

2. Oil additives. I've added Liqui Moly 'Ceratec' to my engine on my last oil change after lots of research on YouTube & reviews so i used abt 3.1 litres of 5W30 + 190ml of ceratec. I was pretty happy & satisfied with the results. Engine started to run alot smoother & quiter (less vibration even when starting a cold engine, quite idle plus my fuel economy has improved). This costs 3,600 yet its a long term investment which its effects might last upto another 3 or 4 oil changes. I highly recommend. 

3. Filters. Its very important to change ur filters at the right intravels for optimal performance. Use OEM filters. Dont buy cheap oil & air filters to save money. Change ur oil filter on every oil change intravel and ur air filters if their dirty. Cz clean air filters helps to breathe clean uninterrupted air to the engine in return it gives performance & good fuel economy. Next is ur cabin air filter. Its very cheap so that u can change it at every oil change intravels for a cleaner A/C. 

4. Throttle body & MAF sensor. This is a very simple DIY maintenance to improve cars fuel efficiency, performance & engine tune though many forgets. Just buy a Throttle body cleaner spray and a MAFS cleaner/Contact cleaner would cost 2,500 for both or less. There are plenty of videos on YouTube so plz refer before starting. Do the cleaning on every oil change intravels for keep ur car at its optimal performance. Trust me it will make a great improvement. 

5. Fuel system. I've had very good experience of using Liqui Moly Injection cleaner (900/=)  poured directly in to the fuel tank. Had noticeable changes in throttle response & a smoother idle with increase in fuel economy along with internally it helps to clean fuel injectors & more (I've used it before i add the ceratec so i know it made a difference, hence now with ceratec i see the same differances without it so i knw ceratec works good too! But to clean ur fuel system this cleaner would definitely helps). I suggest it to use it on ur every oil change or as the company suggests to use every 2,000km. But all i can say is that it works!

6. Spark plugs. Just check ur spark plugs at a service centre. Usually they lasts from 50k to 100k km depending on the driving conditions. So change them if needed. It only cost around 2,000 per spark plug. Hense bad spark plug means poor performance & bad fuel consumption. I changed & the results were just amazing. 

7. Others. Good tyres. Tyre pressure. Coolant. Wheel alignment. 

Hope these would help.

Good luck

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2019 at 1:29 PM, Praveen_Auto said:

Great post. A must read. Thanks.

Any material advantage of using this ?

Thanks Praveen.

As far as advantages the product claims it will reduce friction & wear thus helping for a smoother engine performance. 

In my car, yes it had made a positive feedback & am satisfied with my investment. I might not need to be using any oil additives for another year or so ( you may read abt ceratec on their website as well as its review).

• 2 months later...
On 4/12/2019 at 12:19 PM, tilvin said:

Ranji,

Do you experience any problem with the car currently? If not, don't go for any tuneup. Usually the newer model cars ECU auto adjusts and do not need explicit tuneups like old gen cars. In Sri Lanka, some people are cheating by promoting periodic engine tuneups for new cars. I know a fat person who was cheating people by his nice big lectures without any proper automobile knowledge and putting a sticker on the back of vehicles down Nawala Road previously....:). That person is capable of ripping people by his deceitful smile and luring people by his false marketing lies....:). Beware of those kind of people.

Cheers...

Thanks a lot for the information. 

On 4/10/2019 at 10:11 PM, shan_dissanayake said:

Hi. 

"Tune-up" and "EFI tuning" are just fancy terms. Its the process of cleaning or replacing following list of items.

1. Air filter / Mass air flow sensor

2. Throttle body

3. IAC Valve

4. Spark plugs

5. Fuel injectors 

Tune-up may be required if you're experiencing following problems with your car

1. Unusual emission test results

2. Decrease in fuel in economy

3. Rough idle

5. Loss of power / Engine misfire

Basically if you feel there is nothing wrong with the vehicle do not bother about doing a "Tune-up". Just do the regular service and you should be fine.

Thanks for the detailed update.

3 hours ago, Sanji1 said:

Thanks for the detailed update.

Just so you know..when he says do not bother if you feel nothing wrong is not entirely accurate.

Depending on the mileage of the car you would want to do some pre-emptive maintenance which will include those things; which means do not think that those items should only be done if something feels wrong.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, iRage said:

Just so you know..when he says do not bother if you feel nothing wrong is not entirely accurate.

Depending on the mileage of the car you would want to do some pre-emptive maintenance which will include those things; which means do not think that those items should only be done if something feels wrong.

Yes. Agree with you. For my car its only 30K KM done up to now.

1 hour ago, Sanji1 said:

Yes. Agree with you. For my car its only 30K KM done up to now.

For most Toyotas things like spark plug changes, throttle body clean-ups, etc...are in the 40k- 45k km maintenance schedules for normal usage conditions. For harsh usage conditions it is a little bit lower....

• 1 month later...
On 4/14/2019 at 9:52 AM, M.ASHIK said:

I own an Axio 141 (2007) with a 135,000km. So here are some of my knowledge on engine tune up which I've learnt on YouTube & forums along with the experience on my car.

Tune up is a maintenance to make the car run RIGHT. Which is to increase performance, fuel efficiency & to reduce future repairs. 

1. Changing engine oil. Change ur engine oil every 5,000 to 6,000 km. Always remeber engine oil is cheap but engine repairs are very expensive. I use 'Mobil 2000, semi synthetic 5W30' apprx 3.3 litres. I buy oils & filters at Panchikawatta (Mobil 2000 oil 1L 1200/=, VIC oil filter 1,000, toyota air filter 3,500 & cabin air filter 1,000) and i change it at a service centre for just 500/=. This way i save around 3,000 to 5,000 if i had it done at a service centre. 

2. Oil additives. I've added Liqui Moly 'Ceratec' to my engine on my last oil change after lots of research on YouTube & reviews so i used abt 3.1 litres of 5W30 + 190ml of ceratec. I was pretty happy & satisfied with the results. Engine started to run alot smoother & quiter (less vibration even when starting a cold engine, quite idle plus my fuel economy has improved). This costs 3,600 yet its a long term investment which its effects might last upto another 3 or 4 oil changes. I highly recommend. 

3. Filters. Its very important to change ur filters at the right intravels for optimal performance. Use OEM filters. Dont buy cheap oil & air filters to save money. Change ur oil filter on every oil change intravel and ur air filters if their dirty. Cz clean air filters helps to breathe clean uninterrupted air to the engine in return it gives performance & good fuel economy. Next is ur cabin air filter. Its very cheap so that u can change it at every oil change intravels for a cleaner A/C. 

4. Throttle body & MAF sensor. This is a very simple DIY maintenance to improve cars fuel efficiency, performance & engine tune though many forgets. Just buy a Throttle body cleaner spray and a MAFS cleaner/Contact cleaner would cost 2,500 for both or less. There are plenty of videos on YouTube so plz refer before starting. Do the cleaning on every oil change intravels for keep ur car at its optimal performance. Trust me it will make a great improvement. 

5. Fuel system. I've had very good experience of using Liqui Moly Injection cleaner (900/=)  poured directly in to the fuel tank. Had noticeable changes in throttle response & a smoother idle with increase in fuel economy along with internally it helps to clean fuel injectors & more (I've used it before i add the ceratec so i know it made a difference, hence now with ceratec i see the same differances without it so i knw ceratec works good too! But to clean ur fuel system this cleaner would definitely helps). I suggest it to use it on ur every oil change or as the company suggests to use every 2,000km. But all i can say is that it works!

6. Spark plugs. Just check ur spark plugs at a service centre. Usually they lasts from 50k to 100k km depending on the driving conditions. So change them if needed. It only cost around 2,000 per spark plug. Hense bad spark plug means poor performance & bad fuel consumption. I changed & the results were just amazing. 

7. Others. Good tyres. Tyre pressure. Coolant. Wheel alignment. 

Hope these would help.

Good luck

Thank you...!!!

On 4/18/2019 at 1:29 PM, Praveen_Auto said:

Great post. A must read. Thanks.

Any material advantage of using this ?

Usually sceptical about using additives but i've used Ceratec on a couple of cars now and the difference in the overall NVH levels is palpable

Runs much smoother with it

LiquiMoly products unlike most other lubricants and additives are actually designed, developed, tested & manufactured in Germany as opposed to being manufactured by large consortium's and repackaged in some other part of the globe before being dumped here in the 3rd world  

• 4 years later...