• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Dash Cam recommendations (2019)

Hi Guys,

I am currently looking to buy a dash cam and following are my requirements. Also I have few questions and appreciate if you guys can answer them and recommend few brands / models.

Requirements

1. Small form factor and inconspicuous

2. Wide field of view

3. Dual Camera / ability to add second camera later on (Not a must)

4. Should not break the bank (Max budget is Rs.10,000) 

Questions

1. When using a dual cameras, are the footages being recorded as two separate files? or recorded as a single picture in picture style video?

2.  Inconspicuous cameras come with adhesive tape. Is that better compared to suction mount type

3. Recommended SD card size that can record at least one hour footage without being over written 

I am planning to hardwire the camera in to the fuse box with a kit. I will post a DIY tutorial here with the steps. TIA

Edited by shan_dissanayake

I brought this about a month back

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Blueskysea-Car-WIFI-DVR-B1W-mini-Dash-Camera-Rotatable-Lens-NT-GM8135S-high-HD-1080P-Dashcam/32836034734.html

Day time recording very good, at night the camera get dazzled from the lights of incoming vehicles, you could see what is happening but reading number plates difficult.

For the price i think it is worth

32GB will me more than adequate

Well I have 3 dash cams a 20k+ transcend 

a 10k hikvision

and a 2000 rs generic Chinese one

all of them work well, do the same job, now 2years + continuously

4 hours ago, kush said:

I brought this about a month back

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Blueskysea-Car-WIFI-DVR-B1W-mini-Dash-Camera-Rotatable-Lens-NT-GM8135S-high-HD-1080P-Dashcam/32836034734.html

Day time recording very good, at night the camera get dazzled from the lights of incoming vehicles, you could see what is happening but reading number plates difficult.

For the price i think it is worth

32GB will me more than adequate

Is there a separate app to download the files?

21 hours ago, shan_dissanayake said:

I heard that these things cost well over 20k. My budget is 10k

Ah yep it was around 22k,

Did you take a look at Xiaomi cams?

If you are going for unbranded Chinese cams then take a look at Aliexpress, you get far more options than in eBay and the review system of Aliexpress is better as well

Edited by Magnum

4 hours ago, shan_dissanayake said:

From where did you buy Hikvision one?

A popular sales website sold them in 2017, now the site is also stagnant. 

Just get a generic one with a capacitor, they run for ages, save your money 

spend it on the car

I purchased this (Yi Compact Dash Cam) a few months back and using without any problems. It's front camera only. So badly wanted to get a quality 2-channel camera but gave up the idea due to high cost (a good one with WiFi would cost around 20k+). This one cost me about 9000 with the SanDisk 32GB class 10 Micro SD card. it has wifi and therefore easy to view video clips. This one has good reviews as well.

I think It's one of the best choices for a compact, wallet friendly dash camera and it gets the job done very well.

I use Viofo A119. I like it because its pretty discrete and give good video quality.

Sample ebay link - https://www.ebay.com/itm/VIOFO-A119-1440p-30fps-Car-Dash-Cam-with-GPS-Logger-V2-2-0-LCD-Screen-A119-G/392192058663?epid=2297434809&hash=item5b5077e527:g:rPMAAOSwze9coedc:sc:UPS2ndDay!94124!US!-1

Here's the the install and sample video -

15 hours ago, shan_dissanayake said:

Is there a separate app to download the files?

Yes works on Apple and Android, you can copy directly from the card to PC too

Has parking monitoring as well, good camera for a budget 

So far heat has had no effect, car is parked directly in the sun during the day

Will have to see how it manages with time