• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Reasonable Mech Needed For Old Classics

tilvin

I have a morris minor which I recently bought from an Uncle (Old seller)...?. Now the car don't seem having enough brakes, lesser pickup and few body works. I need a knowledgeable mech around JaEla, Kandana, Wattala or Katunayake area which I can easily visit on my way to work. The guy should be a reasonable rate getting guy. My uncle (Not the seller...?) once went to the so called Aut*Mi**j guys for a service in his Jap Y10 wingroad. Their big mouth supervisor inspected my Uncle's car and have told the brake pads need to be replaced and they can do the replacement. Finally when the bill came my uncle was actually fainted....?.  The bill was 60K. When my uncle came home, brakes got binded and the car wheels were red hot. When our mech (New gen mech - he won't suit for Minor...?) removed the tyres and found the pads were fitted wrongly and that was causing the issue. Why I am telling all these is, I DO NOT need Posh mechs like Previous Nawala Road tuner Mar*o D*as who has ripped me once with one of my car or like these Aut*Mi**j guys who actually don't have any sound mechanical knowledge to do mechanical repairs. So please PM me with genuine guys with sound knowledge. A guy under the tree also fine for me if he has proper MECH Head.....?

48 minutes ago, tilvin said:

I need a knowledgeable mech around JaEla, Kandana, Wattala or Katunayake area which I can easily visit on my way to work.

where exactly are you based ? I'm from around the same area i could ask my dad who will know a few mechanics who work on older cars - the guy who works on our 72 Datsun is fairly competent too but I'm not sure if morris is up his alley PM me I'll try to get you some info. 

55 minutes ago, tilvin said:

Their big mouth supervisor inspected my Uncle's car and have told the brake pads need to be replaced and they can do the replacement

is this A****M**** near K-Zone?

It seems finally you bought one.Congratulations !!!. Guess your cars brakes not modified. It is said that MMs brakes are weak by born. Mine also had very weak brakes when bring to home. Drove around 120km and had to press paddle 2-3 time to slow down the car. Could not exceed 30kmh and avoided all main cities. As I was aware cars condition, already planned rural roads. When I started disassembling it for restoration process found that back wheel  oil seals leaked differential oil to the brake drums. See picture.

IMG_20180225_150735.thumb.jpg.7762b417d6204a77313d7e67ae33cbc1.jpgNot sure you checked the drums yet. I suggest you to do the repairs in your home. As I have heard enough bad stories about restoring old cars in garages. Once they disassembled  the parts/car the power goes to mechanic/garage owner. We need to obey what they say.  Doing things in our home is other hand. Anytime we can change the mechanic. So think about it.

Also try to find some old set of spanners which suit for old cars and try do things your self. Old cars are simple machines. There are many sites and fb groups for Morris minor cars which is very helpful. For tinker works too try to find a person who can visit to your place. Expend Rs 2000 - 3000 to bring his tools to your home.

In my cars I am doing most things myself and still in the painting process. Willing to write a blog here soon.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, matroska said:

where exactly are you based ? I'm from around the same area i could ask my dad who will know a few mechanics who work on older cars - the guy who works on our 72 Datsun is fairly competent too but I'm not sure if morris is up his alley PM me I'll try to get you some info. 

is this A****M**** near K-Zone?

I have PM you. Thanks.....:)