• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Volkswagen Bora 2.0 Burning Oil

kadsa98

Question

Hey guys,

So recently my VW started consuming oil at an unusual rate. I assumed it was due to me using the wrong grade engine oil (Was using 10W40 but was actually supposed to use 5W30) but I recently changed over to the correct oil grade 5W30 full synthetic but the problem seems to have gotten worse. Right now the mileage is 194,000km and I have been using the car since 155k. This issue only started recently. It's consuming oil at around a 1.3 liters per 1000km, there's no smoke from the exhaust but it does smell like it's burning oil.

What do you think it is? Bad valve guide seals? worn piston rings? Bad compression? (I don't think it's bad compression because I can still reach 200kmph without too much effort) The good news is I have a spare engine with only 40k on it which I imported by mistake (Long story) but before I swap In the engine, I was hoping to at least make it to 250k on the ODO

Thanks in advance

Edited by kadsa98

6 answers to this question

Hi,

Taking into account the mileage, it's acceptable for a small loss of engine oil,.

Yes your choice to go back to a lower viscosity has made it worse,..so check the engine for any leaks and clan the pcv  and put a thicker oil.

Good luck,..

• Thanks 1

could be valve seals,piston rings. If it gets worse,recommend to put in the new engine,not try to repair the existing one. The workshops who do machine work with Japanese engines do not know how to work on these heads/blocks.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, kush said:

Since you already have a better engine which could give you trouble free motoring for years why don't you swap it

I was hoping to use the current one until it dies but now that it seems very likely I might just swap in the new one. I just don't like the hassle of finding a decent mechanic and doing all the legal changes.

On 4/6/2019 at 7:35 PM, vag2 said:

could be valve seals,piston rings. If it gets worse,recommend to put in the new engine,not try to repair the existing one. The workshops who do machine work with Japanese engines do not know how to work on these heads/blocks.

Yeah I'm very much considering swapping in the new engine. Do you think I could sell off the old one for a decent price? by that I don't mean making money.

On 4/6/2019 at 12:18 PM, Twin Turbo said:

Hi,

Taking into account the mileage, it's acceptable for a small loss of engine oil,.

Yes your choice to go back to a lower viscosity has made it worse,..so check the engine for any leaks and clan the pcv  and put a thicker oil.

Good luck,..

Thanks for the reply, I checked the engine for leaks and fixed the one leak I did find and cleaned out the pcv valve however the problem persists. I was told by a Euro garage to not put in thicker oil as that may damage it further due to the increased oil pressure from the thicker oil.

If it gets really bad I'll just swap in the new engine.