• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Mazda 6 (2016~2018) vs Premio (2018~2019)

abiman

Hi,

I'm looking to upgrade my car and expecting vehicle permit (3.6M) soon.

Compared to new 2019 Premio, how would be a 2~3 year used Mazda 6 2016 or above will stay trouble free for 3~4 years? 

I'm trying to find out what car problems I could possibly face due to using 2~3-year-old Mazda (compared to 2019 Premio) and What additional maintenance I might have to do other than regular services. I'm planning to keep this car for ~3 years until the next permit arrives.

Is there any way to thoroughly check the condition of Mazda 6 2016 and above. (So that if/when I buy I wont get any hidden error codes in a month etc.)

Expecting to use this car for about 20,000km/year.

my budget is about 6.5M+permit value.

Thanks in advance.

If you need to ask the question..then buy the Premio :) 

Okay..here is the serious answer...

The 2019 Premio is in fact a 10+ year old design/platform with as many updates it can possibly handle done to it. This is the last year for the Premio and Allion as it will be scratched of from production and the current model barely meets Japanese regulations.

The Premio is a cozy little A to B sort of car. Fairly comfortable and reliable and decent creature comforts (not the latest and the greatest though). However for the price we Sri Lankans pay for it; it simply is not worth it in my view. Its an economical car...the 1.5L variant is a bit under-powered and boring but if you get your hands on the 1.8 or even 2L variants it is a lot more peppier. It is comfy because the suspension is soft as a result it feels like driving a boat. The steering is light and has minimal feedback..so it doesn't encourage you to drive spiritedly at all but it will get you from A to B with no fuss. The issue is in Sri Lanka 99% of Premio owners think they have the greatest car on the planet and it is an indestructable sports sedan.

The Mazda is the underdog. It is an amazing car...the SkyActive platform (remember Skyactive is an integrated platform) with the engine is rather involving experience. It has the latest and greatest tech.

The Premio if properly maintained with actual original parts and proper garages it will be the same as maintaining the 6...however, I do beleive there are a lot of really really cheap parts for the Toyota (which I would not recommend) and every maka baas on the side of the street things they can fix it. It might not be the case with the 6.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, kush said:

you will not be able to get the Mazda 6 for that budget

Mazda 3 will be within your budget

I saw several of 2016 cars for around 7Mil mark in local classifieds. Are you talking about brand new price?

14 minutes ago, iRage said:

If you need to ask the question..then buy the Premio :) 

Okay..here is the serious answer...

The 2019 Premio is in fact a 10+ year old design/platform with as many updates it can possibly handle done to it. This is the last year for the Premio and Allion as it will be scratched of from production and the current model barely meets Japanese regulations.

The Premio is a cozy little A to B sort of car. Fairly comfortable and reliable and decent creature comforts (not the latest and the greatest though). However for the price we Sri Lankans pay for it; it simply is not worth it in my view. Its an economical car...the 1.5L variant is a bit under-powered and boring but if you get your hands on the 1.8 or even 2L variants it is a lot more peppier. It is comfy because the suspension is soft as a result it feels like driving a boat. The steering is light and has minimal feedback..so it doesn't encourage you to drive spiritedly at all but it will get you from A to B with no fuss. The issue is in Sri Lanka 99% of Premio owners think they have the greatest car on the planet and it is an indestructable sports sedan.

The Mazda is the underdog. It is an amazing car...the SkyActive platform (remember Skyactive is an integrated platform) with the engine is rather involving experience. It has the latest and greatest tech.

The Premio if properly maintained with actual original parts and proper garages it will be the same as maintaining the 6...however, I do beleive there are a lot of really really cheap parts for the Toyota (which I would not recommend) and every maka baas on the side of the street things they can fix it. It might not be the case with the 6.

Thanks. Any recommendations to check used Mazda properly?

55 minutes ago, abiman said:

I saw several of 2016 cars for around 7Mil mark in local classifieds. Are you talking about brand new price?

Yes, thought you were going to import on your permit

15 minutes ago, abiman said:

Any idea about brand new import price of Mazda 6 for a permit?

Hasn't the government stopped the importation of vehicles using permits?

35 minutes ago, abiman said:

Any idea about brand new import price of Mazda 6 for a permit?

CIF approx Rs. 4.5 Mn., Customs duty Rs. 12.7 Mn., Luxury tax Rs. 4.5 Mn.(approx), Chargers around Rs. 800K less concession on the permit (Rs. 3.5 Mn.)

Approximate price for the permit Rs. 18.9 Mn.

18.5 to buy a 6 on a permit eh? Phew- if that's the case I'd put my money down on a used 2016 6. They go for around 8.5 mil or so. Get the 2.5 litre one- has a lot more oomph than the 2.0 litre ones and a lot more toys and it has a better looking front grille. Most of these cars must still be maintained at Colonial so you could always get it checked there.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kush said:

CIF approx Rs. 4.5 Mn., Customs duty Rs. 12.7 Mn., Luxury tax Rs. 4.5 Mn.(approx), Chargers around Rs. 800K less concession on the permit (Rs. 3.5 Mn.)

It was only 7.2M for a permit in 2016.

Anyway, I bless our prime minister and pack of ministers and Yahapalanaya for that.

Mazda, Subaru, to some extent Honda (except hybrids and new CRV) were bought by people who knows thing or two about cars.

They tend to take care of the vehicle and most of them are maintained by the agents. With the current vehicle market best deals are used are which are around 4-5 years old.

Those who bought at Rs. 7-8 Mn. are disposing them at more or less same price

10 hours ago, kush said:

Mazda 6 

CIF Rs. 4.5 mil., Duty Rs. 12.7 Mil., Lux Tax  Rs. 1 mil., Duty concession Rs. 3.6 mil = Rs. 14.6 mil

Mercedes C200 

CIF Rs. 8 mil., Duty Rs. 5.5 Mil.,  Lux Tax  N/A., Duty concession Rs. 3.6 mil = Rs. 10 mil?

What a stupid duty structure. ?

Edited by Prangi
  • Like 1

Used Mazda 6 2016-2018 without even thinking.Premio is just an ordinary car made for A to B transportation as mentioned by iRage.But I consider Mazda 6 as an all-in-one package. Looks,Comfort,Options Handling etc... I have no idea about the fuel economy, but the 2.0L motor seems to be pretty efficient compared to it’s size. Also go for the one which is equipped with a Bose sound system:action-smiley-035:

Edited by alpha17

16 hours ago, Prangi said:

Mazda 6 

CIF Rs. 4.5 mil., Duty Rs. 12.7 Mil., Lux Tax  Rs. 1 mil., Duty concession Rs. 3.6 mil = Rs. 14.6 mil

Mercedes C200 

CIF Rs. 8 mil., Duty Rs. 5.5 Mil.,  Lux Tax  N/A., Duty concession Rs. 3.6 mil = Rs. 10 mil?

What a stupid duty structure. ?

This is at old duty structure / luxury tax now is 100% on any petrol vehicle with a CIF over Rs. 3.5 Mn.

Accordingly

Mazda 6 

CIF Rs. 4.5 mil., Duty Rs. 12.7 Mil., Lux Tax  Rs. 4.5 mil., Duty concession Rs. 3.6 mil = Rs. 18.1 mil

Mercedes C200 

CIF Rs. 8 mil., Duty Rs. 5.5 Mil.,  Lux Tax  8.0., Duty concession Rs. 3.6 mil = Rs. 17.6 mil

Thanks to policy makers who still think size matters

3 hours ago, kush said:

This is at old duty structure / luxury tax now is 100% on any petrol vehicle with a CIF over Rs. 3.5 Mn.

Accordingly

Mazda 6 

CIF Rs. 4.5 mil., Duty Rs. 12.7 Mil., Lux Tax  Rs. 4.5 mil., Duty concession Rs. 3.6 mil = Rs. 18.1 mil

Mercedes C200 

CIF Rs. 8 mil., Duty Rs. 5.5 Mil.,  Lux Tax  8.0., Duty concession Rs. 3.6 mil = Rs. 17.6 mil

Thanks to policy makers who still think size matters

I think this the latest. Just check.

IMG-20190401-WA0002.jpg.b0a1be9c08d44ed0a8a9e1cb0cd96f84.jpg

IMG-20190401-WA0003.jpg.f144c08ff5d45bf6a80e8c465eb889c8.jpg

2 hours ago, Prangi said:

I think this the latest. Just check.

IMG-20190401-WA0002.jpg.b0a1be9c08d44ed0a8a9e1cb0cd96f84.jpg

IMG-20190401-WA0003.jpg.f144c08ff5d45bf6a80e8c465eb889c8.jpg

I was going by the budget comments where they proposed luxury tax based on CIF as a % 

May be it is not implemented still

image.png.acf6b1acb0dbfd40160e231b82b32b1c.png

Edited by kush

Not exactly based on the CIF as a percentage but Luxury tax free threshold deducted by the Total CIF and the remainder will be the base for above percentages. Currently proposed for certain engine capacities but it is rumored to be applied to all categories in the future (just something I heard).

11 hours ago, sathyajithj99 said:

Comparing a Premio with a Mazda6 is an insult to the Mazda.

Thsnks for answer. But many people trying to tell me Mazda is better compared to Toyota as a car. But my question is not that. I'm not comparing Mazda to Toyota. Rather comparing how would be 2yr old Mazda and new Toyota in maintenance and what issues to expect in next 3yrs from 2yr old mazda compared to new Toyota. 

1 hour ago, abiman said:

Rather comparing how would be 2yr old Mazda and new Toyota in maintenance and what issues to expect in next 3yrs from 2yr old mazda compared to new Toyota. 

You're talking about fairly new cars - maintained well both cars will be trouble free. Its after the cars have done some running and spent a few years in SLs hard conditions that"issues" come up. Timely maintenance is key. I had a 2012 Honda Fit which i did nothing but regular maintenance and I didn't have to do anything at all other than change wiper blades and do 2 wheel alignments.  I don't think either of these cars will give you trouble in the near future. 

• 2 weeks later...

Both are good cars, tbh. They're both good at what they were built to do. The choice my friend, lies with you. The 6 is a super car, comfy, rides well, decent on fuel etc. The Premio is a nice family car, ample boot space etc. As far as SL is concerned, the Premio has an advantage in terms of the resale value. And since you want to go a for a brand new version, nothing to worry about the car being hacked.

Since you're going for a used 6, what you really need to think about is how it has been maintained by the previous owner, and your financial situation (does resale value matter to you and all that jazz). My brother owned one of the first 6s to come into the country, took care of it very well. The guy who bought it from him, doesn't give two hoots about the car. Have seen it just parked on Thalawathugoda road in the hot sun, covered with dirt and all. So it's not always an enthusiast who buys the relatively niche brands, some buy it just to show off, me thinks.

Hope I've managed to narrow down the variables for you. Trust me mate, it's all about you and your reality, nothing else :)

All the best!

21 hours ago, TMG said:

Hi Guys,

I'm new to this forum and need your reviews on Mazda 6 , 2016 model.

Is it really a good car. How about the maintenance cost in case of a second hand.

Regards

yes it's a good car. As you are looking at a 3 year old car there will not be any major mechanical issues in the near future - unless it's horribly hacked which is unlikely for a mazda since majority of  mazda users apparently take good care of their rides. Regular maintenance cost  is on par with any new car. 

• Like 2