• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Tips of Maintaining a Black Car

PreseaLover

So I'm having a very hard time maintaining my black car. I don't use it daily, I only take it out on the weekends. When I wash it on a weekend and take it out in 2,3 days for an emergency, i find it dusty as it has got caught to a desert storm. so I cant keep washing this every 2,3 days and Im looking for a solution like a proper car cover at least. The car is under a garage with a roof, but its an open garage exposed to the air.. an ordinary car cover can be used, but when we take it out, the dust of the car cover might rub on the paint and so it wont make a difference.. anybody has an idea about a better car cover or anything to be done? 

Welcome to the perils of owning a black car in SL. Looks sweet for about 10 mins after washing but a day or two later looks like it has a thick layer of dust regardless of it has been driven or not.

Best advice I can give you is get a proper wax done. If you are that fussy about keeping the paint in top shape pick up a bottle of Meguiars Ultimate Quik Detailer which can be used even every day to lift dust and contaminants off the paint without washing. Gives it a show car shine whenever you take it out and as it is a spray detailer it only takes a few minutes to do.

Only solution is to cover the garage (air tight)

If you use a good wax removing dust with a quick wash will be easy as RWD mentioned

Do not recommend covering specially black as it will mark the paint

48 minutes ago, RWD said:

Welcome to the perils of owning a black car in SL. Looks sweet for about 10 mins after washing but a day or two later looks like it has a thick layer of dust regardless of it has been driven or not.

not to mention the swirl marks - this is mostly due to the circular wiping motion we do. 

2 hours ago, matroska said:

not to mention the swirl marks - this is mostly due to the circular wiping motion we do. 

Waxing helps, it fills up microscopic swirl marks and prevents further damage - My 5 year old car is mostly free of swirl marks compared to most newer cars

pW0EFAe.jpg

7gMXkIE.jpg

Maintaining black colour vehicles is like bathing in mud, it is very hard to keep the dust away and the dust here is very contrasting to the black paint as well.

The moment you wash and start wiping the body you realise that your circular motion in wiping has left minor swirl marks. 

Best option is to get it covered after a wash and wax, but then again it collects dust from roads as well because you are driving at a snail pace in Colombo.

Black is a best avoided color although it looks gleaming in a vehicle that has a lot of chrome.

Oh mate!!! I know that feeling. When I had the previous car with champagne gold colour I can run for weeks and weeks without needing to wash. But now? After washing only one trip to town is required?

Honestly I feel black cars should have an upgraded aircon as the heat soak is very apparent 

On 3/29/2019 at 10:44 AM, PreseaLover said:

So I'm having a very hard time maintaining my black car. I don't use it daily, I only take it out on the weekends. When I wash it on a weekend and take it out in 2,3 days for an emergency, i find it dusty as it has got caught to a desert storm. so I cant keep washing this every 2,3 days and Im looking for a solution like a proper car cover at least. The car is under a garage with a roof, but its an open garage exposed to the air.. an ordinary car cover can be used, but when we take it out, the dust of the car cover might rub on the paint and so it wont make a difference.. anybody has an idea about a better car cover or anything to be done? 

Car covers kinda scratch badly, even the original Oem/ Toyota ones also, basically every time u use the car, you ll have to wash it to proceed with covering it, or else there will always be dust on the car, and it will transfer to the cover, also u ll have to  meticulously dry it or it will mess up the clear coat later if you cover it wet

with the contrasting black paint they are going to show, back in the day I had a dark blue pickup, here’s a trick I used to do, 

go very heavy with a hard wax, old school, not a spray on.

apply like 3 coats each one week apart, 

thereafter I just use to hose the dust away with a gentle water pressure almost daily, this kept it shiny and dust free for the rest of the day, and I didn’t have to go through the trouble of washing it daily, just a 5 min splash of water.

once the wax starts fading you ll see dust being collected after water spots dry, the. It’s back to coating. Worked for me for 4 to 5 years 

btw since your paint is new, avoid waxing for 30-60 days due to gassing. 

Edited by tiv
  • Thanks 1