Jump to content
  • Welcome to AutoLanka

    :action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

  • 0
Sign in to follow this  
CaptainJ

27 year old japan car Vs 8 year old indian car?

Question

Hi,

Thanks in advance.

My budget is 13.5 lakhs.

I know this is discussed before .But previous treads are now old.Now japan cars are more older in this price range.This is my first car.

My requirement are,

 

  • Decent Fuel Consumption.
  • Reliability.
  • Low Maintenance cost.
  • Manual Gear
  • Fuel -Petrol
  • Some decent look

 

My selections are,

  • 1992 Toyota AE100 (Now 27 years old)
  • 1999 Ford Laser(Now 20 years old)
  • Nissan FB13(Now 26-30 years old)
  • Alto 2011(Now 8 years old)
  • Suzuki Zen(Now 15 years old)

 

I know any car will have repairs. My biggest fear is due to the old age of this cars i may encounter some serious repairs.I prefer japan cars.

 

What you guyz think?

 

27 year old japan car Vs 8 year old indian car?

What will be the wise choice?

 

Im open to suggestions .

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

16 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

You are choosing ONE car -it could be a 27-year old japanese car, 8-year old indian car, 15-year old European car or whatnot.

What you should be worried about, is that specific car. Not whether it is Japanese or Indian or Andromedian.

Keep your options open. Assess a few cars and buy the one that would be in the best condition. Don't worry whether it is Japanese or Indian or Andromedian. 

However, in my experience, Ford Lasers hold on to their build quality far better than most other cars, even after they age. One reason could be because your average penny-pinching gamey goday person goes for Toyotas most of the time.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Okay...so the Indian cars of the era you are looking at were not the most well built units...they lacked refinement and certain qualitative elements that make them less desirable and questionable when it comes to longevity.

Having said that...the answer to your question depends on the car you are looking at. If you find a really well maintained and cared-after 27 year old Corolla that has had proper pre-emtive/scheduled and running maintenances done...it very well be more reliable than a poor or averagely used 8 year old Zen or Alto. But then on the other hand a Corolla that has not been properly maintained could be a complete night mare and actually be a lot worst than your 8 year old Alto.  Yes..the E100 was solidly built and it can handle quite harsh use but that does not mean it is indestructible or that it does not break down.

Like Crosswinds said...go look at the cars...see which one is acually better and what you actually like.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Thanx for the replies.I will look for well maintained one with proper service history.

Will there be big difference in maintenance cost between japan car & indian car?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

You should add Mitsubishi Lancers to the list.... you will get reliable, more newer and good looking car as a result.... :D (if 8-10 kmpl is a decent fuel figure, u will get "Decent Fuel Consumption" too... 🙄)

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
3 minutes ago, CK2 said:

You should add Mitsubishi Lancers to the list.... you will get reliable, more newer and good looking car as a result.... :D (if 8-10 kmpl is a decent fuel figure, u will get "Decent Fuel Consumption" too... 🙄)

Can you suggest a specific model?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 hour ago, CaptainJ said:

Can you suggest a specific model?

if you can scratch your budget a bit- Lancer CK2 (1996/97).

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
2 hours ago, CaptainJ said:

Thanx for the replies.I will look for well maintained one with proper service history.

Will there be big difference in maintenance cost between japan car & indian car?

It will depend on the car itself...if the car is hacked and in bad shape then even a Japanese car will cost a lot to maintain because it will have to be fixed often.

In general:

- As I said before the Indian cars of the time period you are looking at were not the best built..so age starts to show quite early on.

- Maruti parts are significantly cheaper than most GOOD OEM parts and originial Japanese parts. However, the service life does tend to be shorter so over a period of time you will spend almost the same amount of money for the Indian cars by having to replace the same part a few more times (again..this depends on the car and the part).

- Good OEM parts and original parts for Japanese cars can be quite expensive. Howeer, there are plenty of cheap Chinese knock-off parts that are dirt cheap. If you use such parts then the maintenance/repair costs for a Japanese car would be almost the same as that of an Indian car. However, using these parts is not recommended.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
4 hours ago, K.o.N.o.S said:

if you can scratch your budget a bit- Lancer CK2 (1996/97).

It's out of my budget. 😥

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
3 hours ago, iRage said:

It will depend on the car itself...if the car is hacked and in bad shape then even a Japanese car will cost a lot to maintain because it will have to be fixed often.

In general:

- As I said before the Indian cars of the time period you are looking at were not the best built..so age starts to show quite early on.

- Maruti parts are significantly cheaper than most GOOD OEM parts and originial Japanese parts. However, the service life does tend to be shorter so over a period of time you will spend almost the same amount of money for the Indian cars by having to replace the same part a few more times (again..this depends on the car and the part).

- Good OEM parts and original parts for Japanese cars can be quite expensive. Howeer, there are plenty of cheap Chinese knock-off parts that are dirt cheap. If you use such parts then the maintenance/repair costs for a Japanese car would be almost the same as that of an Indian car. However, using these parts is not recommended.

🙂🙂Then I will try to go for  a jap car.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
4 hours ago, CaptainJ said:

🙂🙂Then I will try to go for  a jap car.

also consider crash safty,..

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 3/22/2019 at 10:10 AM, CaptainJ said:

Hi,

Thanks in advance.

My budget is 13.5 lakhs.

I know this is discussed before .But previous treads are now old.Now japan cars are more older in this price range.This is my first car.

My requirement are,

 

  • Decent Fuel Consumption.
  • Reliability.
  • Low Maintenance cost.
  • Manual Gear
  • Fuel -Petrol
  • Some decent look

 

My selections are,

  • 1992 Toyota AE100 (Now 27 years old)
  • 1999 Ford Laser(Now 20 years old)
  • Nissan FB13(Now 26-30 years old)
  • Alto 2011(Now 8 years old)
  • Suzuki Zen(Now 15 years old)

 

I know any car will have repairs. My biggest fear is due to the old age of this cars i may encounter some serious repairs.I prefer japan cars.

 

What you guyz think?

 

27 year old japan car Vs 8 year old indian car?

What will be the wise choice?

 

Im open to suggestions .

 

 

Go for the Alto mate. But be wary of the rusting in the Indian model. Check thoroughly before buying. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Go for the Japanese or Euro ride. They’ll be far more comfortable and refined than the Alto and Zen. Also note that the Indian vehicles tend to show their age really faster than japs. Japs are safer too🙂

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Posted (edited)

Boy this conversation might have confused you to hell, 

let me share my bit

 

if your your budget was towards the 18 mark an Indian will be a safer option because you can land a newer model, 

but at 13.5 you can get a much better jap, rather than the Indian ones at the price

also cars from this era may not be as economical in terms of fuel 

but spares are cheap, and cars from this era have ample parts, cheap parts in many makes, simple services

and you can run 92 oct, saving a bit more, and you are extremely LESS likely to lose money via depreciation through a jap car in this era, and mileage won’t also be a big deal as all are high,

whereas Indian cars of your budget range when old fall apart, loose money and mileage concerns pop up, interiors are shabby and lack more, even road presence is less.

Get a jap, You ll fall in love with it and develop a passion 

no one looks down on a well maintained clean jap car, whereas even a brand new Indian car is no head turner in our local context, they maybe good but it’s just the mentality here.

Edited by tiv
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, CaptainJ said:

🙂🙂Then I will try to go for  a jap car.

Since you are ok with indian hatches you might as well consider something like a March K11 those are bland but reliable cars that have been around for ages. You will be probably able to get a late 90s model for your budget specially since you're looking for a manual ( manuals are a lot cheaper)

Edited by matroska
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
20 hours ago, Twin Turbo said:

also consider crash safty,..

 

8 hours ago, BuBi said:

 

Go for the Alto mate. But be wary of the rusting in the Indian model. Check thoroughly before buying. 

 

3 hours ago, alpha17 said:

Go for the Japanese or Euro ride. They’ll be far more comfortable and refined than the Alto and Zen. Also note that the Indian vehicles tend to show their age really faster than japs. Japs are safer too🙂

 

2 hours ago, tiv said:

Boy this conversation might have confused you to hell, 

let me share my bit

 

if your your budget was towards the 18 mark an Indian will be a safer option because you can land a newer model, 

but at 13.5 you can get a much better jap, rather than the Indian ones at the price

also cars from this era may not be as economical in terms of fuel 

but spares are cheap, and cars from this era have ample parts, cheap parts in many makes, simple services

and you can run 92 oct, saving a bit more, and you are extremely LESS likely to lose money via depreciation through a jap car in this era, and mileage won’t also be a big deal as all are high,

whereas Indian cars of your budget range when old fall apart, loose money and mileage concerns pop up, interiors are shabby and lack more, even road presence is less.

Get a jap, You ll fall in love with it and develop a passion 

no one looks down on a well maintained clean jap car, whereas even a brand new Indian car is no head turner in our local context, they maybe good but it’s just the mentality here.

 

2 hours ago, matroska said:

Since you are ok with indian hatches you might as well consider something like a March K11 those are bland but reliable cars that have been around for ages. You will be probably able to get a late 90s model for your budget specially since you're looking for a manual ( manuals are a lot cheaper)

Thanks guys for all your inputs.😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register for a new account in our community. It's easy and FREE!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×