• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Chassis Number and Country of Origin not tallying

agent47

Question

Hi Guys,

So I'm new to the forum and I've joined for the very reason that I'm in process of purchasing a reconditioned vehicle and I need some clarification with something. This is my first vehicle so I’m not very familiar in terms of the formalities.

The vehicle I intend on purchasing is a Honda Civic ES 1 VTIS A – (YOM 2001)

The issue that I'm having is that when I took the vehicle in for valuation, I was told by the valuation center that the vehicle chassis number and the country of origin wasn’t tallying. To elaborate on this further, the chassis number is a Japanese chassis number but the country of origin reads as Singapore.

So I took this up with the seller of the vehicle and he informed me that this can be amended at the RMV after a process. He wasn’t aware of this until I brought it up.

What I like to know is that is the following:

Does this mistake of “country of origin” occur with the RMV?

Will this book amendment in any way affect the resale vehicle of the vehicle?

Should I go ahead and purchase this vehicle or do you think there has been some illegalities with the documentation in order to avoid taxes or is this is genuine mistake by the RMV?

Very much looking forward to your responses as I really like this vehicle since it has been maintained at Stafford throughout and is in excellent condition.

7 answers to this question

Country of origin is taken from shipping documents. A car made in India (Suzuki Baleno) but imported from Japan, will have its country of origin as Japan on the CR.

Your car is made in Japan but used in Singapore and imported from Singapore. That's why country of origin is marked as Singapore.

This is not a problem and you don't need to do anything about it.

Resale value will be the perception of the buyer. No one can predict that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, agent47 said:

Hi Guys,

So I'm new to the forum and I've joined for the very reason that I'm in process of purchasing a reconditioned vehicle and I need some clarification with something. This is my first vehicle so I’m not very familiar in terms of the formalities.

The vehicle I intend on purchasing is a Honda Civic ES 1 VTIS A – (YOM 2001)

The issue that I'm having is that when I took the vehicle in for valuation, I was told by the valuation center that the vehicle chassis number and the country of origin wasn’t tallying. To elaborate on this further, the chassis number is a Japanese chassis number but the country of origin reads as Singapore.

So I took this up with the seller of the vehicle and he informed me that this can be amended at the RMV after a process. He wasn’t aware of this until I brought it up.

What I like to know is that is the following:

Does this mistake of “country of origin” occur with the RMV?

Will this book amendment in any way affect the resale vehicle of the vehicle?

Should I go ahead and purchase this vehicle or do you think there has been some illegalities with the documentation in order to avoid taxes or is this is genuine mistake by the RMV?

Very much looking forward to your responses as I really like this vehicle since it has been maintained at Stafford throughout and is in excellent condition.

Dude RMV ; DMT has heaps of mistakes in books / CRs

I have seen 7 Seater Volkswagen beatle

Land Rovers with country of Origin as Japan

Mini Coopers from Japan ( Book Print )

Diesel Vehicles marked petrol

Land Cruisers marked Land rover

Kias marked as Country of origin; china

Don't get me started on engine CC, gosh misprint chassis nos, inclusions, omissions 

Yea everything can be amended, they have a procedure

Thanks a lot guys. This information helps me heaps coz I was contemplating whether to drop this vehicle for this very reason. Good to know that it's a common occurrence and I shouldn't worry about it too much.

What do you guys think about this vehicle?

Honda Civic ES 1 VTIS A. It's done 165k km mileage,. maintained at Stafford throughout for the past 8 years (all records available), it even has a pretty cool sunroof which is the first ES1 I've seen with a sunroof. He's quoting 2.45m and I've pretty much confirmed the sale. Good or bad decision?

13 hours ago, agent47 said:

Thanks a lot guys. This information helps me heaps coz I was contemplating whether to drop this vehicle for this very reason. Good to know that it's a common occurrence and I shouldn't worry about it too much.

What do you guys think about this vehicle?

Honda Civic ES 1 VTIS A. It's done 165k km mileage,. maintained at Stafford throughout for the past 8 years (all records available), it even has a pretty cool sunroof which is the first ES1 I've seen with a sunroof. He's quoting 2.45m and I've pretty much confirmed the sale. Good or bad decision?

Would I pay 2.45m for a 15-17 year old civic? no but that's up to you. If you think it's worth it, go for it

Having maintenance records is always a good thing. Even if the car has done 300k, if it has been maintained properly you don't have to worry much. However personally for piece of mind I would change out all the fluids and filters just to be on the safe side.

get the car inspected they can check the genuineness of the mileage too and for any accident damages

As the car is pretty old and most of the Singapore imported were clocked by the sales guy. your current owner may be innocent not knowing his car was clocked

It is most likely clocked and that's something I'm gonna have to live with not knowing for sure. That's something that can't be monitored no matter what you do.

I also wouldn't have normally paid 2.45m for a 2001 vehicle but considering this is Sri Lanka (a land like no other), this is what the current market is. And it's going to get worse after the budget. So yeah.