• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

A good sedan with good fuel economy budget 3.5 to 3.8 mil.

XuneB

Question

Im in search of a good reliable and economical sedan in the price range of 3.5 to 3.8 mil.

I have a few models under my consideration but is having a hard time selecting one since this going to be my first.

My considerations are

1. Toyota axio non hybrid (Does the x grade differ a lot from the x limited and g grade ?)
  2. Toyota Allion 240
  3. Nissan Bluebird G11
  4. Honda Fd1
  5. Mazda 3/ Axela  2008-2009

I know there are posts for each of these cars but they are old. So if the experts in this forums could give me some advice on these models i have mentioned it would be of great help me.

13 answers to this question

Axio X is kinda basic for the amount you pay. No RPM, manual AC, no map lights. G has better options but expensive. X limited (X HID selection) is the best bet I guess in terms of Axio as it has RPM, scoop head lamps and sometimes even climate control. It could still be cheaper than a G. In case of any model go for the most newer one as possible.

Edited by hrm

Forget the Allion 240, as most of them have been abused to death. Axio is the best bet when it comes to fuel economy, resale and well suited for SL driving conditions. Just like the Allions most of the Axios have been abused but still there are few good examples left. My advice is also not to go for a X grade like hrm mentioned. If you can find a good example  X limited, G or G limited is fine. Just be in alert that sometime Luxels might come up for sale and they are the best of both worlds with 1.8L engine plus good fuel economy and loads of options. It’s the highest grade of the Axio. Beware that most X limiteds have been rebadged as G with installing teak panels, multifunction and everything. Note that from 2006-2009 only Luxel grade was equipped with teak panels. And those teak panels are not reddish brown, but yellowish. These are the only ways that you can get to know that the car is an. original G or G limited.Note that these are applicable to 2006-2009 manufactured Axios.

-Push start and the smart entry system(some buggers install a button, those systems don’t have the smart key)

-rear seat center armrest

-chrome beading on the windows and a little chrome strip on the edge of the rear number plate plastic inserting(where the number plate lights are located).

-also the dark grey door interior upper panels are finished in soft touch materials in the g and above grades while in the X and X limited are finished in hard plastic. You can’t tell the difference without testing it by your finger nail

Make sure that previous owner has taken care of the car, unless you’ll end up spending closer to 200,000. Cvt gearbox(if not taken proper care of), Ac compressor, shock absorbers and steering rack are the main repairs to arrive.

When you consider a Civic better to go for a FD4 with 1.6 engine as it will be easier to sell in SL market. Civic is definietly a better drive with more power and sharper handling but might be a bit less on the comfort side. If you go for a Civic, make sure to opt for a 2009 afterwards model as the power steering is electronic. Economy wise it’ll be giving figures like 7-8kmpl in traffic and 13-14kmpl on highways/long trips.

Edited by alpha17

Axio non-hybrid - Reliable, no-nonsense people carrier, sounds like the obvious choice

240 - Good choice if you can find an exceptional example (1/2 owners, Service records from day 1, etc)

Nissan Bluebird - No idea

FD1 - Looks great, drives great

Mazda 3 - Looks great, drives great, better fuel efficiency than the FD1

8 hours ago, alpha17 said:

Forget the Allion 240, as most of them have been abused to death. Axio is the best bet when it comes to fuel economy, resale and well suited for SL driving conditions. Just like the Allions most of the Axios have been abused but still there are few good examples left. My advice is also not to go for a X grade like hrm mentioned. If you can find a good example  X limited, G or G limited is fine. Just be in alert that sometime Luxels might come up for sale and they are the best of both worlds with 1.8L engine plus good fuel economy and loads of options. It’s the highest grade of the Axio. Beware that most X limiteds have been rebadged as G with installing teak panels, multifunction and everything. Note that from 2006-2009 only Luxel grade was equipped with teak panels. And those teak panels are not reddish brown, but yellowish. These are the only ways that you can get to know that the car is an. original G or G limited.Note that these are applicable to 2006-2009 manufactured Axios.

Not always the case and not true...Luxel's wood trimmings were manufacture options (well by default it got it). The same paneling could have been ordered at the dealer as a dealer option...granted the type that would have had come with the Luxel would have been expensive as they are actual panels and not the stick on kind. So..there would be some Gs and Xs and what not that would have the Luxel trim.

Next...the grades...the actual grades are X and G and Luxel. X-Limited and G-Limited were packages that were introduced periodically for ..well..marketing. Typically for Toyota, the X Limited is kind of like a stripped down G and the G has a few bits and trinkets as standard that otherwise would have been optional features/accessories.

Identifying grades by trim is not the ONLY way to figure out the grade nor is it the most accurate. Toyota makes it easier than other Japanese manufacturers. The actual grade can be figured out by the Model/Frame type/code. For actual manufacturer limited grades/packages  the model/frame type/code would have a -<some letter> to denote that it was limited package or something.

On 3/17/2019 at 11:29 PM, XuneB said:
  • Toyota axio non hybrid (Does the x grade differ a lot from the x limited and g grade ?)
  • Toyota Allion 240
  • Nissan Bluebird G11
  • Honda Fd1
  • Mazda 3/ Axela  2008-2009

For a fairly economical mile muncher the Axio would be the obvious choice. If you want a little more engaging driving experience you can try the Civic (FD1/FD4) or the axela. You might lose a little bit of fuel economy. The G11s a fairly comfy car -( never driven just travelled in one) Forget the Allion its too old to justify the price tag and finding a genuine car would be about as hard as finding an honest politician.

On 3/19/2019 at 11:07 PM, alpha17 said:

-Push start and the smart entry system(some buggers install a button, those systems don’t have the smart key)

-rear seat center armrest

-chrome beading on the windows and a little chrome strip on the edge of the rear number plate plastic inserting(where the number plate lights are located).

-also the dark grey door interior upper panels are finished in soft touch materials in the g and above grades while in the X and X limited are finished in hard plastic. You can’t tell the difference without testing it by your finger nail

Make sure that previous owner has taken care of the car, unless you’ll end up spending closer to 200,000. Cvt gearbox(if not taken proper care of), Ac compressor, shock absorbers and steering rack are the main repairs to arrive.

When you consider a Civic better to go for a FD4 with 1.6 engine as it will be easier to sell in SL market. Civic is definietly a better drive with more power and sharper handling but might be a bit less on the comfort side. If you go for a Civic, make sure to opt for a 2009 afterwards model as the power steering is electronic. Economy wise it’ll be giving figures like 7-8kmpl in traffic and 13-14kmpl on highways/long trips.

Thanks a lot for sharing your expertise. I think i would go for an axio g grade. But as your are saying will it be difficult on finding a real g grade since  most x limited ones can be re badged. Any idea of a difference i can find in the chassis number.

On 3/20/2019 at 7:51 AM, iRage said:

Not always the case and not true...Luxel's wood trimmings were manufacture options (well by default it got it). The same paneling could have been ordered at the dealer as a dealer option...granted the type that would have had come with the Luxel would have been expensive as they are actual panels and not the stick on kind. So..there would be some Gs and Xs and what not that would have the Luxel trim.

Next...the grades...the actual grades are X and G and Luxel. X-Limited and G-Limited were packages that were introduced periodically for ..well..marketing. Typically for Toyota, the X Limited is kind of like a stripped down G and the G has a few bits and trinkets as standard that otherwise would have been optional features/accessories.

Identifying grades by trim is not the ONLY way to figure out the grade nor is it the most accurate. Toyota makes it easier than other Japanese manufacturers. The actual grade can be figured out by the Model/Frame type/code. For actual manufacturer limited grades/packages  the model/frame type/code would have a -<some letter> to denote that it was limited package or something.

Thank a lot for the valuable information. Do you have any idea what the Model/Frame type/Code would be for a G grade. 

6 hours ago, XuneB said:

Thanks a lot for sharing your expertise. I think i would go for an axio g grade. But as your are saying will it be difficult on finding a real g grade since  most x limited ones can be re badged. Any idea of a difference i can find in the chassis number.

It’s the push start+smart key

9 hours ago, alpha17 said:

As I know push start is an option for G grade and Luxel of that vintage. X and X limited didn't get that even as an option.

Edited by hrm
Removed model codes

On 3/24/2019 at 6:26 AM, XuneB said:

Yes...like I said in my reply...with Toyota the different grades actually have different frame/model codes ! Do a search on the forums..I have written the frame/model number for each of the grades a few times....

With Toyota you will see a number on the ID tag that is the form of NZE141-AEXEK (This is the frame code for a Corolla E140 series G grade with CVT transmission).

The location where NZ is located identifies the type of engine. This has a 1NZ engine so it has NZ. A KDH200 has a KD engine so has KD. KE72 has a K engine so it has K.

E14x denotes the generation of the vehicle. E141 signifies a sub-categorization of the series. 

the AEXEK part is a letter code that depicts the grade at factory. In this case it a G grade with CVT transmission. For a G grade with manual transmission this would be AEMEK. A, E have meanings but lets not get in to that now.

For factory limited packages/editions the code will have a -<some letter>. For example NZE141-AEXNK is the code for a X grade with CVT. For a X limited it might have the code NZE141-AEXNK-X

So with Toyotas even if the badges were changed you can figure out what it was originally.

On 3/24/2019 at 12:52 PM, alpha17 said:

Like I said..this (going with accessories/features) is not a sensible way of going through it. It is exactly this kind of basis for checking vehicles that have lead way to moronic users and car salesmen swapping stuff in vehicles. These were accessories/features that could be ordered or retro-fitted. With second hand parts available one can easily retrofit these things as well. Go with the frame code when it comes to Toyota.