• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

2 hours ago, Thilinadinith said:

Hi All, 
Sorry for asking this question again ! Please Im looking for some opinion as im not much touch with the current sri lanka vehicle market and the vehicle models ( as im living in aboard) 

So i would like to ask the same question that what is a good choice when it comes to 4.0 -4.5 Million ( max looking for is 4.5 but can stretch to 4.6) 

What i prefer as follow 

• Fuel Efficiency ( something where it is manageable   )
  • Non-Hybrid
  • Suv or Sedan ( prefer SUV )
  • Prefer some new technologies ( such as traction control, cruise control whatever it look smart )
  • Automatic transmission
  • Some Ground Clearance
  • Need to have room for 5 people ( to travel comfortably )
  • not a hacked vehicle 
  • if SUV with some Off Road capabilities ( not extreme or hard off road)
  • Not so Old Vehicle
  • Not a hatchback ( except Mazda 3)

Currently I have in my mind ( i will update if i get any other good choices ) 

1. Mazda 3 ( 2014-2015 Model) 
  2. Sportage 2011-2012 ( Diesel Tiptronic - 4WD )

Things i dropped

1. Civic, GPs, Vezel
  2. Hyundai Tucson ( i dont like the design) 
  3. Santa fe ( old version 2008 ) 
  4. Premio/ Allion ( most are hacked, over priced same like 121)
  5. Chinese brands ( eg Tivilio) 
  6. Ssangyong

Questions i have

1.  Any other suggestions? or recommendations ? 
  2. Do u have experience or anything to share regarding mazda 3 and its maintenance experiences ? 
  3. Do u have experience or anything to share regarding Sportage 2011-12 and its maintenance experiences ? 
  4. Pros and cons with Mazda 3 ?
  5. Pros and cons with Sportage? 
  6. Any related experience over the cars/suvs on my budget ? 

Im sorry again if i ask this question again. cause its really hard to find a updated thread regarding this topic !

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.c5a4099f7c2d34061e667dbd7196bd92.jpgimage-asset.jpeg.3a6b062199ed11a51f4a594802da1db8.jpeg

I guess you have drilled down your options to the Mazda 3 and Sportage CRdi. Let me give my thoughts on above 2. 

Sportage 2011-2012 ( Diesel Tiptronic - 4WD )*I doubt you can get the diesel variant within your budget, usually a these things go above 5 mn mark. Not sure the current prices though, the petrol variant might fall in for the budget, but then again it wont be economical as the Mazda. 

Pros

- Good ground clearance 

- Sufficient power for a rough terrain /hills. 

- Larger boot space, comfortable for 5 people. 

Cons 

- I have no experience with the agents, but from what I have heard they are not the best in terms of customer service. One of my collegues had the petrol variant with a Sunroof, she had lot of trouble with the agents for sourcing a Sun roof and the sump. (She hit the sump on a road island). Waited for months after lot of phone calls, visits, complaints etc.

- Have heard the agent is also expensive for some regular maintenance stuff like gear oil changes. 

- Driven once, and the body roll was significant (this is comparative) 

Mazda 3 ( 2014-2015 Model) *Havent seen any hatches for this model in SL, apart from one Axela. (The JDM variant)  

Let me guess you are from Aussi ? Have seen many Mazda 3 hatches over there, seems very popular. However the version imported to SL by the local agents is not the highest spec unfortunately.

- Solid cars, brand new imported usually agent maintained all through out with the service records. 

- Proper handling with a feel.

- Usually still with the first / second owner not used as a 'Commodity' like a Toyota. 

- Has good alternatives to the Agent e.g. Ma*na motors. 

Cons 

- Basic options, e.g. Manual AC, Basic audio, Rear Drum brakes,No auto levelling head lamps,HUD etc. *Then again this is comparative, I feel them as basic options because I compare this car with the JDM equivalent Axela. :) which has some additional bells and whistles, If there is no Axela then the options on 3 is not basic.  :)

- Engine is from the prev generation, non skyactive *But its a solid engine. 

- Bit firm on the ride, not floating like a Toyota.

If I were you I would still go for the 3 even though it falls behind the 'Option' aspect. Most these so called options are not practical in SL context, I would value the rest over that. Its up to you to decide. 

Good luck.

5 hours ago, Thilinadinith said:

.....2. im buying mainly for my family and occasionally my wife drove thats why im looking for automatic. also im frequently flying back n forth to sri lanka and need a good drive when im in sri lanka for trips and long distance comfort travel + other than that vehicle will run each and very day with short distance in colombo. 

Okay, well my advice to you would be to buy the vehicle based on what it will be used for most of the time (90% of usage time). And based on the highlighted answer above: Your needs center around wanting a dependable vehicle to run (short) daily errands in Colombo and not really an SUV (You could always rent a SUV or van with a driver for the odd trip). So you might as well focus on smaller vehicles, and ditch the SUV's. By doing that, not only will you save money, but you might be able to buy something newer with lower running costs / maintenance costs. ( Based on what you say the vehicle is mostly being used for, I wouldn't really recommend a diesel SUV that's for sure...) 

From the two vehicles you've shortlisted I guess the Mazda 3 is a good fit as you seem to like it so much, but you'll probably be able to get a Mazda 2 , or even a Kei car that will cover your needs quite well and end up being cheaper.

21 hours ago, Thilinadinith said:

Currently I have in my mind ( i will update if i get any other good choices ) 

1. Mazda 3 ( 2014-2015 Model) 
  2. Sportage 2011-2012 ( Diesel Tiptronic - 4WD )

Things i dropped

1. Civic, GPs, Vezel

Well it seems you've already made up your mind and the Mazda 3 is quite a nice car to live with. 

The sportage will be useful and practical if you regularly travel with 5 people long distance but I doubt if the diesel is in that budget range. As you did mention some regular driving as well the best overall choice would be the Mazda 3. 

For a budget of 4.5 you can do better than the Vezel or the GP5/1 but for below 4 Mill the non hybrid Civic FD1/4 is a worthwhile contender of course the ground clearance is a bit poor though. 

On 5/11/2020 at 10:01 PM, Kavvz said:

Okay, well my advice to you would be to buy the vehicle based on what it will be used for most of the time (90% of usage time). And based on the highlighted answer above: Your needs center around wanting a dependable vehicle to run (short) daily errands in Colombo and not really an SUV (You could always rent a SUV or van with a driver for the odd trip). So you might as well focus on smaller vehicles, and ditch the SUV's. By doing that, not only will you save money, but you might be able to buy something newer with lower running costs / maintenance costs. ( Based on what you say the vehicle is mostly being used for, I wouldn't really recommend a diesel SUV that's for sure...) 

From the two vehicles you've shortlisted I guess the Mazda 3 is a good fit as you seem to like it so much, but you'll probably be able to get a Mazda 2 , or even a Kei car that will cover your needs quite well and end up being cheaper.

Hi Thanks for your advice, i would like to know why u not recommending diesel suvs? can u please share your insights or the experience?
and you are saying its not really good for colombo trips cause of why ? maintain cost is high? or any other facts? 

On 5/12/2020 at 11:32 AM, matroska said:

Well it seems you've already made up your mind and the Mazda 3 is quite a nice car to live with. 

The sportage will be useful and practical if you regularly travel with 5 people long distance but I doubt if the diesel is in that budget range. As you did mention some regular driving as well the best overall choice would be the Mazda 3. 

For a budget of 4.5 you can do better than the Vezel or the GP5/1 but for below 4 Mill the non hybrid Civic FD1/4 is a worthwhile contender of course the ground clearance is a bit poor though. 

Can u please suggest some vehicles that i can get on this bugdet. even though my mind setup for the mazda 3, person who is so much with cars ( i would say a car seller ) who is a friend of mine. advice if you go for the mazda 3 forget about the resale price. and since there are less no of vehicles, it will be hard to find parts, people who know to maintain that car where i have to be depend on the company only FD1 is good but petrol consumption is every low. + as u said the ground clearance. i drove one which is one of my friend's and very time I put  into a small pit my heart stopped. lol
I was looking for a SUV cause me and my family goes on long rides as well. where i felt so packed with those cars type where had to put those stuffs in everywhere. + the ground clearance and also the comfy. 

as i said im ok with mazda 3 but in the same time afraid of the resale price ( i dont need to sell it for higher price but need a fair depreciation ). and the parts and maintain resources 

18 minutes ago, Thilinadinith said:

Hi Thanks for your advice, i would like to know why u not recommending diesel suvs? can u please share your insights or the experience?
and you are saying its not really good for colombo trips cause of why ? maintain cost is high? or any other facts? 

No diesels are fine for Colombo and really any part of Sri Lanka, its just that I'm not sure you'll be using it enough to justify: 

1. The higher cost of purchase

2. Potentially higher maintenance costs. I never had a problem with my diesels (had a diesel car and a SUV) but both were used hard and ran every day. If your diesel is going to be sitting around, it may develop a bit of issues with regards to the fuel systems (and DPF if equipped with one) etc, but those are minor issues (if any) and shouldn't stop you if you really want  a diesel SUV: No worries, you should get it. Life's too short for regrets, especially when  it comes to one's choice of vehicle.

My main point is : Why pay more for a diesel SUV when a cheaper (petrol) car would suffice? Not sure about you but I like holding on to my money... :D 

Edited by Kavvz

2 minutes ago, Kavvz said:

No diesels are fine for Colombo and really any part of Sri Lanka, its just that I'm not sure you'll be using it enough to justify: 

1. The higher cost of purchase

2. Potentially higher main maintenance costs (I never had a problem with my diesels (had a diesel car and a SUV) but both were used hard and ran every day. If your diesel is going to be sitting around, it may develop a bit of issues with regards to the fuel systems (and DPF if equipped with one) etc, but it shouldn't be too bad. If you really want one: no worries, you should get it. Life's too short for regrets, especially when  it comes to one's choice of vehicle- Its just not what I would do. 

My main point is : Why pay more for a diesel SUV when a cheaper (petrol) car would suffice? Not sure about you but I like holding on to my money... :D 

Yeah true. your point is true when it comes to the highlighted text in ur comment :D . any suggestion i can go for ?  other than mazda 3?  cause im little bit worried that

1. resale price
2. parts and maintenance 
3. people who knows about the car to get stuffs done 

45 minutes ago, Thilinadinith said:

Yeah true. your point is true when it comes to the highlighted text in ur comment :D . any suggestion i can go for ?  other than mazda 3?  cause im little bit worried that

1. resale price
2. parts and maintenance 

Cars are a highly personalized purchase. What works for me won't necessarily work for you. Having said that I did have a 2008 (or 2007? It was a while ago...) Mazda 3 and loved it. It was the best small car I've had to date, and it totally lived up to the zoom-zoom hype. I'm sure the 2014-2015 Mazda 3's are just as good if not better, as I've not heard anything negative about them (other than the usual non-Toyota bias). 

But if you're completely set on solely considering the 

1. resale price
2. parts and maintenance 

You like most Sri Lankans are going to have to buy a Toyota (any model, just pick one that fits your budget from: Landcrusier, Axio, Premio, Corolla, Vitz, ...the list is endless)

So, I don't know what to say other than: Test drive a few cars from your list (or any Toyota!)  and buy what puts a smile on your face. If getting your money back the day you sell it, or ease of maintenance is what puts a smile on your face then; buy a car that has the highest potential to do that.

I currently own a car that has torn side bolsters, needs a front bumper repair, (possibly new tires) and is completely impractical for my family. But, every time I climb in to it I can't help smiling as I drive away, and it always makes me reflect on how lucky I am to own it. Its a great feeling, and its my happy place. I hope you find yours too. 

Edited by Kavvz
  • Like 1

Just now, Kavvz said:

But if you're completely set on solely considering the 

1. resale price
2. parts and maintenance 

You like most Sri Lankans are going to have to buy a Toyota (any model, just pick one that fits your budget from: Landcrusier, Axio, Premio, Corolla, Vitz, ...the list is endless)

@tilvin I guess its time for a 'හපොයි.....?' here too maybe? :D 

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Thilinadinith said:

Can u please suggest some vehicles that i can get on this bugdet. even though my mind setup for the mazda 3, person who is so much with cars ( i would say a car seller ) who is a friend of mine. advice if you go for the mazda 3 forget about the resale price. and since there are less no of vehicles, it will be hard to find parts, people who know to maintain that car where i have to be depend on the company only FD1 is good but petrol consumption is every low. + as u said the ground clearance. i drove one which is one of my friend's and very time I put  into a small pit my heart stopped. lol
I was looking for a SUV cause me and my family goes on long rides as well. where i felt so packed with those cars type where had to put those stuffs in everywhere. + the ground clearance and also the comfy. 

as i said im ok with mazda 3 but in the same time afraid of the resale price ( i dont need to sell it for higher price but need a fair depreciation ). and the parts and maintain resources 

Well here's the thing - you really can't predict resale value a LOT of factors depend on it. But I really don't agree with your friends idea about a Mazda being difficult to sell....there's a bit of a stigma spread around by car sale folk.  You can't sell any car for profit now you'll just have to accept depreciation. For instance I know two people who really struggled to sell an Axio and a Premio  a while back. Anyways your mazda has already gone through initial depreciation (the poor sod who brought it b/new has already taken the hit ) if you buy say an unreg new car the depreciation will be even more. Since depreciation is common why dont you select a car that you like and suits your requirement than think of re-sale?  Note that the korean SUVs will not fare any better than the Mazda regarding depreciation. 

Parts and maintenance-wise Mazda don't fare too badly and there are 3rd parties who undertake Mazda repairs so it's not like having a rare euro.  

It's like marrying a woman you don't actually like just because it seems she will not ask for big compensation when you're divorcing her. :D 

If you really really want to 'feel' good about resale then you can consider a Toyota but imagine getting a hacked disaster and spending days and days in garages you'll hate yourself for taking that option then. 

Edited by matroska
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, Thilinadinith said:

1. resale price
2. parts and maintenance 

14 minutes ago, Kavvz said:

Well OP if you must then the best option would be to go for a Toyota Corolla 141 (161 is hard to come by) ...relatively less hacked specimens are out there (compared to Allions and Premios) , they have good ground clearance, made to be run in local conditions and they are absolutely simple mechanically so basically they're easy to fix.

A 2011/2012 car will cost you less than 4 Mil you have an ample financial buffer for any potential repairs

Edited by matroska
Added the rough price
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Kavvz said:

Test drive a few cars from your list (or any Toyota!)  and buy what puts a smile on your face. If getting your money back the day you sell it, or ease of maintenance is what puts a smile on your face then; buy a car that has the highest potential to do that.

True i will do this as well.

1 hour ago, Kavvz said:

My main point is : Why pay more for a diesel SUV when a cheaper (petrol) car would suffice? Not sure about you but I like holding on to my money...

this is something i will keep on my mind when checking vehicles :D 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, matroska said:

It's like marrying a woman you don't actually like just because it seems she will not ask for big compensation when you're divorcing her.

lol :D 

32 minutes ago, matroska said:

If you really really want to 'feel' good about resale then you can consider a Toyota but imagine getting a hacked disaster and spending days and days in garages you'll hate yourself for taking that option then

yes that's why i am hesitate to buy toyotas.

anyways thanks for the comment 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/13/2020 at 10:05 PM, matroska said:

Toyota Corolla 141

@matroska as you said can i know more about this variant ? i mean i have seen much 141 corolla in the market with lower mileage. is there any particular reason for it ? like fuel consumption ?
Or any other reason ?  where the same 141 axio variant is higher with mileage and  higher in price. im wondering what choice is the correct :(

1 hour ago, Thilinadinith said:

@matroska as you said can i know more about this variant ? i mean i have seen much 141 corolla in the market with lower mileage. is there any particular reason for it ? like fuel consumption ?
Or any other reason ?  where the same 141 axio variant is higher with mileage and  higher in price. im wondering what choice is the correct :(

Well it's like this - the 141 Corolla usually came as a brand new import through the agents mostly by people with permits and by organizations etc  while the Axios were re-conditioned grey imports from Japan. The 141 drinks a bit more fuel than the Axio, so naturally the local market has hyped the Axio and  fetches a higher price. But in reality the total cost of ownership of both (fuel + maintenance + initial buying cost) would probably be the same.  Axio's were also used as taxis,fleet cars etc due to the fuel savings. While there could be hacked 141's many 141's were home used or as second-cars (bought by govt servants on permit etc) . I

This is more or less same as the Yaris/Belta scenario (Belta - JDM grey import) 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, matroska said:

Well it's like this - the 141 Corolla usually came as a brand new import through the agents mostly by people with permits and by organizations etc  while the Axios were re-conditioned grey imports from Japan. The 141 drinks a bit more fuel than the Axio, so naturally the local market has hyped the Axio and  fetches a higher price. But in reality the total cost of ownership of both (fuel + maintenance + initial buying cost) would probably be the same.  Axio's were also used as taxis,fleet cars etc due to the fuel savings. While there could be hacked 141's many 141's were home used or as second-cars (bought by govt servants on permit etc) . I

@matroska also isn't the brand new Toyota Lanka imported petrol 141 a 1.6 with a normal automatic Vs the 1.5 CVT on the Axio? 

As you rightly mentioned these were bought mostly by civil servants or professionals so there is a fair chance of actually finding a carefully used, perhaps even agent maintained specimen.

So in effect @Thilinadinith the Axio may just give the perception of (false) economy in the long run when you factor how the vehicles has been used.

There were also some manual (2C?) diesel 141's that were brought down on permits (university lecturers)

2 hours ago, Devinda_Z said:

also isn't the brand new Toyota Lanka imported petrol 141 a 1.6 with a normal automatic Vs the 1.5 CVT on the Axio? 

ah yes I forgot to mention that - the bigger engine and the old school A/T box. 

• Like 1

On 6/2/2020 at 8:38 PM, matroska said:

Good number of 141s were bought by doctors and govt. servants. Majority of  govt. servants who brought them were entitled for official transport hence low mileage.

Fuel economy no where near the 1.5L CVT (Axio/Allion/Premio) especially in heavy traffic. Manual a/c will also contribute to this as most of the time compressor will be running (not as efficient as the Auto/ Climate control)

You get 175mm of ground clearance this is modern SUV territory when you compare with current JDMs

Firm suspension one of the better handling Toyotas

Bullet proof built quality and even if something goes wrong you can source genuine parts from Thailand for fraction of the cost.

We have one for the last 12+ years with only a suspension overhaul.

• Like 3