• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

DFSK 580

WhiteDiavel

I do agree with the "VFM" part. There is a considerable price gap between this and its Japanese counterparts because of the tax structure.

However, I wouldn't be a guinea pig for testing this vehicle out - if it performs acceptably under Sri Lankan conditions and if there is enough backing up from the agents and 3rd party spares vendors in the future then sure, I'd give it a shot if I were in the market for an urban SUV/Crossover.

Until then, let brave souls like @Car Doctor and @Roshan321 test it out for us. I say more power to them for their selfless endeavor! :D

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hyaenidae said:

What's wrong with ElaKiri car reviews?

Even though they don't focus on the cons of any vehicle their reviews are factually correct ne?

Everyone should see the prado one, hilarious 

And defender 

As for Value for money, my opinion is subjective 

Say a prado 2015? You buy it for 16mil, run the nuts off, sell it for maybe 15mil in 5 years 

So much car, poor value for money as it's like a 5mil car in japan, we pay the taxes we run it, but we make it back when selling allowing a certain upgrade or to consider it an investment, at the going rate the above idea is short lived though 

Say you buy a vitz, good value for money in a sri lankan context, 1 mil car in japan, and probably can sell like a few 100k less and make it back,

Assume the car op is into here, you buy it for what 6mil? Or whatever quoted 

Obviously you get into a commitment of keeping it for like ? 4 to 5 years or longer, assume you do 50km a day, 20 to 30k km a year, by 3 years you ll be off warranty and enjoying the perks of chinese car ownership 

The car being cheap doesnt mean parts are cheap, parts being brand new too, 

And being limited to the agents, parts take time to be found and imported as the vehicle ages and agents finish selling their quotas

So then the value for money is debatable isn't it? 

If there are owners here of the above car, we dont have any intention to undermine you or your purchase, im sure you've got into an investment as the above after much consideration and reviewing the pros and cons of a Chinese vehicle,

its just a friendly discussion, for noobs to read in the future.

Edited by tiv

4 minutes ago, tiv said:

Everyone should see the prado one, hilarious 

And defender 

It's their very first  (or the second) review if I remember correctly, cut them some slack. they even had a song about Prados at the end of it :D

But I find their later reviews to be professional and to the point

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, tiv said:

You buy it for 16mil, run the nuts off, sell it for maybe 15mil in 5 years 

So much car, poor value for money as it's like a 5mil car in japan, we pay the taxes we run it, but we make it back when selling allowing a certain upgrade or to consider it an investment, at the going rate the above idea is short lived though 

Well Chinese cars can be sold for a few 100k loss too Edit: if they prove to be acceptably reliable and can withstand harsh SL conditions without falling apart like some Chinese vehicles

Eg: The Geely Emgrand. It was about 3.1mil back in 2015, now they're going for 2.5mil and upwards. Not a half-bad car for that price, you get the comfort of a Premio, better driving pleasure and spare parts are affordable too.

Edited by Hyaenidae

If someone wants to promote local value addition in the Automotive industry, and has lots of money then go ahead and be a test mule. The problem is not everyone does and dough is hard to come by these days.

The problem with the Chinese cars reputation was created by the importers/agents themselves (like the garbage dump in Meethotamulla). They should have imported higher quality brands and provided good afterservice/ parts availability if they had a long term vision for the SL market.  Or they read the consumers wrong, and failed to realize they were competing with Japanese quality.

16 hours ago, Roshan321 said:

Hi All, 

First of all please note that im not from UML or a owner of this vehicle. But after seen the review from Elakiri , 

I got some interest for this vehicle and did some research. So thought of sharing it with our friends. First I have search about the company name DFSK, then got to know that they are the largest truck manufacture for the Asia during past years. And China government hold most of shares in this company. Recently their the one who did largest investment for Car manufacturing plant in Asia , it was in Indonesia, fully robotic automated large scale car plant. They have started to make SUVs in 2015 and this 580 is one of it, they have manufactured Electric model and one model integrated with voice command which not available in Sri Lanka. DFSK 580 SUV fully designed for China , Korea and Europe market, later they have moved out to Indonesia and Pakistan India Asian market. Since they selling this model in Europe market it has fully aligned with European standards, it has Euro 5 engine made in Belgium and Gearbox as well. They got NCAP 5 start rating for safe testing (Crash test, hope you know India Maruti has 0 stars)  

which same to new Honda CRV. Currently its selling successfully in Peru, Italy, Germany, Switzerland and UK. Please refer review done in Spanish and you can find other reviews done in Peru , Germany , Italy,  Indonesia, Korea, etc

Ok now we talk about the price , it is selling in Sri Lanka for RS 6,175,000 . According to Government tax regulation if imported vehicle need to do 30 % of value in Sri Lanka (Labor and material) to get import tax reduction. So they are import Vehicle Body and Engine , Gearbox and Suspension separately and Install in Sri Lanka, DFSK company Engineers came to Sri Lanka to inspect this installation work and after their certification only DFSK allow UML to do installation here. All parts are originally import from DFSK apart from front and Rear Buffer and Second Third seat seats cushioning done in Sri Lanka. Even Seat Frame also direct imported from DFSK. All inspected by DFSK and after they make sure all out put are same as Brand new make in DFSK for European market, then  they given their authorization to UML to proceed. If this not done like that and if this Vehicle import directly then according to today tax schema this vehicle will be cost nearly 10 Mil Rupees in Sri Lanka.

What are the negative points, Obviously second hand market. If you think about the time we start to import Japanese vehicle around 70s how people criticize Japanese cars by comparing European vehicles.  Then When start to import  Korean cars (KIA, etc ) how we criticize those by comparing Japanese vehicle. To my understanding whatever happened in future China will take over Vehicle market as well. So Second hand market may change in future.

Other main point is we need to think about the values for the money , We have to spend 6 Mil for this Vehicle for all Latest features with safety and also for 7 seater. If we want to get same feature from Honda , option is CRV new model, then Price? 11.5 Mil in Company , so you can Buy 2 DFSK 580s, then Mitsubishi Outlander, Nisan Xtrail  what is the Price ?. If you compare this Vehicle with Toyota , Mitsubishi, Honda or BMW SUV then it will be totally unfair comparison. There are huge cost  gap between two vehicle, obviously that because this 30% of Sri Lanka values addition, otherwise this Vehicle also will come to 10 Mil range.As same as mentioned in Elakiri review this is values for the Money, This is  what I got to know about this vehicle.

How strange, not an owner and not from UML, and interested in some unknown sh#t. And the write up.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Roshan321 said:

HI Vag2 - Dont act like politician in this country. Talk about the facts and findings I have mentioned. I also welcome any logical explanation of Pros and Cons about this Vehicle. Thought we have professionals  in this forum who can argue positively ?

Reallyy? so keep explaining us what motivated you to post some random stuff out of nowhere on a Monday morning without having any ulterior motives? 

If you like the Chinese soup keep enjoying it, no one gives a d@mn about it so far.

Hopefully if its as good as you say, this car will change the bad reputation of Chinese cars under SL conditions.

And if you do have some connections to the agents although you deny it,  please ask them not to let down the buyers of this vehicle this time.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Roshan321 said:

People like you talk same way when Korean vehicles introduce here by comparing Japanese vehicle. now whats is the situation ? You like or not everything will change. You may from Car sale owners or proud owner of Japanese vehicle. But You cannot neglect Chinese capabilities. At the moment most of new tall buildings build in this country are Chinese engineers.

What's the point of talking about tall Chinese buildings when majority of the Chinese vehicles imported to Sri Lanka so far proved to be crapboxes in the long run?

the point to note here is, in china, you can get anything for any price point <Variable is quality>

Popular MG ZS also comes from China and by looking at the popularity and fit and finish it seems few steps ahead of DFSK.  But its reliability is yet to be proven. 

DFSK or any other Chinese vehicle manufacturer may be manufacturing really good vehicles but at a much higher price point. And bringing them down to SL may make them as expensive if not more than Jap / Korean or even EU competition. So no one would buy it.  

Therefore the only way importers in SL to make some profit is by getting a low quality make and make it popular in SL which would attract the market with attractive features and pricing. 

I have seen the company BYD making SUV's which goes head to head with Tesla Model X. But those are at a very high price point. 

Edited by JayZ

2 hours ago, Roshan321 said:

check how many this model sell in Europe

In which part of Europe? I am in Europe and have so far not seen any of this vehicle  that's going to be the hottest wheels in the country as you and Cardoctor predict ?

55 minutes ago, Roshan321 said:

Hi Hyaenidae - I agreed about your comment "majority of the Chinese vehicles imported to Sri Lanka so far proved to be crapboxes in the long run" , but please note this happened to Korean Vehicle also in the beginning, later they got success, same way you cannot condemn this vehicle by giving statement because of its Chinese. Are saying that China never be able to make successful vehicle?  how can we say this model is failure by looking at past , also so far DFSK make Trucks for Asia market from long time and didn't see major failure for them when I search. One other thing is DFSK is the Chinese manufacture of Vehicle spare  part for Honda, Nisan , KIA, etc.

Actually no. The first Korean vehicles to come to Sri Lanka were Hyundai Stellar and Hyundai Pony. Most Stellars that were imported in early 1980s are still in running condition. The bad reputation for Korean vehicles started in late 90s and early 2000s when hordes of Singapore-used taxis were imported to Sri Lanka. They were just 3 years old but had run well in excess of 200,000km and clocked before selling. Your statement about old Korean cars being poor in quality at the beginning is patently wrong. Chinese cars in Sri Lanka on the other hand, have been catastrophic so far. 

You have mixed up Dong Feng with DFSK. Dong Feng is an OEM manufacturer for Nissan and also has a stake in PSA Peugeot Citroen. DFSK was formed after Dong Feng acquired a small chinese vehicle manufacturer. DFSK is the low-cost vehicle production arm of Dong Feng. That's all. They are meant to make cheap vehicles and that's exactly what they do. 

And a point to note about exporting to Europe. Most Europeans and Australians buy cheap vehicles to use and dispose. So they do buy Chinese vehicles once in a while. They spend about $15,000 on a vehicle, run it to the ground and dispose for scrap. That's about 3-month's salary for someone who does a reasonable job in those countries. This is the market that Chinese automakers cater to, and they know this well. So you actually find brands like Great Wall, Foton, Chery, Geely in Australia and Europe. That's the reason why Pandas and JACs become virtually unusable after 5 years. This market does not exist in Sri Lanka. Sri Lankans expect the lifetime of a car to be around 30 years. This is where the problem is and this is why there's a lot of skepticism about Chinese vehicles.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Roshan321 said:

Hi Hyaenidae - I agreed about your comment "majority of the Chinese vehicles imported to Sri Lanka so far proved to be crapboxes in the long run" , but please note this happened to Korean Vehicle also in the beginning, later they got success, same way you cannot condemn this vehicle by giving statement because of its Chinese. Are saying that China never be able to make successful vehicle?  how can we say this model is failure by looking at past , also so far DFSK make Trucks for Asia market from long time and didn't see major failure for them when I search. One other thing is DFSK is the Chinese manufacture of Vehicle spare  part for Honda, Nisan , KIA, etc.

Hey I'm all for locally assembled Chinese vehicles being reliable as much as Japanese vehicles - If DFSK 580 is the first Chinese car to achieve that (I seriously doubt that would be the case after seeing @Crosswind's reply above though.) you won't find me being grumpy about it!

However, I'm not going to pay a cent out of my pocket to test if the latest addition to the Chinese car stable would hold up to Japanese standards in Sri Lanka. That's for guys with deep pockets or shallow brains.

• Haha 1

I have been using a 580 for all most 6 months and have run more than 5000km. All i have to say is that this is a great SUV when compared to a suv in similar capacity like MG.but this vehicle might not be a good vehicle for those who think that Japanese vehicles and European vehicles have not been recalled NEVER. If you have a mild headache why don't you go for some Paracitamole instead of so called big brand names . Both will heal your illness . 

To me 580 is more worth for my money !

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

19 hours ago, LMS said:

I have been using a 580 for all most 6 months and have run more than 5000km. All i have to say is that this is a great SUV when compared to a suv in similar capacity like MG.but this vehicle might not be a good vehicle for those who think that Japanese vehicles and European vehicles have not been recalled NEVER. If you have a mild headache why don't you go for some Paracitamole instead of so called big brand names . Both will heal your illness . 

To me 580 is more worth for my money !

Another newbie giving a car review for DFSK.  Trying harder will make it less appealing for any prospective buyer here,  because we can sense guerilla marketing much sooner than you guys think,ROFL

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Roshan321 said:

We can see who is doing Guerilla marketing here, Those who are doing Car sales in Sri Lanka who are the spread all these brand viruses for innocent people.

so this magic SUV is going to shutdown all the car mafia sales and make people dump their 20 year old Allions and Axios and line up in front of UML to beg to be on a 1 year waiting list to buy it? ?  Do you even know if this vehicle has been put through a environment and road test in Sri Lanka? Is it a tropicalized version?  if so, please provide references. At least then people might believe you and think about recommending it for someone with deep pockets and shallow brains, if not for themselves.

• Confused 1