• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

car for family use around 1.5mil - 1.6mil

shashinidu

Question

I'm looking to buy a vehicle (1st one), looking for some quality ideas of yours about Nissan Pulsar, Fb14, and Toyota something. Experienced u having or had with those machines, things should consider when buying a used one, fuel efficient and etc. Thank you all ❤️ 

2 answers to this question

You’ll be okay with both of these models.Corolla 110 is another good option IF YOU ARE LUCKY TO FIND A GOOD EXAMPLE,but it is absolutely rare and will cost around 1.7-1.8million.Also you can buy a Corolla 100 within your price range, but they are really old now.But if you can stretch your budget by a little for 1.8 million you can get a Mazda Familia, which is a newer and one of the best cars in that price range. It will not be as easy to sell as a Corolla, but it’s a really balanced car for that price with manufactured years from 2000-2003.Our next door had one for around 10 years and it’s really comfortable and fun to drive.As I remember the car only had an issue with a sensor once. The car is similar to Ford Laser which is a proven platform around the world.Feel free to ask anything.

Cheers

5 hours ago, alpha17 said:

You’ll be okay with both of these models.Corolla 110 is another good option IF YOU ARE LUCKY TO FIND A GOOD EXAMPLE,but it is absolutely rare and will cost around 1.7-1.8million.Also you can buy a Corolla 100 within your price range, but they are really old now.But if you can stretch your budget by a little for 1.8 million you can get a Mazda Familia, which is a newer and one of the best cars in that price range. It will not be as easy to sell as a Corolla, but it’s a really balanced car for that price with manufactured years from 2000-2003.Our next door had one for around 10 years and it’s really comfortable and fun to drive.As I remember the car only had an issue with a sensor once. The car is similar to Ford Laser which is a proven platform around the world.Feel free to ask anything.

Cheers

Note that he says it will not be easy to sell as  Corolla...not that it is not easy to sell. People who use and buy Mazdas have somewhat different priorities.

As for the choices you have mentioned. I would not advise anyone, including my enemies; to buy a B14 series Sunny (I suppose it extends to Pulsars as well). Our family company had a few and a few of my friends had them too. The plus points are that it was cheap to run..did pretty good on petrol, was comfortable (as most Nissans are)..the seats felt plusher than the the Corolla of the same era...and they came better equipped than other mainstream Japanese cars of in that segment.

HOWEVER...they were rubbish bins....in all of these cars...every single thing you can think of broke EXCEPT the engine block (strange enough the main engines were carried over from the B13 series with some mods and upgrades). You name it..it broke...pullies, belts, compressors, alternators, bushings,switches, relays, hoses (even the metal ones), radiator,etc...it just kept breaking. In our company cars and some of my friends' cars we used actual Nissan parts...made no difference...in fact some who used good after market parts had better luck. In one the agent supplied radiator broke 3 times within 1.5 years ! Yes 3 times ! leaving the guy stranded. Finally he went to Delkanda and got a locally made radiator put on which lasted 1 year with no issues until he got rid of it. 

On the plus side...parts were cheap...any baas walking down the road can fix it...and then it will run again for a few 100km more until something else breaks down (in many ways this is exactly what some Sri Lankans look for in a car).

So..if you buy a B14...be prepared to do some repairs at bit more shorter intervals than the norm. The issue is...these cars being this old, it means they would have gone through many owners and these owners would have gone through these repairs...you have no idea how these people would have repaired them. Considering the reasons most people buy them for, you really can't expect much in terms of quality of repair work, etc....so yeah....

Might I suggest the Axela/3, Lancers and even the Corollas before you look at a B14 ? Heck...look at a B13 even before looking at a B14 :P