• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

2001 Accent, Elantra

rayman

Hi guys, i'm looking for a cheap car around 1.3mil or less. Must be Automatic, preferably a sedan/wagon as a city runabout. 2001 Hyundai Accent, Elantras and Kia Rios caught my eye. While I know that they are not like Korean cars of today, is it advisable? Similarly prices jap ones are either too old or have way too many issues. Thoughts please? 

It all depends on the condition of the actual car and how it was maintained. There are very well maintained Hyundais and there are thrashed Corollas. Which one would you prefer? A thrashed Corolla, because its made in Japan?

Another one you should look out for - Proton Wira

Again, the brand or model doesn't matter for an old car. What matters is how its maintained.

Yeah exactly, I'd rather go for a non trashed Hyundai, given market perception its priced quite low and saw a few decent examples. Just want to know is it a good buy. I don't care if the interior plastics are bad, just mechanical reliability.

My long term daily is an Alfa, so I want something that can be fixed with a hammer if necessary. Most of the Japs in my budget are trashed and way too old. Have no experience with older Hyundais/Kia, so bit wary of the English numbered Accents going for rock bottom prices.

I know a couple of people who used accents in that era and they were quite reliable. Kia Rio of that era however  , everyone complained. Also it is not safe to assume that the Hyundais are not thrashed , those things depends on the owner who used them. Whichever car , do a proper inspection. 

Just like TheFlyingFox said, I also heard that Kia Rio is very unreliable. A neighbour owned one and the car started to show it’s age really quickly. He even met with an accident due to the steering wheel being disconnected from wheels while driving.But both Rio and Accent are really fuel efficient.

Accent is the best choice among them. It’s a pretty basic cat, but does the job, a to b transportation. A realation of mine owned one few years ago and he had no issues. At that time it cost only Rs.5 to travel 1km in longer trips(around 10 years ago)