• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Kia Picanto ABS

RakithaPeiris

Dear all

As a first time buyer , i did a month long research into buying a Kia picanto as it offers good handling and looks that will set it apart from the sea of Kei taxis floating around .My initial plan was to purchase the 3.2M automatic version (Since My budget cap is 3.2M max) 

But after visiting their showroom , i found it a bit disappointing that Kia doesn't offer ABS in their 2.9M manual and 3.2M Automatic versions (I thought it was a standard feature on all new cars) . And the version with ABS is sold for 3.4M .

Although i feel that this price is a bit of a rip-off , is ABS really necessary for this car . Or should i bite the bullet and go ahead with a Kei model like a Wagon R/Nissan Dayz with the optional Safety pack (sold of course from your local mudalali) 

Yes, ABS is not a feature you could skip. The fact that a 3 million+ car is being offered without ABS in 2019 is simply incomprehensible - WTH is Kia thinking?

Did you consider the Perodua Axia?

How much would a brand new Wagon R from the agent (A*W) cost? If it's within your budget there is that option as well.

If none of them works out for you going for a grey import Kei car sounds way more reasonable than paying 3.2 million for a car without ABS IMO.

3 hours ago, RakithaPeiris said:

Dear all

As a first time buyer , i did a month long research into buying a Kia picanto as it offers good handling and looks that will set it apart from the sea of Kei taxis floating around .My initial plan was to purchase the 3.2M automatic version (Since My budget cap is 3.2M max) 

But after visiting their showroom , i found it a bit disappointing that Kia doesn't offer ABS in their 2.9M manual and 3.2M Automatic versions (I thought it was a standard feature on all new cars) . And the version with ABS is sold for 3.4M .

Although i feel that this price is a bit of a rip-off , is ABS really necessary for this car . Or should i bite the bullet and go ahead with a Kei model like a Wagon R/Nissan Dayz with the optional Safety pack (sold of course from your local mudalali) 

Additional cost is not only for ABS it also includes, rear adjustable hear rests, audio controls in the steering, alloy wheels with better tires and if i can remember right better quality seat material for additional Rs. 200k or so.

I was in the same dilemma one and a half years back when i opted to the full spec car as i did not want to compromise on the safety.

At the same time my in personal experience having done over 33k km i have never noticed ABS kicking in, car has very progressive braking with good peddle feel. car is well planted to the road and is equipped with better tires than the cart wheels you get in kei cars. Does not have much power to get you into trouble.

If your a experienced driver and  driving is in city in dry conditions you could be ok without ABS.

Edited by kush

1 hour ago, Hyaenidae said:

Yes, ABS is not a feature you could skip. The fact that a 3 million+ car is being offered without ABS in 2019 is simply incomprehensible - WTH is Kia thinking?

Did you consider the Perodua Axia?

How much would a brand new Wagon R from the agent (A*W) cost? If it's within your budget there is that option as well.

If none of them works out for you going for a grey import Kei car sounds way more reasonable than paying 3.2 million for a car without ABS IMO.

A new FZ from A-W costs 33M and it is a bit Spartan compared to the fancy Wagons sold out of sheds ,  but now that you recommended the Axia - i might give one a try - if not settle for a off-the-shed Kei cars .

thanks

52 minutes ago, kush said:

Additional cost is not only for ABS it also includes, rear adjustable hear rests, audio controls in the steering, alloy wheels with better tires and if i can remember right better quality seat material for additional Rs. 200k or so.

I was in the same dilemma one and a half years back when i opted to the full spec car as i did not want to compromise on the safety.

At the same time my in personal experience having done over 33k km i have never noticed ABS kicking in, car has very progressive braking with good peddle feel. car is well planted to the road and is equipped with better tires than the cart wheels you get in kei cars. Does not have much power to get you into trouble.

If your a experienced driver and  driving is in city in dry conditions you could be ok without ABS.

Yup , forgot to mention those extras though. But the 32M model would have been a hot seller if they had it standard as i would gladly trade the 6 speaker system and the seats for safety . since most of my driving will be to the office and weekly shopping runs , it might not affect much , but as i've got limited driving exposure , i think i would push for one  with ABS as it would be better to have than not have it . Thanks.