• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Importing Spares from Ebay

alpha17

Hello guys,

I’m going to import a Bose spare tire subwoofer from Ebay. It weights around 4-5kg(not sure), and size is of the inside radius of a 15’ rim. Since it is a large item, is there a specific process for tax payments and collocting from the customs? This is my first time of importing a large sized item, therefore expect some opinions. The price of the item is around $100 and shipping rate is around $30-$40, but both of these figures vary.

Cheers

9714F919-29ED-45DA-8CFC-335411F2EFF0.jpeg

Edited by alpha17

12 minutes ago, alpha17 said:

Hello guys,

I’m going to import a Bose spare tire subwoofer from Ebay. It weights around 4-5kg(not sure), and size is of the inside radius of a 15’ rim. Since it is a large item, is there a specific process for tax payments and collocting from the customs? This is my first time of importing a large sized item, therefore expect some opinions. The price of the item is around $100 and shipping rate is around $30-$40, but both of these figures vary.

Cheers

If its normal parcel post or EMS the process is simple, you'll receive a letter requesting you to collect the item at the nearest post office which has a foreign parcel counter, they'll open and inspect the parcel in your presence, then pay the tax and collect the item... if you're a cute girl who is good at making puppy eyes or  good at negotiations  you can negotiate the tax too :D 

DHL offers a service where they clear the item for you but this almost always costs more than getting it cleared yourself 

Edited by Hyaenidae
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, alpha17 said:

Hello guys,

Cheers

9714F919-29ED-45DA-8CFC-335411F2EFF0.jpeg

Have one in my car. Not sure of the model though! Very nice indeed. Can make a lady go ? with the right track ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hyaenidae said:

DHL offers a service where they clear the item for you but this almost always costs more than getting it cleared yourself 

Both DHL and UPS offer this service..but it simply is not worth it. Courier services declared the actual value of the item at customs and customs in return charges the actual and all applicable duty rates on these items. So you pay a lot in duty. If you clear it yourself, and you are nice to them, they will accept a lower value for the item (brand new vs. used etc...) and give you a break on the taxes (commercial vs. private classifications, etc...). If you can get the ebay seller to declare it as a gift or something, its even better :) 

• Thanks 1

get a quote fro the item from K*****a they can sea freight which will save some cost you will have to pay their commission and duty at standard rate.  Door to door service no hassle.

For personal items generally customs does not bother if comes as a gift. Recently i cleared some stuff which came through a friend in Canada. Three boxes stuff worth over Rs 120K paid Rs. 3650 duty (valued at Rs. 30K)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kush said:

get a quote fro the item from K*****a they can sea freight which will save some cost you will have to pay their commission and duty at standard rate.  Door to door service no hassle.

Be careful with K****a though...they have a tendency to lose things or just take months and months to get to you (so long that you wish you would have just flown over to the US and hand carried it yourself) and when it does...the customer support services are disgusting...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, iRage said:

Be careful with K****a though...they have a tendency to lose things or just take months and months to get to you (so long that you wish you would have just flown over to the US and hand carried it yourself) and when it does...the customer support services are disgusting...

...And the owner of that particular service wanted the government to restrict people from trading directly with online e-commerce sites so his POS-ruka can fleece people who want to import goods ?

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

On 2/23/2019 at 9:06 AM, fiat fan said:

Have one in my car. Not sure of the model though! Very nice indeed. Can make a lady go ? with the right track ?

Woow!!!Is it a Bose??In your Q3?Usually Audis use bose

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alpha17 said:

I’ll order one within the next two weeks. Is it necessary to order from a Top Rated Seller when buying parts like these? @Hyaenidae @iRage @kush

Rating does help and it gives you a sense of assurance knowing that the seller is reputable and has not screwed anyone over and knows the process. Not to to say  that anyone with a low rating, especially newbies, are bad; its just that you never know. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/23/2019 at 7:39 AM, Hyaenidae said:

If its normal parcel post or EMS the process is simple, you'll receive a letter requesting you to collect the item at the nearest post office which has a foreign parcel counter, they'll open and inspect the parcel in your presence, then pay the tax and collect the item... if you're a cute girl who is good at making puppy eyes or  good at negotiations  you can negotiate the tax too :D 

According to my experience, DHL charged me about Rs2800 for clearing my injectors in 2017 (as you know ;) ). All 4 injectors were $87 at that time and DHL charged me $36 to bring it to Kandy from UAE (3 days as I remember). Delcalred value was $60 and Total weight was 1Kg.

dhl.thumb.jpg.7f89159aa9c891b5b7e9ca861164d208.jpg

If the calculation is right, I have paid ~24% as tax. But, when I try to release other items (not vehicle parts) the tax was about 14% or something.

And intersting thing is I ordered same injectors last year from China  (Genuine, Reconditioned) for another car with China post and they reached my home. Same thing for USPS; some stuffs will be stucked in customs and some will not. I don't know how they do that may be the weight of the package or the size of the package or the custom declaration or may be the carrier or may be the luck?

Same thing for electronics too including mobile phones. You don't have to be a girl, if you can talk and behave good you can get them released. If you try to cheat, it will be more problems ;)

• Like 1

On 2/23/2019 at 8:08 PM, alpha17 said:

Woow!!!Is it a Bose??In your Q3?Usually Audis use bose

Yes bro. In the Q3. Lexus comes with JBL.Actually the new lineup of Audi`s now come with B & O. But personally, I like Bose better. Bose just has that punch in bass,which is heaven.  You wont regret it.

ps. Try to replace the speakers with Bose as well.At least on the rear 2. Soo worth it.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2019 at 11:39 AM, fiat fan said:

Yes bro. In the Q3. Lexus comes with JBL.Actually the new lineup of Audi`s now come with B & O. But personally, I like Bose better. Bose just has that punch in bass,which is heaven.  You wont regret it.

ps. Try to replace the speakers with Bose as well.At least on the rear 2. Soo worth it.

I’m already a Bose fan mate.My father too.I have Bose 5.1 Acoustimass 6+Bose 301 coupled together and it totally rocks.

Upgrading the speakers to Bose is a bit messy since most of the Bose car speakers are rated at 1-2 ohms. So if I use them, I need to purchase an amplifier. Adding the whole system together with the amplifier will be the best option, but it is likely to cost around 50k.

At the moment the car has a chinese crappy unit, but a bit reluctant to replace it with a Kenwood one because all the options are working except for the crappy “petti bass” when I turn up the bass level. So I keep the bass level around -3 which retains the punch while cutting of the petti bass.The car itself has a pretty decent set of speaker for casual listening, so for the moment I plan to install this spare tire unit to add the missing lower end. I never want to install a huge bass tube or a box in the trunk which totally ruins the original look.

Certainly I’m looking forward to turn the whole system to a Bose slowly?

On 2/28/2019 at 3:16 PM, kush said:

Ordered a dash cam from A** E****** it came within 7 days from Singapore, normal post, value declared was actual @ US$ 49 all the details printed in the box. No duty

I also ordered a set of sound deadning mats for the previous car and came in large packages without taxation.I have imported more than 50 things from ebay but this is going to be the biggest and the most expensive one

I'm not too sure about bose in the car. They are good at home and when it comes to having small units.

I have a 5.1 with 12 speakers in the car which is factory fit it is good but not great.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Hyaenidae @iRage @kush @TG10E24 I ordered the part on 9th March and when I tracked it, indicated that it arrived to SL yesterday (13th). I asked the seller to mention it as a gift item, so he said that he did so and mentioned the value indicated as 5. I would most likely to be called to Kandy post office for clearing. Can you explain about this value indicated and how to act at the post office?

DD5D7646-E9C6-4A03-88E9-90EE94FF52F4.jpeg

3776640C-2D8A-484A-B312-3D0D67FCAA3E.png

How to act = sweet and innocent. So not talk back be very friendly. Say your friend had it and because he did not want it he decided to give it to you or something...They might give you a break and let you walk out of it or just put a lower value and tax you on the lower value.

Don't forget they probably will see right through you the minute you walk in and ask for the item. So trying to site regulations, etc...is not going to help your cause. Be a nice guy

• Like 1

Sharing one of my earlier experiences. I Once ordered a blackberry phone through EBay and back then I didn’t know they put soo much tax on mobile phones. I went to kandy main post office and they unboxed the package In front of me and said ‘sir phone genna ba 10k vitara tax gewanna wei’. I somehow talked them out and they agreed to a sum of mere 700rupees to release the phone..” Sir ayeth phone genna epa this is the last time” they said. In my opinion You have to act according to the situation.

• Like 1

@iRage @K.o.N.o.S I called my relation today morning whom I bought my car from. He asked me to call on the day when I’m visiting there, as he works in that field?. If he is unable to help I will act as you guided?

Edited by alpha17
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, K.o.N.o.S said:

Sharing one of my earlier experiences. I Once ordered a blackberry phone through EBay and back then I didn’t know they put soo much tax on mobile phones. I went to kandy main post office and they unboxed the package In front of me and said ‘sir phone genna ba 10k vitara tax gewanna wei’. I somehow talked them out and they agreed to a sum of mere 700rupees to release the phone..” Sir ayeth phone genna epa this is the last time” they said. In my opinion You have to act according to the situation.

Same for me; first time they said the same thing to me. But I got another 3 phones lately without any issues.

Never happened any issues with vehicle parts and electronics. Most of them reached my home.

@alpha17 be genuine tell the truth they won't like if you lie. Keep in mind most of parcels marking as gifts no problem with that. But they open stuffs in front of you sometimes sellers including visiting cards, some notes ...etc. inside the package. Hope that you won't face a situation like that. That is why I asked to be honest ?.

• Like 1

First phone I bought from eBay was a old Sony Ericsson; they promptly detained it and had to pay the tax (less than 1k tho) to get it released. Bought about 6 smartphones after that, all of them arrived to the doorstep with no issue. 

@alpha17 if you can get someone working at the customs/post to accompany you I don't think there would be any issues; you'll prolly get the item cleared with zero tax :D

Edited by Hyaenidae
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Guys, Went to collect the package today to Kandy Post office. Got without any taxation as contacted a known person. Product is faultless and in good condition. Briefly tested at my car audio guy and so far producing really deep, nice sound for the size(Tested in a room, not in the spare well). Going to install it by day after tomorrow. Fits in the spare tire, but requires a new screw to hold it. I'll give a review after fixing it☺️