• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Best car for family use

Gatsby

Question

Hi experts,

I'm hoping to buy a car failing under 4.5 million. Budget can be adjusted according to the selection. Travel distance will be maximum 700 Km per month. There fore fuel economy wont be a big issue and seeking for comfortable ride with less maintenance. Modern technologies (At least cruise control) expected from the car rather than conventional car. Following selections were made after went through the forum.

# Honda grace 2014

# Mazda 3 2014

# Honda civic FD 4 (Non hybrid)

I'm not much more interest on hybrid vehicles since they need more maintenance and drastically reduction of resale value (Hoping to use the car for around 6 years).

Considering all the facts i have a little bit favor for Honda civic FD 4 although it comes under around 3.7 million. I went through the forum and couldn't find information about civic.

It will be great if u support me to finalize my selection and ur suggestions will be appreciated.

Thank u

12 answers to this question

26 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

Hi experts,

I'm hoping to buy a car failing under 4.5 million. Budget can be adjusted according to the selection. Travel distance will be maximum 700 Km per month. There fore fuel economy wont be a big issue and seeking for comfortable ride with less maintenance. Modern technologies (At least cruise control) expected from the car rather than conventional car. Following selections were made after went through the forum.

# Honda grace 2014

# Mazda 3 2014

I'm not much more interest on hybrid vehicles since they need more maintenance and drastically reduction of resale value (Hoping to use the car for around 6 years).

Considering all the facts i have a little bit favor for Honda civic FD 4 although it comes under around 3.7 million. I went through the forum and couldn't find information about civic.

It will be great if u support me to finalize my selection and ur suggestions will be appreciated.

Thank u

Welcome to the forum and I must say it's a pleasure to see that you have already started on the right path. You will get a newer car if you go for a Mazda 3  - so If i were you i'd look for the  Mazda and at the same time keep my eye open for a FD4. If you do by any chance stumble upon an absolute peach of an FD4 then go for it or else look for a Mazda 3. Both are nice cars. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

Hi experts,

# Honda grace 2014

# Mazda 3 2014

Thank u

Suggest you go for the Mazda 3 as FD 4 will be 2007-2008

You should also consider Lancer EX and the Corolla 141, you may be able to find a 2010-2013 within your budget

If your lucky a 2013 up Civic 9th Gen FB, there were few brought by companies and on permits which are completing 5 years

• Like 1

Thanks for ur suggestion matroska & kush..

Considering the way going on sri lanka, brand like mazda will not have a considerable second hand market value  aftr a 5 6 years. At that point i doubt, value of money expending for the mazda 3 will be effective or not. Since im not a ultra rich person resale value also matter to me   ? 

If there is anyone driving Honda FD4 non hybrid car, would like to hear ur experience with it.

Thank u

Edited by Gatsby

17 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

Considering the way going on sri lanka, brand like mazda will not have a considerable second hand market value  aftr a 5 6 years. At that point i doubt, value of money expending for the mazda 3 will be effective or not. Since im not a ultra rich person resale value also matter to me   ? 

If there is anyone driving Honda FD4 non hybrid car, would like to hear ur experience with it.

Thank u

And exactly what makes you think that ''mazda will not have a considerable second hand market value after 5 or 6 years". What exactly do you mean by 'second hand market value'?

• Like 1

Dear Crosswind,

I meant resale value after 5 6 yrs. In sri lanka mazda is not a reputed brand like Toyota, honda. I tried to convinced mazda will depreciate (Value) more than the toyota honda..

Im not a well known person of this area. But thats my idea. Hope to hear urs...

Edited by Gatsby

33 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

not a reputed brand like Toyota, honda. I tried to convinced mazda will depreciate (Value) more than the toyota honda..

I'd like to hear your opinion on this then

On 2/6/2019 at 9:06 PM, Hyaenidae said:

And how... look at these 2 adverts

Civic FD4 2011, 1st owner, 58k kms, 2017-August

Rs. 4,490,000

http://www.autolanka.com/view/honda/civic/43528.html

Civic FD4 2011, 1st owner, 67k kms, 2018-August

Rs. 3,975,000

http://www.autolanka.com/view/honda/civic/61857.html

Keep in mind that these 2 adverts were put up by the same car sale, so just 1 year and 10k kms later the depreciation is a staggering Rs. 515,000!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

Dear Crosswind,

I meant resale value after 5 6 yrs. In sri lanka mazda is not a reputed brand like Toyota, honda. I tried to convinced mazda will depreciate (Value) more than the toyota honda..

Im not a well known person of this area. But thats my idea. Hope to hear urs...

Get a Allion or a Premio should be within your budget if you go for a 2007-8

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

Hi Hyaenidae

Your example is a good one for how depreciate vehicles with time and usage. But i'm saying depreciation of mazda will be more than toyota, honda..

Thank u

I've already looked at Mazdas, couldn't find a model which depreciated by a considerable amount as these Hondas did.

Goes to show you cannot predict depreciation by just looking at the badge. 

Edited by Hyaenidae

15 hours ago, Gatsby said:

I'm focusing on these two also kush. Big issue is that these two arent facilitated at least with cruise control. and its very hard to find a gd specimen..

Believe me cruise control is not much of use, unless in the expressway with light traffic. With idiots doing 80kmph in the center lane you will be in and out of cruise and i find it easier to drive with out. Only advantage i find is that you could keep to the legal speed as it is a pain driving at 100.

Unless you are a frequent user of the highway don't bother. Check for other options like climate control, lumbar support on the seat, good quality sound system that will be more useful in your day to day drive.

20 hours ago, Gatsby said:

Thank u

This is just a story that is woven by car salesmen and the so called know-nothing car-pundits with blinders on (when these people wanted to palm off Hybrid Axelas, Mazda was the the best brand around according to them). You can buy a newer and much better spec''d Mazda for a far more reasonable price than a Toyota. The Toyotas are over priced and 90% of the day to day models are abused, patched up and sold off.  So you are paying a lot more money for a highly questionable car that is much older than you would with the Mazda.

So you buy a Mazda for a reasonable price and you will be able to sell it at a reasonable price. When you sell off the car in about 6-7 years your car will be a decade old or more older. At that point what should be more important is the condition of the vehicle rather than the badge. But...true...Mazda buyers are a select type of buyers...not the hordes and hordes of Toyota-higana types who would buy any P.O.S for a fortune just because it has a Toyota badge on it.

• Like 3