• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Brake Roters - Resurface vs Replacement

Malkoba

Hello experts, I would like to have your opinions about the following matter.

The impacted car is Prius 3rd Gen (2012). Can happen to any car though :)

I was out of country for a while and the car was driven by my spouse. When I'm back, I saw a tiny groove on driver side brake roter. I The brake pads were worn out, but the metal indicator was not set with the previous brake pads, hence no metal sound. Regardless, I replaced the brake pads with OEM parts from GS Auto. The mechanic recommended to resurface the front roters due to the groove saying it will impact the brake pads and the braking.

My Questions are

1. is resurfacing really worth when compared to replacing?
  2. Or even resurfacing is really needed when you have a groove which is about 1-2 millimeters in width and depth?
  3. If replacing is better, I would go with OEM parts. Any idea on the cost margins
  4. Anything specific to keep an eye on

Thanks in advance.

So your main concern is whether the damage/groove would affect braking performance and brake pad wear correct? If the groove is really 1mm wide, my experience is that it won’t make a difference in braking performance. Brake pad wear won’t be significant either.

The main thing to look for is whether the car would shudder (i.e. vibration from brakes causing wheels to wobble) under heavy braking.  If there is no shudder or significant noise under braking, I wouldn’t worry about it too much.

An experienced lathe fella can check the tolerances and resurface the rotors, if it has been done previously or if the cut is too deep, then let them go. Besides they are kinda cheap after market too, agents may quote and enormous sum but plenty available after market in good brands ex brembo Tokiko etc Rs 7000 upwards a corner, expect double with the agent

Also if I recall the regen system takes most of the deceleration braking force, if so why did yours wear out so fast, just get that checked, i;ve heard of hybrids running like 60000km for a set of pads and leafs go like 80000km as the regen does the work.

Thanks for the replies.

I have to replace pads like every 40k because of my driving styles. ?

You are absolutely correct tiv. TL quoted 23k per disk.Not going there to buy anyway :)

Today I checked some hard breaking, One was about to hit a rear of an axio. missed by couple of inches. but didn't feel any wobble or anything. no pulling to a side as well. So does this mean that its good with the current disk?

On 2/13/2019 at 6:08 PM, Malkoba said:

Thanks for the replies.

I have to replace pads like every 40k because of my driving styles. ?

You are absolutely correct tiv. TL quoted 23k per disk.Not going there to buy anyway :)

Today I checked some hard breaking, One was about to hit a rear of an axio. missed by couple of inches. but didn't feel any wobble or anything. no pulling to a side as well. So does this mean that its good with the current disk?

Sounds good but Get it checked, don't risk it