Jump to content
  • Welcome to AutoLanka

    :action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

sfernando

Honda CRV vs Mithubishi Montero

Recommended Posts

Hi All,

I am looking to buy either of those 2 vehicles and my budget is 9 million or just above that.

Montero 2013 diesel

Honda CRV 1.5 2017-2018

Please suggest which option is best considering

Rider comfort, look, after sale value and maintenance.

BTW : I am not planned to use these for off road purposes and therefore please do not consider that.

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You will not find a decent Montero for your budget

CRV has more equipment, space in 1st 2nd rows, more economical, faster

Only plus point in the Montero is off road ability which is not a priority for you

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Montero is going to be costly to run, but will probably hold value, I doubt the 1.5l CRV will be faster though, even with a 2.8 Montero let alone the 3.2 4m41,

CRVs are dropping as usual

the CRV is going to be more comfortable given that it doesn't have the 4wd gear and off road spec suspension, again the rear seats on the CRV are nothing to brag about. 

Above all you will not find a montero in that budget, esp in auto transmission. Even if it comes close mileage will be over 100k so you have a certain array of maintenance to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, tiv said:

The Montero is going to be costly to run, but will probably hold value, I doubt the 1.5l CRV will be faster though, even with a 2.8 Montero let alone the 3.2 4m41,

 

Monti 3.2 (4M41) has 200 bhp lugging 2300kg

CRV 1.5L 190 bhp has to carry only 1600kg it is all about power to weight not the engine size

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kush said:

Monti 3.2 (4M41) has 200 bhp lugging 2300kg

CRV 1.5L 190 bhp has to carry only 1600kg it is all about power to weight not the engine size

Not a fair comparison anyway since the Montero is diesel , it has a lot more torque to pull 2300KG. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, kush said:

Monti 3.2 (4M41) has 200 bhp lugging 2300kg

CRV 1.5L 190 bhp has to carry only 1600kg it is all about power to weight not the engine size

With half the torque? and a cvt?

test driving is better than wikipedia

Edited by tiv
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheFlyingFox said:

Not a fair comparison anyway since the Montero is diesel 

Yup the CR-V would be definitely better on acceleration, Monty is a hardcore off roader with a great towing capability

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tiv said:

With half the torque? and a cvt?

test driving is better than wikipedia

Driven both

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its like comparing apples and oranges.

A used iPhone x vs brandnew oranges from the supermarket. Its that different.

The crv is a much smaller vehicle. It goes with the mitsubishi outlander, which is below both the monty and the sport.

The Montero has tried and tested tech. While the crv has all new tech. And from how the resent hondas did in the market. The gear box issues etc. Its a gamble.

The crv has an engine thats half the size of the monty and to squeeze in the horses it has to work hard which will produce early wear on the engine. 

The montero is a much better vehicle reliable and not that hard to maintain. It has good mid range torque making it easy for overtaking than the petrol rivals. But the monty suffers from some bodyroll in the corners comapre to softroaders.

The only issue is that for your budget you wont be able to find a well looked after 2013 one.

Ive been on a search for a friend and those in your budget have been hacked to death

A good example may fetch close to 10million or more so if your not going to go there you might as well go to the other alternative.

But what i can asure you is a well maintained 6year old montero will last more than a crv rolling of the factory.

It will have less problems, and they would be easily sorted.

Will be more spacious.

Will hold much better value come resale time.

Its more prestigious (compared to the crv). More road presence.

Its a proper offroader with low ratio and diff lock if you fancy even once in a while.

Been using montys for around 15 years and never let me down.

 

Edited by Clark'sson
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree with Clark'sson due to current tax structure vehicles with high capacity engines will hold value better.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/13/2019 at 8:33 PM, Clark'sson said:

Its like comparing apples and oranges.

A used iPhone x vs brandnew oranges from the supermarket. Its that different.

The crv is a much smaller vehicle. It goes with the mitsubishi outlander, which is below both the monty and the sport.

The Montero has tried and tested tech. While the crv has all new tech. And from how the resent hondas did in the market. The gear box issues etc. Its a gamble.

The crv has an engine thats half the size of the monty and to squeeze in the horses it has to work hard which will produce early wear on the engine. 

The montero is a much better vehicle reliable and not that hard to maintain. It has good mid range torque making it easy for overtaking than the petrol rivals. But the monty suffers from some bodyroll in the corners comapre to softroaders.

The only issue is that for your budget you wont be able to find a well looked after 2013 one.

Ive been on a search for a friend and those in your budget have been hacked to death

A good example may fetch close to 10million or more so if your not going to go there you might as well go to the other alternative.

But what i can asure you is a well maintained 6year old montero will last more than a crv rolling of the factory.

It will have less problems, and they would be easily sorted.

Will be more spacious.

Will hold much better value come resale time.

Its more prestigious (compared to the crv). More road presence.

Its a proper offroader with low ratio and diff lock if you fancy even once in a while.

Been using montys for around 15 years and never let me down.

 

Thanks. Any discomfort when going on long trips?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/18/2019 at 5:53 AM, sfernando said:

Thanks. Any discomfort when going on long trips?

Well , it certainly is not a very plush ride mind you. Suspension is quite hard & Doesn't absorb road bumps as my previous HT32 did , but i found it slightly less bumpy than the Prado 150 (Tx), but that's me (my pals who have the J150 beg to differ)  My momma & wife don't like it as much as the X-trail complaining its a bumpy ride at the rear. But for me superb visibility with a good driving position , decent torque & pick up , good road presence (people dont cut across you as much in the road)  , rear wheel drive,  go anywhere capability, and decent room inside - 7 seats & cave for loading luggage with dual AC are definite (+)s. Minuses will be the diesel rattle , body vibration, body roll and heavy steering (its' a proper diesel rig ) But i guess the V6 3L or 3.8L may be much more pleasant rides due to the quiet & smooth motor, with a better engine note (Haven't driven the petrol versions).

 Burnt my hands with the hybrid X-trail and its' many complications , so content with the Monty being a bare bones car-  i get a lot of stuff from UK / online as they have the shogun, at a fraction of the agent's price albeit better quality. plenty of literature available on the web on maintenance as this car is very popular in Aussie, UK ,Russia etc.  and 4M41 is a time tested engine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/13/2019 at 12:29 PM, kush said:

Monti 3.2 (4M41) has 200 bhp lugging 2300kg

CRV 1.5L 190 bhp has to carry only 1600kg it is all about power to weight not the engine size

Just for fun, check this out

Stock 1.5L NA MT Toyota VIOS  vs Stock 3.0L TURBO AT Hilux Vigo Drag race (Watch with subtitles ON, this guy is hilarious :D

Guess which would win before watching the video.

 

Stock 1.5L NA MT Toyota VIOS  vs Stock 2.5L TURBO MT Hilux Vigo

 

 

 

Edited by Hyaenidae
Greentext

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Sadik said:

Well , it certainly is not a very plush ride mind you. Suspension is quite hard & Doesn't absorb road bumps as my previous HT32 did , but i found it slightly less bumpy than the Prado 150 (Tx), but that's me (my pals who have the J150 beg to differ)  My momma & wife don't like it as much as the X-trail complaining its a bumpy ride at the rear. But for me superb visibility with a good driving position , decent torque & pick up , good road presence (people dont cut across you as much in the road)  , rear wheel drive,  go anywhere capability, and decent room inside - 7 seats & cave for loading luggage with dual AC are definite (+)s. Minuses will be the diesel rattle , body vibration, body roll and heavy steering (its' a proper diesel rig ) But i guess the V6 3L or 3.8L may be much more pleasant rides due to the quiet & smooth motor, with a better engine note (Haven't driven the petrol versions).

 Burnt my hands with the hybrid X-trail and its' many complications , so content with the Monty being a bare bones car-  i get a lot of stuff from UK / online as they have the shogun, at a fraction of the agent's price albeit better quality. plenty of literature available on the web on maintenance as this car is very popular in Aussie, UK ,Russia etc.  and 4M41 is a time tested engine. 

Rear seats of the Monte, Prado or even the Land Cruiser was never known for being comfortable. And the due to ride height you get thrown all over the place when cornering.

CRV, Rav 4, X trail are designed with more comfort in mind for the passengers and handles much better than off roads, but at the expense of marginal off road ability. (in fact useless in Sri Lankan context where we don't get snow) 

Two different vehicle classes with each there will be pluses and compromises

You will need to decide with your requirements.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register for a new account in our community. It's easy and FREE!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×