• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Using engine oil 10w-30 instead of 5w-30

madusha94

Question

My car is Suzuki alto japan 2017. According to the owner's manual, car manufacturer recommends 0w-20 or 5W-30 engine oil. But the previous owner has used 10w-30 oil.
Since I live in Colombo, does it matter if I use 10W or 5W?

I have read that less viscous oil tend to break under high temperatures.
Which oil is better for the engine life w-20 or w-30?

6 answers to this question

New engines have tiny passages which the oil must flow, using a heavy oil may reduce the flow to certain areas. Always try to use what the manufacturer states, they know the car better than anyone. Out of the 0w 20 and 5w 30 I would choose 5w 30 since SL has a hot climate, higher viscosity oil can maintain its composure better at higher ambient temps. 

9 hours ago, madusha94 said:

My car is Suzuki alto japan 2017. According to the owner's manual, car manufacturer recommends 0w-20 or 5W-30 engine oil. But the previous owner has used 10w-30 oil.

HI, Don't worry abt the winter rating, as it does not apply to Colombo where there is no winter,./?

I'd also go with the advice given by The flying fox.

Cheers.

TT.

11 hours ago, madusha94 said:

10w-30 is way too thick for the 660cc engine and nowhere recommended by the manufacturer, most likely used a cheap oil too as the below are mostly synthetic

its 0w-16 / 0w-20 or 5w-30 according to climate and if Turbo its always 5w-30, I'd go change the oil right now with flush

and if he has run the engine for high miles, expect premature wear due to delayed oil flow, esp during start stop 

Thicker oil tends to clog up the oil channels and also most noobs put the cheap 10w-30 oil (mineral) and run 10,000km the normal wagon R service interval, check the wagon R fb page, many horror stories of lumps of oil in the cams by doing this

and your fuel economy must be really bad.

also expect more stupid / cheap changes and parts by the previous owner and get them rectified, and don't buy cars from people like this

Edited by tiv

1 hour ago, madusha94 said:

According to above shouldn't I be using the less viscous 0w-20 instead of 5w-30?

10w 30 is a heavier oil than 5w 30. 0w 20 and 5w 30 are what the manufacturer recommends for different climates. Cold climates 0w 20 will be sufficient and hot climates 5w 30. As @tiv said if it’s a turbo it’s definite 5w 30 as the engine is anyway getting hotter due to the turbo.