• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

nuwanz

Question

Hello experts, I'm regular reader in autolanka forum. I wanted to purchase a vehicle within a month of time. 

I travel

- 15kms per day usually ( not in heavy traffic I'm working from home)

- Weekly trip aroumd 50kms.

- 1/2 times a month long trips aroumd 200-300kms. 

- For the long trips high ground cleareance is essential

- Most of the time 2 to 3 people will travel

- Right now I'm riding a motor cycle. 

- My budget is around 2 - 2.5million.

- Looking for something fun to drive but do atleast 15kmpl in long trips.

- I dont care weather its a wagon, hatchback, sedan, suv or a van if it is in my price range. 

Looking forward to see your valauble feedback. 

Thank you.

18 answers to this question

18 minutes ago, nuwanz said:

Hello experts, I'm regular reader in autolanka forum. I wanted to purchase a vehicle within a month of time. 

I travel

- I dont care weather its a wagon, hatchback, sedan, suv or a van if it is in my price range. 

Thank you.

Suzuki swift HT51S (jeep model)

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, nuwanz said:

I travel

Thank you.

Lancer CS2/CS3. CS1 would be good too if you're OK with a 1.3L engine. It's a little less fun to drive when compared with CS2 or CS3.

You can buy a 2006+ one for your budget (CS1, manual) - that's newer than most Jap sedans you can buy for this budget.

CS1 and CS3 which were imported brand new by the agent have the high ground clearance suspension. Stock suspension has 165mm ground clearance AFAIK.

There are plenty of CS1 cars to choose from; you might be able to find an absolute minter like this one - CS2 and CS3 ones are a bit hard to come by.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nuwanz said:

I travel

Thank you.

Since your doing a lot of long trips opposed to city traffic a sedan will be quite comfortable , something like a lancer or sunny. I’m not sure if they would do around 15 though. If you can compromise a little on economy I think you can get a relatively new Ford Focus (2011) for around 2.5M which is lot of car for the money. Everything Japanese for that price range is quite old. 

Economy and ground clearance the Suzuki Swift/Cruze which came before the “beetle” model would be the best pick. Simple and reliable too. 

Edited by TheFlyingFox

1 hour ago, TheFlyingFox said:

Since your doing a lot of long trips opposed to city traffic a sedan will be quite comfortable , something like a lancer or sunny. I’m not sure if they would do around 15 though.

CS1 manual can do 15+ outstation easily if you keep the fuel economy in mind... CS3 does better though

Edited by Hyaenidae

Thank you Hyaenidae, I will check those cars. Only being in a viva elite once (manual). A felt a bit basic for the long journey.

I will add the other two to my list. Really like the look of Picanto. For so far. 

+ Lancer CS 1

+ Kai Picanto

+ Perodua Axia

I will also look for ford focus haven't found anything for less than 2.5 mn.

I will inspect these cars within the next 2/3 days. If you have more suggestions please let me know. 

Highly appreciate your help. 

2 hours ago, TheFlyingFox said:

Economy and ground clearance the Suzuki Swift/Cruze which came before the “beetle” model would be the best pick. Simple and reliable too

Amen to that...my father in law has a 2004 cruze the trips we've had on those are countless specially in  poor roads. He travels a lot and he travels a lot on horrible outstation roads and I'm stunned how that car keeps going. 

4 hours ago, nuwanz said:

checked the cruze but feels bit cramped inside. I'm 6 foot and bit heavy ?.

I'm 5'11 and weigh 85kg didn't find it too difficult in the front. But the car is NOT comfortable.  If you think of a Colombo-Trinco trip for example its not very pleasant. Overall a Lancer CS will be a good option.

40 minutes ago, nuwanz said:

Kai Picanto

+ Perodua Axia

If you can't fit into a swift/cruze these two are big no-nos. 

If comfort is a concern maybe a Bluebird sylphy circa 2002?

• Like 1

Thank You matroska for comments. I will check Cruze again. The one I checked had bigger sheets. May be it's the reason for lack of space. when I sit on the driving sheet very less space for the rear passenger. This may also be caused by larger sheets.

Thanks again for saving my time regarding the small cars. No experience regarding Bluebird sylphy circa 2002 I will add it to my list. 

+ Lancer cs 1

+ Sylphy circa

Any idea regrading the honda fit (not hybrid) car. Checked the car on the way seems like it has more space. 

Also found a turbo mini van daihatsu atari 2017 is it any good? Don't like the pickup of wagon r are they same? 660cc turbo engine equal to 1000cc?

Also checked cs1 very good space. Not a slow car either manual rides good. But unfotunatly not maintained well. Will check few in coming days.

Looking forward ro see your valuable comments. 

8 minutes ago, nuwanz said:

Any idea regrading the honda fit (not hybrid) car. Checked the car on the way seems like it has more space.

If you're looking at the GE6, it was recalled for an engine oil burning issue (along with the GP1) - the permanent fix was to replace the piston kit with redesigned ones.

Read the discussion on engine oil burning issue here

Official Recall notice by Honda here

11 hours ago, nuwanz said:

The non hybrid Fit is a very versatile car - doesn't have the greatest ground clearance  - my cousin has been using a 2009 one for 8 years now and running smoothly. Spacious car and great head-space specially since you mentioned you're tall. Ideal car for family use, quite nippy as well. 

11 hours ago, Hyaenidae said:

If you're looking at the GE6, it was recalled for an engine oil burning issue (along with the GP1) - the permanent fix was to replace the piston kit with redesigned ones.

OP - please check Hyaenidaes link - there is a series of VIN #'s and manufacture dates - probably 2011-2012 bunch would be affected. look for one outside the range and you're good to go - I think anyway 2008, 2009 ones are unaffected majority of gE6' in sri lanka were 2010 models imported in around 2011-2012. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you. I will keep that in mind. 

Lancer cs1 vs honda fit is in my priority list now. Both are attractive and spaciouse for me. 

Also Any idea on 660cc turbo charged engine vans? I have zero experience regarding them. Found daihatsu atari turbo wagon 2017 (un reg) around 2.5 million.