• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Issue with Honda CR-V 2018 JDM

nsiva

So

On 7/14/2019 at 11:27 AM, MADNESSSsss said:

Alternatively are there any aftermarket headunits available in Sri Lanka? (Belsee, Joying?) There are quite a few brands offering these headunits on AliExpress but they cost 50k+ and shipping which might be a pain to clear from customs

So I did find one of these aftermarket headunits (Android) in a shop in Kohuwela. They said it was 30K so I asked if I could check it out.
It was a generic no name headunit, so I thought 30k would be decent if it actually works rather than this Gathers headunit on which I couldn't do much on.
Then the shop owner came and said "Sorry pren, the price is akshually 70k". Wasting 30k on a no name headunit was a bit of a concern but justifiable, but 70k? Not so much.

For that price you could get a good branded one.

What exactly can you do with your Gathers

I have a Toyota with standard NSZT-Y66T,  Audio works (Radio up to 95 MHz, SD card, CD, Bluetooth), Video (DVD, SD), some of the vehicle information like economy figures. Telephone hands free functions.

You need to get used to Japanese menus with google translate until you get familiarize with the system.  

What does not work is the Navigation, TV, traffic management and Toyota remote assist functions.

Even if you fit a aftermarket unit some of the functions linked to vehicle ECU may not work.

Audio and screen quality of the original is far superior to no name Chinese and unless you go for a very high end branded set you are unlikely to find something better.

3 hours ago, kush said:

For that price you could get a good branded one.

Thing is, there aren't any branded headunits for the CRV 2018. It's mostly Chinese Android headunits (Joying, Belsee)

Some of the 'Chinese' branded ones are decent because you can install mods like Viper4Android to boost the audio quality + can do anything you can do on a typical Android + screenshare your phone

3 hours ago, kush said:

What exactly can you do with your Gathers

I have a Toyota with standard NSZT-Y66T,  Audio works (Radio up to 95 MHz, SD card, CD, Bluetooth), Video (DVD, SD), some of the vehicle information like economy figures. Telephone hands free functions.

You need to get used to Japanese menus with google translate until you get familiarize with the system.  

What does not work is the Navigation, TV, traffic management and Toyota remote assist functions.

Even if you fit a aftermarket unit some of the functions linked to vehicle ECU may not work.

Audio and screen quality of the original is far superior to no name Chinese and unless you go for a very high end branded set you are unlikely to find something better

Audio : Radio up to 90MHz, SD Card, CD, Bluetooth.
Video : Not too sure about DVD,  TV doesn't work here
Navigation doesn't work as well. 

Apple Car Play works according to @danss70 but for people who prefer Android, no show in that department :(

• 1 month later...

Honda Gathers VRU 195 CVI has no option to change the language. 
These SD cards are stolen by the port people mostly. There is no extra money needed to buy SD card at Japan when you buy the vehicle. Normally Japanese exporters send the SD card by courier to the importer (dealer here) with spare key. 

Edited by RTM

I am using a Chinese head unit on my Sorento for almost 2 years now.  No issues so far. Audio quality is excellent. And it has all the features including Apple Car Play / Android Auto.  

Google maps works like a charm and pretty smooth. Signal reception is excellent even on cloudy days. 

You may try on AliBaba rather than AliExpress and talk directly to the supplier. You could get a unit almost $100 cheaper than AliExpress.

Also, I paid around 2500 LKR for custom clearance and it came directly to home with EMS shipping.  

13 hours ago, RTM said:

Honda Gathers VRU 195 CVI has no option to change the language. 
These SD cards are stolen by the port people mostly. There is no extra money needed to buy SD card at Japan when you buy the vehicle. Normally Japanese exporters send the SD card by courier to the importer (dealer here) with spare key. 

Got the spare key, but no SD Card yet :(

2 hours ago, JayZ said:

I am using a Chinese head unit on my Sorento for almost 2 years now.  No issues so far. Audio quality is excellent. And it has all the features including Apple Car Play / Android Auto.  

Google maps works like a charm and pretty smooth. Signal reception is excellent even on cloudy days. 

You may try on AliBaba rather than AliExpress and talk directly to the supplier. You could get a unit almost $100 cheaper than AliExpress.

Also, I paid around 2500 LKR for custom clearance and it came directly to home with EMS shipping.  

Hi,

What was the price you paid for the head unit?. Do you still have the link to the product you bought from Alibaba ?

Please let share with me.

Thanks

18 minutes ago, raveeJaya said:

Hi,

What was the price you paid for the head unit?. Do you still have the link to the product you bought from Alibaba ?

Please let share with me.

Thanks

Total price was around 350 USD.  This included Head unit + TPMS system + OBD Connector + High Res reverse cam with moving guide lines + Shipping. 

I cannot find the links.  Sorry.

Joying is a good brand if you can find a fitting unit.  My model didn't had any fitting Joying unit. They only had generic modules. 

1 minute ago, JayZ said:

Total price was around 350 USD.  This included Head unit + TPMS system + OBD Connector + High Res reverse cam with moving guide lines + Shipping. 

I cannot find the links.  Sorry.

Joying is a good brand if you can find a fitting unit.  My model didn't had any fitting Joying unit. They only had generic modules. 

Ok Thank you for the information.

@MADNESSSsss - I faced the same situation. Looked like our one got nicked at the port. Tried a few options like fitting a Chinese head unit that came for the CRV. It was Android and costed about 55k. There was no need to do anything to the wiring since it was simply plug and play. But it had some issues and thought the best option would be to find a map card. Attached some pictures of it. 

There’s this place I go to for my audio stuff In Kandy since a few years now and that guy found a map card but it costed me 20k. But I’ve never been happier. Apple CarPlay works like a charm, which is all I wanted for now. I remember him having a few extra ones as well, so let me know. 

DAA5B2FB-069E-4487-9F26-760E2DB83DDC.jpeg

29ECC949-3D46-49EB-8AE7-9F42535557E4.jpeg

• Like 1

You cant match the original unit unless you have a very deep budget

I was fortunate to get the SD card (importer shipped it separately with the extra key)

Once you get used to the menu with little bit of juggling and google translate frustration goes off

I have Toyota NSZT-Y66T which has only Japanese menu (no option to change the language)

9" of HD display, FM up to 95, CD/DVD, SD, Bluetooth of cause TV and Navi which does not work here

Initially I was not happy with the sound quality then i discovered it was in default, toggling around the menus I found settings that has so many customization options that i have never seen in any of the aftermarkets even at higher end.

My only issue us that the unit does not play FLAC, not bothered about Navi as I have got used to the phone

Best is to use the unit for couple of months to see whether you really want a change.

11 hours ago, RTM said:

I will try to find one for you. I can understand the situation because I was finding a sd card for my grace for two years. 

Looks like luck came knocking as the agents had got down the SD Card yesterday (after 3 months +)....  But thank you so much for the offer to help :)

4 hours ago, kce991 said:

@MADNESSSsss - I faced the same situation. Looked like our one got nicked at the port. Tried a few options like fitting a Chinese head unit that came for the CRV. It was Android and costed about 55k. There was no need to do anything to the wiring since it was simply plug and play. But it had some issues and thought the best option would be to find a map card. Attached some pictures of it. 

Seems like I will get the SD Card after all from the agents. 
But I'm curious about the issues you had with the Chinese head unit... Was the audio quality not up to par or was it something else?

I had a similar Android headunit in my previous vehicle, and since it had Android with a bit of tinkering it was pretty awesome..

• Like 1

@MADNESSSsss audio quality was good. The resolution and the menu was good too. When you change the climate settings it appeared in the head unit, also you could meddle with the time and other settings which then got reflected on the multi-information display in the dashboard. You could also change climate settings from it. 

Cons for me - 

1. Unavailability of Apple CarPlay 

2. There was a configuration that made it think the car was left hand drive. So when you steer right while reversing the guidelines turned the opposite way. It worked fine the first few days then all of a sudden switched to being LHD. 

3. Also I liked the proper guidelines in the Gathers with the 3 camera options, which I missed while using the Android unit.

To be honest I didn’t spend a lot of time with it to give you a proper review. I just felt it wasn’t worth 55,000. Since the Kenwood ones I’ve bought before in the same range had much better audio quality.  Therefore decided to buy the map SD card for 20,000.

Can't seem to change the time from the settings as I heard that it auto updates from the dongle connected to the headunit in Japan, but since it doesn't work here, we are stuck with Japanese time. (Not 100% sure)

Maybe there is a way to change the timezone through the GPS settings and fix it (that's what is being done in the above video?)

On 10/12/2019 at 8:19 AM, kce991 said:

@MADNESSSsss audio quality was good. The resolution and the menu was good too. When you change the climate settings it appeared in the head unit, also you could meddle with the time and other settings which then got reflected on the multi-information display in the dashboard. You could also change climate settings from it. 

Cons for me - 

1. Unavailability of Apple CarPlay 

2. There was a configuration that made it think the car was left hand drive. So when you steer right while reversing the guidelines turned the opposite way. It worked fine the first few days then all of a sudden switched to being LHD. 

3. Also I liked the proper guidelines in the Gathers with the 3 camera options, which I missed while using the Android unit.

To be honest I didn’t spend a lot of time with it to give you a proper review. I just felt it wasn’t worth 55,000. Since the Kenwood ones I’ve bought before in the same range had much better audio quality.  Therefore decided to buy the map SD card for 20,000.

@kce991 I think the issues you ran in to could've been fixed with a bit of tinkering on Android but guess you are more than happy with the Gathers system though :D  
Were you able to fix the time on Gathers? Or did the time not reset after you fixed it with the Android system and then changed to Gathers again?

Finally got my SD Card last Friday so been playing around with it a bit. :D
The FM band limitation, language and the time issue are my only gripes as the sound quality is pretty good.

Might stick with this for a while and see if my OCD kicks in and bug me for a fully functional non Jap headunit :P

@kce991 did you return/sell your Android headunit?