• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Fuel injectors cutting off while coasting downhill in gear

KasuNila

Hi guys. A new member here.

So after having Mitubishi CS1 (2001) for almost 8 years, I sold it last week & hoping to buy a corolla 141 (2007 or 2008) soon. I know that itz fuel consumption is slightly low compared to other same price range cars, But It doesn't really concern me too much as my earlier car too was a heavy drinker.

So what I wanted to know is few days ago one of my friends told me, on his car when you take the foot off the gas when you are going downhill, the injectors cut off the fuel supply to the engine and you can drive the car for free (with no fuel consumption). So having done a bit of research on it I know that this tech is only available in some new cars. 

Is that technology available on corolla 141 (2007-2008 / automatic transmission) too? 

looking forward to hearing from you guys.. thanks

Edited by KasuNila

54 minutes ago, alpha17 said:

From what I’ve heard almost all the EFI engines do so.Your previous lancer may have had this system too.

Anyway your driving pattern might have a huge effect on fuel economy too.

Thanks for your reply mate.  Well... may be it had. But I never tried it. coz there wasn't any MPG display(indicator) to check it. not even a eco light. and also it was a manual transmission one. So every time I used to go downhill in neutral. But do you really think such tech in a 18 years old car? 

And yeah, driving pattern do have a huge impact on fuel economy. No sudden accelerations, Maintain a steady speed, Avoid high speeds. I've tried all ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hyaenidae said:

Well, the new Lancer (EX/CY) has this - how do I know? When you're going downhill with your foot off the accelerator the momentary fuel economy indicator maxes out :D

Yp. that's the easiest way to check it. Though the fuel economy indicator maxes out, RPM remains unchanged (doesn't come down to idle) right?

Edited by KasuNila

12 minutes ago, KasuNila said:

Thanks for your reply mate.  Well... may be it had. But I never tried it. coz there wasn't any MPG display(indicator) to check it. not even a eco light.

Does the 141 has a momentary fuel economy display? I don't remember it having one. Not even an avg FE display.

12 minutes ago, Hyaenidae said:

Does the 141 has a momentary fuel economy display? I don't remember it having one. Not even an avg FE display.

The one made for US market (2008) has a momentary fuel economy display. No idea about SL one. I thought SL one has it too. ?

Edited by KasuNila

13 minutes ago, KasuNila said:

The one made for US market (2008) has. No idea about SL one. I thought SL one got it too. 

I've driven one for some time and don't remember it having a momentary FE display... If it had one I never saw it

Edit: found a YT video, US one has it. So our one should have it too considering TL imported the international export version... 

Edited by Hyaenidae

3 minutes ago, Hyaenidae said:

I've driven one for some time and don't remember it having a momentary FE display... If it had one I never saw it

I'm hoping to inspect a couple of cars (141) next week. Let's see. if it doesn't, I'll go for a Axio. Please say Axio X limited (2008) has a momentary fuel economy display ??

11 minutes ago, KasuNila said:

I'm hoping to inspect a couple of cars (141) next week. Let's see. if it doesn't, I'll go for a Axio. Please say Axio X limited (2008) has a momentary fuel economy display ??

Seriously, you'll drop the 141 if it doesn't have a momentary FE display? If I were you I'll go for the 141 over the Axio X any day...

After looking up it on YT I'm about 80% sure that it had one and I missed it - it was a rental car so I didn't pay much attention to it anyways.

Good luck with your car hunt! keep us posted - and post few pics when you buy your new ride :)

Edited by Hyaenidae

29 minutes ago, Hyaenidae said:

Seriously, you'll drop the 141 if it doesn't have a momentary FE display? If I was you I'll go for the 141 over the Axio X any day...

After looking up it on YT I'm about 80% sure that it had one and I missed it - it was a rental car so I didn't pay much attention to it anyways.

Good luck with your car hunt! keep us posted - and post few pics when you buy your new ride :)

Ha ha. I just said it. But not the basic X one.  "X Limited", the one came with RPM meter. 

But on a serious note, 1.6L engine fits perfect for me, So I'm going for 141 & i'll hunt it within next couple of weeks. and yeah I'll post few pics too.

Thanks for your help mate. Much respect! ?

Edited by KasuNila

8 hours ago, KasuNila said:

It does and so is G grade. Why don't you look for a 1.8 luxel which has more goodies.

141s of 2007/8 are kind of basic actually .  2010+ are much better. 

Edited by hrm

6 hours ago, hrm said:

It does and so is G grade. Why don't you look for a 1.8 luxel which has more goodies.

141s of 2007/8 are kind of basic actually .  2010+ are much better. 

2010+ 141s are going for 3.8 - 4.0 M. Don't you think a Allion 260 (2007-08) would be a better buy than a 2010+ 141 or a 1.8L luxel?  I was willing to spend around 3.3 to 3.5 M. But the budget can be stretched up to 4.2M if needed.  But paying 4M+ for a 12 years old car..... isn't it something to think twice?

2 hours ago, KasuNila said:

2010+ 141s are going for 3.8 - 4.0 M. Don't you think a Allion 260 (2007-08) would be a better buy than a 2010+ 141 or a 1.8L luxel?  I was willing to spend around 3.3 to 3.5 M. But the budget can be stretched up to 4.2M if needed.  But paying 4M+ for a 12 years old car..... isn't it something to think twice?

Yes Allion is a good choice but for that budget you find mostly hacked Allions though they might look shiny from outside. Unless you are lucky of cource. There could be a handful number of cars that are well kept. 

Well spending that kind of money on a 12 year old really depends on the condition of the car and how much it fulfils your requirements. 

• Like 1

This is not rocket science. Fuel quantity is based on Torque demand(calculated based on Pedal position,Vehicle speed etc) If theres no Torque demand, the Injector opening time will be reduced close to 0ms.  On highend Euro or US cars however is a more advanced system,where the Control unit can deactivate some cylinders during coasting/cruising(4 cylinders of a V8 engine deactivated)

Edited by vag2

On 2/1/2019 at 10:22 PM, KasuNila said:

But do you really think such tech in a 18 years old car? 

Machan IT IS NOT HIGH TECH!!! Most probably it might have been in the cars from the 90’s.It’s just simple programming done to the ecu.When the engine goes over a certain rpm limit (running) the fuel is cut off.Don’t think that it is a miracle.As far as I know there were V6 or V8 which can dissable one cylinder bank while cruising in highways to boost the economy in the 1990s.

Do you know that Dynamic Radar Cruise Control,Auto parking and Pre-Crash Safety system were on the 2007 Axio?That’s pretty high tech stuff compared to this fuel-cut function.

Edited by alpha17

On 2/2/2019 at 3:52 AM, KasuNila said:

Thanks for your reply mate.  Well... may be it had. But I never tried it. coz there wasn't any MPG display(indicator) to check it. not even a eco light. and also it was a manual transmission one. So every time I used to go downhill in neutral. But do you really think such tech in a 18 years old car? 

And yeah, driving pattern do have a huge impact on fuel economy. No sudden accelerations, Maintain a steady speed, Avoid high speeds. I've tried all ?

Did your 2001 CS1 have an EFI engine?

Most CS1 Lancers of that time came with a carburettor 4G13 engine. So no injectors, no ECU.